The 2015/2016 Big FJR Tire Poll

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

When it is time to replace the tires (pick 3)

• I have a shop change them

Votes: 228 49.1%
  • I change my own (or have a friend change them)

Votes: 178 38.4%
  • I change them in sets (front and rear at the same time)

Votes: 193 41.6%
  • I change them when they wear out (not in at the same time)

Votes: 199 42.9%
  • I always use the same brand and model front and rear (matched sets)

Votes: 258 55.6%
  • I sometimes use different model tires front and rear and select what I think is the best for each.

Votes: 77 16.6%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, a nice long wearing PR2 rear, plus a T30 front that has a nice even wearing profile fits the bill for me for typical riding.

(However, I did order two Pilot Power fronts last year for local mountain riding...because a certain extrememarine convinced me that it will be fun for local rides)

I will try them out soon...

I'm placing an order now for the T30GT for the front and the PR2 for the rear. I won't replace the rear yet. I almost went with the PR4 but it's $46 more at the place I will order from and I've never tried the PR2, so I figure I should at least once.

Yeah, a nice long wearing PR2 rear, plus a T30 front that has a nice even wearing profile fits the bill for me for typical riding.
(However, I did order two Pilot Power fronts last year for local mountain riding...because a certain extrememarine convinced me that it will be fun for local rides)

I've never tried the Pilot Power on the front but did on the rear one time- stuck like glue wet or dry but didn't last long. Interesting to know what you discover. The only time I tried a grippier tire on the front it accentuated my front end wiggle into a death wobble.

I am testing yet another set of tires. This time it is the Metzeler Sportec M7 RR. Why would I try that tire? Its not a sport touring tire. Well, No one seems to know alot about this tire. Even when you call Metzeler, they dont have alot of feedback from riders about the tire in the real world. Is it going to last long like a PR or a Angel GT? Probably not. Will it ride good and handle good? So far so good. The tires were easy to mount, thank you George!!
smile.png

The Angel GT I just took off the front had 7000 miles on it and it was pretty used up thanks to the GREAT Oregon roads a couple of weeks ago. The rear Angle GT still looks really good with just 3000 miles on it.

product_sheet_SportecM7RR_460X500.png
Tire test complete.

4600 Miles

Starting out, the tires were VERY easy to mount. Thanks George!! The tires ride and handle very very good when new. The front tire is also very quiet. I would also describe them as "Good n sticky". The majority of these tires life was used for my trip to Spearfish. 3400 miles. The rear tire on a loaded FJR while riding alot of interstate wore surprisingly well. The downside of these set of tires is when the tires hit about 4000. The tires did not handle well at all. The tires did not want to hold a constant line while exiting a highway onto a cloverleaf or on some technical twisties. Sometimes it was downright scary.

Bottom line, Great tire but not for the FJR. If you have a light weight sport bike, naked bike or even the FJ09, this tire would be a great tire for those types of bikes.

I've never tried the Pilot Power on the front but did on the rear one time- stuck like glue wet or dry but didn't last long. Interesting to know what you discover. The only time I tried a grippier tire on the front it accentuated my front end wiggle into a death wobble.
Now it's all making sense...extrememarine is trying to take me out!

After reading a bit I decided to try Shinko tires. I met a guy who had them on his Kawi Concours and loved them. At about 1/2 the price ($150 set) I figured it was worth a try. We shall see. So far I have about 500 miles on them and so far so good... But then again every tire feels good for the first few thousand miles.

Established in 1946, the Shinko Group began as a manufacturer of bicycle tires and tubes in Osaka, Japan that today has become a burgeoning manufacture of rubber products.

In 1998 the Shinko Group purchased the motorcycle tire technology and molds from Yokohama Rubber Co., and began production of these products under the Shinko Tire brand. With manufacturing based in South Korea and design based in Japan, the company has seamlessly combined Japanese engineering and design principles with South Korean production and quality control standards. Today Shinko Tires produces approximately 200,000 motorcycle tires per month.

After reading a bit I decided to try Shinko tires. I met a guy who had them on his Kawi Concours and loved them. At about 1/2 the price ($150 set) I figured it was worth a try. We shall see. So far I have about 500 miles on them and so far so good... But then again every tire feels good for the first few thousand miles.
Established in 1946, the Shinko Group began as a manufacturer of bicycle tires and tubes in Osaka, Japan that today has become a burgeoning manufacture of rubber products.

In 1998 the Shinko Group purchased the motorcycle tire technology and molds from Yokohama Rubber Co., and began production of these products under the Shinko Tire brand. With manufacturing based in South Korea and design based in Japan, the company has seamlessly combined Japanese engineering and design principles with South Korean production and quality control standards. Today Shinko Tires produces approximately 200,000 motorcycle tires per month.
I am currently running a set of Shinko 009 Ravens and after scuffing them in and using them for the past 800 miles, I like them. Granted, they have not been pushed yet on tight, curvy, peg-dragging roads yet, but with only about 1/3" chicken strips on the rear, they have stuck well and not reduced my confidence while riding. One thing to note, compared to the 023 and T30 Bridgestones, the Ravens lean in with virtually no effort on the rider's part. Both 'stones seemed to require constant effort/pressure to maintain your line in a curve. The Ravens just lean easily and seem willing, maybe too willing, to keep leaning/falling in.

Avon Storm 3 XM Front and Rear at 22,400.

Last edited by a moderator:
Currently have 9500+ miles on a set of Metzlers (Roadtec Z6), not down to the wear-bars on the rear yet. The front has lots of tread but is starting to cup. I can't complain about the mileage, but the Metzlers don't feel as nice as my previous tires which were Michelin PP2CT. I got 10,000 miles out of them before I was down to the casing in the middle of the rear, but they were the nicest feeling tires I've ever had in my limited experience, so they get my vote as my favorite.

I'm using Continental conti-motion tires which are very resonable priced, handle/stick really well and last a resonably long time. I got 7,500 on the rear tire and about 10K on the front before replacing them.
I know it's largely how you ride, but I just had to replace my rear conti-motion after about 5k miles. It was down to the cords. The front will probably last another 1k or so but the rear was done.

Currently I'm at 6,730 on a set of T30s, should be able ta break the 7K barrier!
punk.gif

I've run a few PP2CTs, and they turn in great, stick like glue, but don't last. (Could barely muster 4 K outta 'em.) Never had no death wobble.

I'm using Continental conti-motion tires which are very resonable priced, handle/stick really well and last a resonably long time. I got 7,500 on the rear tire and about 10K on the front before replacing them.
I know it's largely how you ride, but I just had to replace my rear conti-motion after about 5k miles. It was down to the cords. The front will probably last another 1k or so but the rear was done.
First tires on mine were Conti Motion's (used bike). Decent dry grip, so so wet, price point awesome and widely available. Im a everyday commuter as well as on days off love hitting WNC curves for fun. Also some hard accels and high speed sprints riding with friends on Ducatis and Triumphs. Total milage till cords showing on rears 5.5k running 40 front 42 rear. Not a "flickable" tire imho infact a little wooden or dull feeling to me but nice for soaking up bumps on road when commuting or slabbing. some cupping in front toward last 1k and some tracking issues as well last 1k.

Running Roadsmart 2's now and liking them so far at 2k

I have gone through a number of tire types in my 84,000 miles then I came across the Michelin PR 3's, I ran 3 set of them and was pleased with performance, tire life and wet handling so when the PR 4's came out I was eager to try them and with the advertised 20% more tread life that would be great. So by 7-8 thousand miles I need to think about replacing them, (got 10K out or the 3's) and was not happy with the performance. I was going to install PR 3's again but a co-worker who also rides an FJR told me about the Avon Storm 3D's I checked the reviews and decided to give them a go. It took 2000 miles to break them in on dry pavement, they also seemed to need a longer warm up time than other tires too but when it comes to wet weather riding these tires are the worst in my decades of riding. Slipping and sliding even when the road is damp they break free, never had tires do this before so I called Avon at 3000 miles and told them my issues. They agreed to get me a credit with the dealer for a set of tires so once I had time I ordered PR 3's and had them installed this morning. Now to see if Avon will follow through with their promise of getting my money back and I plan on sticking with the PR 3"s until I can't get them anymore.

Just changed out the Metzeler Z8 rear (190/55) I was trying, it made it to 8000 miles, worn to the cords in the middle. I just installed a PR4 to give it a whirl. I'm usually more interested in performance grip than longevity. Kinda thinking along the lines of Roadrunner... perhaps the PR3 would suit me better (curious what you didn't like about the PR4).

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="pcarnut" data-cid="1250240" data-time="1438883851"><p>

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="bigjohnsd" data-cid="1250201" data-time="1438876416"><p>Avon Storm 3 XM Front and Rear at 22,400.</p></blockquote>

That's the mileage on the bike or the miles the tires lasted? </p></blockquote>

Mileage on the bike when installed, now at 27,000 and they have 5/32 tread remaining on the rear, only in the rain once but no issues there.

I put on T30 front and PR4 this spring. Nice handling. I don't care who you are, if you lift the front end of the bike, that rear tire isn't going to go 10 K miles...in fact, I'd be happy with 8K.

Status
Not open for further replies.