The 2015/2016 Big FJR Tire Poll

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

When it is time to replace the tires (pick 3)

• I have a shop change them

Votes: 228 49.1%
  • I change my own (or have a friend change them)

Votes: 178 38.4%
  • I change them in sets (front and rear at the same time)

Votes: 193 41.6%
  • I change them when they wear out (not in at the same time)

Votes: 199 42.9%
  • I always use the same brand and model front and rear (matched sets)

Votes: 258 55.6%
  • I sometimes use different model tires front and rear and select what I think is the best for each.

Votes: 77 16.6%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="HaulinAshe" data-cid="1264118" data-time="1444508066"><p>

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="DezzertRider" data-cid="1229896" data-time="1431619037"><p>I use to purchase the Pilot Road tires but they have become ridiculously expensive. I'm using Continental conti-motion tires which are very resonable priced, handle/stick really well and last a resonably long time. I got 7,500 on the rear tire and about 10K on the front before replacing them. In the future, I will replace as a set. Once I replaced the front tire, it felt like a new bike again.</p></blockquote>

I will take the time to both condone and condemn this choice. I know people who ran the Conti-motions on Gen-I and loved them. I ran several sets on my Gen-II and hated every minute. In fact, after I'd made my mind up to never buy them again, I ran one more set just to prove myself wrong. NOT!!!<br />

<br />

The rear Conti-motion never seemed to handle the slightly longer geometry of the Gen-II. The rear was always stepping out and making me nervous, or at least aware that I was pushing the tire to its limit. I prefer to push the bike to its limit and not have to concern myself with whether or not the tire is up for the challenge.<br />

<br />

All that said, I will restate that the Conti-motion seems to do very well on a Gen-I. And they are cheap!!!</p></blockquote>

Uncle Hud, I was wondering how these tires are doing. Georgia has a longer season. I figured the miles might be piling on.

Last edited by a moderator:
I wanted to wait to get enough miles on a T30 front to be sure, but I am positive now that my experience is not just the ANTI (Any New Tire Improvement) factor.

I have run many sets of PR2 rear and BT023GT fronts (more rears than fronts, obviously) on my 1st Gen with fully modified suspension. I was always quite happy with that setup, about as happy as I was with a Pirelli Diablo Strada and PR2 pair.

When my 2014 ES wore out it's OEM BT023R rear tire I slapped a PR2 on the back with the half worn BT023F, and it felt pretty much how I remembered it on the 1st Gen, albeit with the more comfortable overall , adjustable ES suspension. When the BT023F was done I put a T30GT on the front and immediately noticed a big improvement in turn in, and what felt more confidence inspiring while cornering and holding a line. I assumed it was just the "ANTI" effect, but now I am convinced that the tire's shape (profile) being somewhat steeper is what results in the steering improvement. That coupled with the ES front end has really resulted in a nice improvement in handling.

I think the T30GT is the best front tire for an FJR I've yet to experience. It doesn't hurt that they are relatively inexpensive.

Looks like I'm ahead of the curve on this one.

I think the T30GT is the best front tire for an FJR I've yet to experience. It doesn't hurt that they are relatively inexpensive.
It also works without the ES front forks on the clearly superior and faster 2005 Gen I.
smile.png

I wanted to wait to get enough miles on a T30 front to be sure, but I am positive now that my experience is not just the ANTI (Any New Tire Improvement) factor.
I have run many sets of PR2 rear and BT023GT fronts (more rears than fronts, obviously) on my 1st Gen with fully modified suspension. I was always quite happy with that setup, about as happy as I was with a Pirelli Diablo Strada and PR2 pair.

When my 2014 ES wore out it's OEM BT023R rear tire I slapped a PR2 on the back with the half worn BT023F, and it felt pretty much how I remembered it on the 1st Gen, albeit with the more comfortable overall , adjustable ES suspension. When the BT023F was done I put a T30GT on the front and immediately noticed a big improvement in turn in, and what felt more confidence inspiring while cornering and holding a line. I assumed it was just the "ANTI" effect, but now I am convinced that the tire's shape (profile) being somewhat steeper is what results in the steering improvement. That coupled with the ES front end has really resulted in a nice improvement in handling.

I likez the front & rear T30s. I dun got 7,200 K outta the last set 'n that's 'bout what I ever got outta PRIIs. Butt, the T30s cost less, turn in way bettah, 'n have more grip. Fer me it's a win, win, win.
thumbsup.gif
No more over priced Michelin crap for me!

(I mostly ride solo, and found the regular non GTs tro work better w/ my suspension.)

Most of my riding is 2lane and at least 50% 2up. Very little slab.

Original 023 Stones went 5500 miles and was first time I ever wore out a front tire before rear (rear had another 1K in it but changed)

PR$ GT's went 9500 miles. Changed out both about 1K early due to upcoming trip. These tires did everything well but somewhat squirmy on cold wet tar snakes.

Angel GT's A spec on rear. Have almost 5000 miles on now. First 3000 was on Lake Superior loop ride and front was showing fairly significant wear off center (tires 40/42)Bike loaded heavy 2up with tank bag). Mileage since has shown/measured almost 0 wear of front.Extrapolating from wear measurements I think I will see about 9K miles.

Thoughts: If the bike was to be pushed hard in corners , loaded, I think it would be not to hard to wear the front Angel out first also

The Angels road much less harsh (transmitted road shock) than the PR4. Angels also stuck like glue and NEVER squirmed on cold wet tar snakes (or hot for that matter), (best tire I have ever used in this regard)

Angels and PR4's performed equally well in rain.

Anybody use Pilot Power 3's? I currently have Pilot Road 2's and have gotten about 5k out of them. I'm planning on doing a ( full ) track day this summer. I've done several smaller track days with the Pilot Road 2's and they have worked fine ( scraping pegs ). Just wondering if Pilot Power 3's would be a better choice higher speed and sticking.

Seems like everybody with FJR's runs the Roads. Just wondering if the Powers would be safe on the FJR because of the weight and also concerned about just getting 2-3k out of them.

Not a big fan of the sipes on the Pilot Road 3's.

Dunlop RoadSmart II, This is my first sport touring bike I first of FJR compared to the Metzlers that were on it when I got it 300 miles, or so on them I can say they are much better.

I'll keep you posted on the wear and further developments.

I always change my tires in pares,match brand and model when available.

I usually remove the wheels and take them to the shop to have new tires mounted and balanced and then reinstall the wheels myself, a good time to check on the brakes clean the wheels ....

I plan to use my track takeoff Dunlop Q3's. These tires have amazing grip and are very competitively priced. I always have several sets worn quite a bit on the sides and barely in the middle. Now I finally have something to put them to good use on.

I've decided that, for at least a little while, I'm leaving the Darkside and I'm going Fatside. Why? Welp, the General G-Max I've been running is fine but I got gift cards and other discounts at bikebandit.com so I ordered a set of Michelins. Not the Pilot Road- tried them, didn't like them. The tire I tried once before was the Pilot Power 2CT, a grippier sport bike/track day tire. Loved that thing, stuck like glue. I'd run them all the time if the price was right! This time it was- I got the set for $226: 90 front, 136 rear.

Is anybody running the pr4 trail on their FJR? My local bike shop wants me to be the trial bike for our area. I do live in Kansas so the hardest corners I get into is on & off the turnpike but I don't want a howling tire.

^^^^ Why, to what end? You'll be running a narrower tire [170 vs 180] and from what I've read, a softer middle compound vs a standard PR4.

--G

Is anybody running the pr4 trail on their FJR? My local bike shop wants me to be the trial bike for our area. I do live in Kansas so the hardest corners I get into is on & off the turnpike but I don't want a howling tire.
I'd do it it the tire were free.

Wish the tire was free but there reason is because there are four PR4 tires & this one had the hardest compounds which means it should last longer.

Yes, but not for fjr. The third is for trial

Yes, but not for fjr. The third is for trail

Yes .... and that is the question: Is anyone running the PR4 Trail? Michelin video and info page here: https://motorcycle.michelinman.com/tires/michelin-pilot-road-4-trail

Notes:

1. Fine print underneath the video says: "Available in three versions: Standard, GT, and Trail."

2. Second segment of the video features a 2016 FJR.

3. Their website https://moto.michelin.co.uk/roadbook/ has a pulldown menu with details of the roadways featured in the film. Maybe the Gen4 FJRs will be able to float across the Atlantic to some of these very cool places.

To the OP: I would ask in return, "Why use the trail version, when the GT is recommended for FJRs?" Do you ride dirt roads on your bike? I do, accidentally, but realize some folks do it on purpose.

I had ask to à friend, Who work at Ymf. He just call me back with this answar. If you whant to fall, do it... This tire is to slim, and his profile is not Good for a gt bike.

Status
Not open for further replies.