The bloom is off the rose

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The rubber protectors on the front fork seals seem to let grit through a bit too easily, which can cause some problems during long-term dusty road/gravel excursions.

At least, that's what the local Yamaha dealer told me when my forks started leaking.
When I was at GP Suspension last year for my fork upgrade, they suggested replacing the dust seal on an annual basis to protect the fork seal. The dust seal is easily removed and replaced in your garage once the forks are pulled off the bike (unlike the actual fork seal that requires disassembly of the fork).

How did you realize it was a 2010, and not a 2011? I didn't notice. Did you see the 2011 Honda ST1300 for $17,000.00? They haven't changed anything since 2003. How to they justify $17,000.00?

PS. The Tenere looked great. I can see one in my future.
No heated grips. Then I looked at the vin plate. Then I asked the rep who also looked at the vin plate and seemed surprised. Granted the K1600GTL was the hit of the ST line. It reminded me of 2006 when my wife and I went to sit on the new Gen 2 to see if it suited us both. Remember back then that was the only way to get a feel for it before you plunked down your money. There were huge crowds around it, just like the BMW this year. I will admit, I sipped of the Koolaid a little this year. Well beyond my ability to pay I'm guessing. Super ergos for me.

The Triumph Tiger 800 was my choice for Adventure bike. I wonder if the Adventure set is similar to the SUV crowd, the most off road 90% have ever been is a dirt driveway.
Did you like the K1600GTL? It looked huge to me. Way more of a goldwing then a sport touring bike. I was surprised that they didn't have the K1600GT there. There are some differences between the two and it would have been nice to see the two.

Right now, if I do anything, I'm looking to supplement by '07 FJR, not replace it, with something more suitable to dirt/gravel roads, but not hard core trails. I also don't see a need for a bike that is a great long-range ride, as that's what my Feejer is for. My 6'3" and 34-inch inseam militates towards something taller, but a F800GS just seems like its more bike (and too much overlap) than I want. The F650, from what I can tell (reading, admittedly) might make me cramped. Leaving me thinking about the Triumph. Again, tho', concern I may be in overkill world.

Did you like the K1600GTL? It looked huge to me. Way more of a goldwing then a sport touring bike. I was surprised that they didn't have the K1600GT there. There are some differences between the two and it would have been nice to see the two.

I did like it alot. Yes, it definitely leans heavily toward the "tour" side of sport tourer, although much sportier looking than the Wing. Most of my riding is 2up and the extra room would be nice. Being on the short side (29" inseam) I was instantly comfortable with the seating position.

However, if I were to buy a bike of that caliber, I would want all the bells and whistles. They haven't come up with the pricing yet but I would guess that fully loaded it will be north of 30 grand. Too rich for my blood. I am waiting to see if Triumph comes up with a nice package on the rumored new Trophy.