The 2015/2016 Big FJR Tire Poll

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

When it is time to replace the tires (pick 3)

• I have a shop change them

Votes: 228 49.1%
  • I change my own (or have a friend change them)

Votes: 178 38.4%
  • I change them in sets (front and rear at the same time)

Votes: 193 41.6%
  • I change them when they wear out (not in at the same time)

Votes: 199 42.9%
  • I always use the same brand and model front and rear (matched sets)

Votes: 258 55.6%
  • I sometimes use different model tires front and rear and select what I think is the best for each.

Votes: 77 16.6%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I've got 7100 miles on the '14 ES's stock tires, and the rear is almost to the center wear bars, with a NH state inspection due by July 1st (ain't gonna happen). Front OEM still looks OK for another 4-5k miles.

Just ordered a PR2 rear (stock size) for $145 from Rocky Mountain ATV. At that price it's hard to justify putting anything else back there.

Metzler Roadtec Z8. Great performance, not high mileage though. High price! Lol.

Last edited by a moderator:
Impressions after 100 miles on Michelin PR4GTs. (Funny! I typoed "PR$GT". Freudian.)

1) These tires turn in so quickly it's like they would prefer turning rather than keeping a straight line. Not a bad thing, but it's something to get used to.

2) Grip is good when heeled at steep angles. That comparison may be a little unfair since the old Bridgestones were 10,000 miles old. (No, I still haven't scraped pegs.)

3) Rolling resistance is nil. Used to take some effort and a hand on the garage door track to back the FJR out; now she backs much more easily.

Riding to Kingsport Sunday; a little over 500 miles round trip. That should burn off the "new tire whiskers" and give me a better impression of what the tires will do. If it keeps raining, I'll know about their wet grip.

Got another 700 miles on the PR4GTs (Kingsport + other). Updated opinion:

The bike handles noticeably better, providing confidence to lean farther and enter the turn hotter. Two hours of wet riding on the return from Kingsport and they did mighty fine.

If these tires make it to 8K miles, I'll be surprised -- it would be too good to be true.

Got another 700 miles on the PR4GTs (Kingsport + other). Updated opinion:
The bike handles noticeably better, providing confidence to lean farther and enter the turn hotter. Two hours of wet riding on the return from Kingsport and they did mighty fine.

If these tires make it to 8K miles, I'll be surprised -- it would be too good to be true.
Got 8200 out of my rear PR4 nonGT, wasn't at the wear bars yet, easily would have made 9k. I usually get about 6500 at best.

Any comments on mounting the T 30's with a No Marr tire changer ?

I think I read they are a bear to mount by hand.

I have mounted a ton of Pilot Road 2's with it but the T 30's look like they are worth a try if it's not too much trouble.

Any comments on mounting the T 30's with a No Marr tire changer ?I think I read they are a bear to mount by hand.

I have mounted a ton of Pilot Road 2's with it but the T 30's look like they are worth a try if it's not too much trouble.
T30's are much more difficult, especially the GT spec versions due to the suffer sidewalls. You can do it but it will require more effort

Any comments on mounting the T 30's with a No Marr tire changer ?I think I read they are a bear to mount by hand.

BTDT with my NoMar, not fun with the T30s and swore I'd never mount a GT rear again. Been running the PR4 rear andT30 front but with the Bridgestone sale right now decided to try the Evo version front and rear, hoping they're not as stiff. Have a pair sitting here right now but won't be mounting for a while yet.

The sale and rebate is what I was looking at but decided to stick with what I know and that is a Pilot Road 2's. Cost more coin but from what I am reading will last longer so it's even in my eyes.

Thanks for the response

Scooper

The sale and rebate is what I was looking at but decided to stick with what I know and that is a Pilot Road 2's. Cost more coin but from what I am reading will last longer so it's even in my eyes.Thanks for the response

Scooper
The front I recently fitted to mine has done 14500. I'd estimate that it has about 1000 miles left. New one is waiting. I paid $120.

I've been using Metzlers since the '05 was new. That was near 70,000 miles ago. It came with Z4's, or maybe Z6's, and now I use Z8's. I get at least 10, 000 miles per set, except for the one rear that picked up a nail. No complaints, wet or dry. WBill

Thanks Twigg

I am a PR2 fan and have run several sets on my 2004 before I traded for the 2013.

Front Bridgestone is shot at 6000 but never had the confidence inspiring feel the PR2's have.

Scooper

IBA # 55459

Shinko 09 Ravens for me...I was in the "too cheap must be crap" club, but after a couple of buddies have been using them and liked them I tried them..had them on my DL1000 Vstrom, and my Versys and liked them. i just put a pair on my FJR only have 1000 miles on them, but so far, so good don't forsee any problem....but i'm no way an aggressive rider

Shinko 09 Ravens for me...I was in the "too cheap must be crap" club, but after a couple of buddies have been using them and liked them I tried them..had them on my DL1000 Vstrom, and my Versys and liked them. i just put a pair on my FJR only have 1000 miles on them, but so far, so good don't forsee any problem....but i'm no way an aggressive rider
I to just put on a set of Ravens and have a few hundred miles on them. So far, they feel good but did require a fair amount of scrub in to get there. The turn in is lighter than 'stones and took a bit to get used to but I think I got it and feel more comfortable pushing to the bike's limit on my next ride. I still have about 1/2" chicken strips on the rear and usually have none!

I had to mark my favorite still as the Pirelli's, but my current front tire is cupping badly at only 3800 miles. Back tire is still pretty good. I usually have the back wear out first and go ahead and replace the set well before 5,000 but this time it's the front. The Metzlers I used to use before were much worse than the Pirelli GT's I've used the last few changes. I think I'm going to try the Michelins this time for comparison once I decide between 2's, 3's and 4's.

PR2 - the old standby. I like the rears, but not the fronts so much.

PR3 - Great initial feel; noisy at mid-life. Less life than the 2's.

PR4 - Expensive but probably the next one I will try. Reputed to live longer than the 3's.

Ross... mix tires. It's OK to do that, honest.

Just find a front that you can use with your PR2 rear and you'll thank me when you do.

(PS - I'm going with a T30GT on the front of my '14 whenever I wear out the OE BT023F, BT023R rear has already been superseded by a PR2)

Ross... mix tires. It's OK to do that, honest. Just find a front that you can use with your PR2 rear and you'll thank me when you do.

(PS - I'm going with a T30GT on the front of my '14 whenever I wear out the OE BT023F, BT023R rear has already been superseded by a PR2)
That is EXACTLY my current configuration. I can get the PR2 at a pretty good price locally - just put one on. The T30 GT I am now running has over 8,000 miles on it and still looks pretty good. (75% slab for that tire so life will be much better than usual). I used to match front and rear tire brand but don't any more. I also used to change them in pairs but don't do that as much. It is, however, really nice to have new skins on both front and rear at the same time!

Status
Not open for further replies.