The 2009 clutch

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Further

Reaction score
So it's known that the 09 has a easier clutch. Some have theorized that they just went back to the Gen I clutch slave cylinder, (which I swapped on my '08 to some small improvement). I tried the new clutch on an 09 at the MC show this weekend, and it seemed even easier that the Gen I I'm using. But has anyone had the opportunity to actually check part #'s yet to see if it's the Gen I or a whole NEW slave cylinder?

I was wondering the same thing. I had wanted to switch out the slave on my 2008 with the GEN I but then thought I would just switch it out to the 2009 one.

Any other thoughts?

So it's known that the 09 has a easier clutch. Some have theorized that they just went back to the Gen I clutch slave cylinder, (which I swapped on my '08 to some small improvement). I tried the new clutch on an 09 at the MC show this weekend, and it seemed even easier that the Gen I I'm using. But has anyone had the opportunity to actually check part #'s yet to see if it's the Gen I or a whole NEW slave cylinder?
Part # for the 09 slave cylinder is the same as the 05.........5JW-16381-00-00

Part #'s for 06,7 & 8 are................................................2D2-16381-00-00

Brewsky,

Good job on the PN research, is there any way you could find out if the master cylinder is the same from the 09' to the 07'?

My point is if we can tell if that is the only change, if the master cylinder diameter has changed thn we have a whole new variable.

Thanks!

I'll tell you it sure would be nice to make that clutch lever easier to squeeze and ease. I too did the slave cyclinder swap and I personally didn't notice much of a difference.

Brewsky,
Good job on the PN research, is there any way you could find out if the master cylinder is the same from the 09' to the 07'?

My point is if we can tell if that is the only change, if the master cylinder diameter has changed thn we have a whole new variable.

Thanks!
The clutch master cylinders have not changed at least as far back as 2005....5JW-W2645-01-00.

Same # for 2009 models.

I'll tell you it sure would be nice to make that clutch lever easier to squeeze and ease. I too did the slave cyclinder swap and I personally didn't notice much of a difference.
Start rubbin' off with yer left hand Chris.. Won't be long an the clutch will feel like butter :lol:

Me? I'm a "manly man". Didn't feel the clutch was all that bad. But I never had no fancy pants Hydro unit before this..

:jester:

Last edited by a moderator:
I also did the swap and the pull is somewhat easier. What you give up though, is lever adjustability. Now the levers must be farther away from the bars so the clutch will disengage completely. Kinda ruined the extra adjustability feature of the Pazzo levers I added at the same time I did the swap.

Start rubbin' off with yer left hand Chris.. Won't be long an the clutch will feel like butter :lol:

Me? I'm a "manly man". Didn't feel the clutch was all that bad. But I never had no fancy pants Hydro unit before this..

:jester:
You know I been trying that however the clutch still feels stiff.......... :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: