Tech Day VII

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Anything below 65 degrees is COLD

cold.gif

Why do you think FlyingJ is down in Texas right now?
punk.gif

Bust I have a few questions:

1. Can I pitch a tent in your backyard?

2. If not what are some nearby low price hotels?

3. What do ya drink (or smoke)? Can't show without a gift for the host.

4. What kind of connector is on the Widder vest?

5. If there is room does someone want to help me wire up a fuse block and a connector for this vest? I have the fuse block, I bought it on closeout from FarkleMasters.

Thanks

Has anyone who's planning on attending have any first hand experience in changing out the bearings in the wheels? Is that something that could be done there, or should I figure on doing it beforehand? The primary reason for wanting to attend, is I am hoping the mechanical whizards who usually show up can figure out what the "clunking" sound is in the front end.

On a side note...if anyone has thought about installing RT gold valves, I have a second set that was sent to me by mistake. And my mistake was in me never sending them back.

Anyways, looking forward to seeing y'all in a couple weeks.

Has anyone who's planning on attending have any first hand experience in changing out the bearings in the wheels? Is that something that could be done there, or should I figure on doing it beforehand? The primary reason for wanting to attend, is I am hoping the mechanical whizards who usually show up can figure out what the "clunking" sound is in the front end.
I've done a lot of wheel bearings on my dirt bikes over the years so changing out yours will not be a problem as long as you have a new set to install. The clunking from the front end could be a few different issues. If you put the bike up on the center stand and then jack the front wheel so that it is off the ground, grab the front wheel and see if you can feel any lateral movement. If there is some movement then the wheel bearings are bad. If you grab the forks and try moving them fore and aft. If you can feel any movement then the steering head bearings are loose. You may get away with just an adjustment but it is worthwhile to pull it apart and re-grease the bearings.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've done a lot of wheel bearings on my dirt bikes over the years so changing out yours will not be a problem as long as you have a new set to install. I had a new set for front and back delivered before CFO, so we're good to go on that front. The clunking from the front end could be a few different issues. If you put the bike up on the center stand and then jack the front wheel so that it is off the ground, grab the front wheel and see if you can feel any lateral movement. If there is some movement then the wheel bearings are bad. If you grab the forks and try moving them fore and aft. If you can feel any movement then the steering head bearings are loose. Been there, done that. Installed new tapered bearings last winter. You may get away with just an adjustment but it is worthwhile to pull it apart and re-grease the bearings. I've taken that front end apart half a dozen times since winter, re-greasing, re-torqueing and for a time it goes away. But then reappears within a short time. Maybe I'm just not tightening the second nut enough.
Either way, I could use a little more edjumakation about the front end. And so I'll save the bearing install for Tech Day.

• If the weather isn't too nasty I might show up Saturday, bike is way down on power and feels like it's only running on 2 cylinders,.....oh wait I forgot I bought a Harley.
    banghead.gif

• Might show up anyway if I can remember where Bust's house is.

I can help set up your fuse block if you have all of the components.

Bust I have a few questions:
1. Can I pitch a tent in your backyard?

2. If not what are some nearby low price hotels?

3. What do ya drink (or smoke)? Can't show without a gift for the host.

4. What kind of connector is on the Widder vest?

5. If there is room does someone want to help me wire up a fuse block and a connector for this vest? I have the fuse block, I bought it on closeout from FarkleMasters.

Thanks

Um ... Concerning #3... It would be better to PM what he smokes! And concerning the drink... LOLSorry Bust... NOT!
Hey now! I'm legal to posses and cultivate here now.

punk.gif

Plenty of room out back for a tent Kirk, or if nobody takes it the couch in the garage sleeps pretty good. The vest use's a standard 12 volt ciggy lighter outlet.

Plenty of room out back for a tent Kirk, or if nobody takes it the couch in the garage sleeps pretty good. The vest use's a standard 12 volt ciggy lighter outlet.
Looks like I won't be able to make it...again...
upset.gif
So there's one spot somewhere at Casa de Bust opened up.

Hey Bustanut ...was planning on surprizing you, but looks like I'm making the run with Martin and his group. However did I here you were supplying the smoke .....might have to change my mind lol Have a great Tech day ...be heading back up your way in a few weeks.

I didn't have enough fun on my last trip so I want to do it again. Who's Jimmy ???? I will get up there to see ya before the snow fly's my friend. it's always fun to get two ball busters in the same room :) Like I said hope all goes well !!

Will bring a tent n bag if needed, just let me know B. Or if you've got a comphy picnic table out back, that might suffice.
Don't worry Mike. We'll figure out something for ya. Not positive on the count but I think we have either one bed and/or the pull out still available.

Looks like Andy mighta picked a good weekend this time. Supposed to be warm with maybe a bit of rain in the evening..
smile.png

Much like my last visit, I won't be leaving the Twin Cities until after work. So once again an early Sat. a.m. arrival.

However unlike my last visit, this time I'll be bringing liquid refreshments. A man can mooch from another man's beer supply for only so long before shame finally kicks in.

C'ya all in a couple.