The Death Wobble

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am placeing an order for some PR2's from Derby Cycles today. My tire looks just like Wee Willy's picture...I was hoping to get a few more miles out of them but not now. Thanks Guys! :clapping:
Just ordered some yesterday... ordered the B spec and they are on BO... told them to send the standard spec and they are on the way... just a heads up.

Ordered mine today too and found the same about the B spec back order. They called and offered to cancel the order if I wanted, but I don't really need 'em right away, so I told them to send it when they get it. He said maybe late June I think. My front looks a little like Wee Willy's pic but then again, I'm not planning on hitting triple-digit speeds in the near future...
ditto on the W2 pics... looks like it could have been taken of mine...

I'm not planning on hitting triple-digit speeds in the near future...
*ussy .... B)

No weebles or wobbles. I get some head shake at about 189mph. ;)
I know the feeling....I get rudder/aileron lock between 680 to 700, but once I hear the loud [SIZE=12pt]BOOM[/SIZE] Frankenbike smooths right out.

03 motors really ARE faster! :p
Old Howie - You know the true blue bikes are good for mach 3+. Don't be tellin' me your bench racin' stories. :p

130 last week on a pretty worn (okay but will need replacement in 500-1k miles) front tire, solid as a rock.

You guys with the bad wobbles...I'm having a hard time seeing cupped front tires causing that much shake at high speeds. It used to happen to me at LOWER speeds when the tire is obviously moving slow. I'm not saying it's not happening or can't happen, but are you sure you didn't also have low pressure in the tires? Just wondering...My FJR has never wobbled. Smooth all the way to redline in 5th gear.

140 on Avon Storms. No issues except seeing things in the horizon merge into "lines" like it does in Star Wars when hyper drive is activated. B)

You guys with the bad wobbles...I'm having a hard time seeing cupped front tires causing that much shake at high speeds. It used to happen to me at LOWER speeds when the tire is obviously moving slow. I'm not saying it's not happening or can't happen, but are you sure you didn't also have low pressure in the tires? Just wondering...My FJR has never wobbled. Smooth all the way to redline in 5th gear.
Hi HotRodZilla,

Well, I took her out for a little test ride on Sunday morning with the new PR2 front on, and I rode at about 100mph for a couple of minutes or so, then went up to about 130mph for a few seconds, and there was ZERO wobble, instead it was completely stable. That means it really was all in the old cupped Avon Storm, no doubt left about that now!

Yahoo, the bike is running great, I'm one happy camper! One new thing I figured out about PCIII: If you try to run the bike with the two plugs off the tank (as in TBS with a raised tank), the PC looses it's throttle mapping. No idea why, but I am sure glad I figured that one out.

Last edited by a moderator:
Strangely enough, I'm a little bit with HRZ on this. When I've got a really nasty front tire I get some shakes around 40-45, which smooths out as I get faster. Can't say anything about 130, though, not many chances to work up there around here, and I didn't want to try with a tire that wobbled at 45, even if it did smooth out faster. Don't wanna hit another resonant frequency.

That means it really was all in the old cupped Avon Storm, no doubt left about that now!
If you had said it was a Storm right off the bat we could have figured it out. All but one of the Storm's I've mounted on various bikes have done this. The one I just mounted on my FJR less than 200 miles is starting to wobble (had it sitting in the garage so figured I'd try it) and those on my friends bikes have started wobbling as soon as 2000 miles. Since we mount our own tires, we have no warranty. That means .. no more Storms. PR2's all the way.

That means it really was all in the old cupped Avon Storm, no doubt left about that now!
If you had said it was a Storm right off the bat we could have figured it out. All but one of the Storm's I've mounted on various bikes have done this. The one I just mounted on my FJR less than 200 miles is starting to wobble (had it sitting in the garage so figured I'd try it) and those on my friends bikes have started wobbling as soon as 2000 miles. Since we mount our own tires, we have no warranty. That means .. no more Storms. PR2's all the way.
Well...I guess I hadn't asked for input so much as just giving my .02$ to the original topic post. I was aware that the Storm front tires get really bad real quick, esp. when run at lower PSI. I had heard that before from somebody that has done a few IBR main events on his BMW. Different bike, but very comparable in weight and tire wear. He runs every front tire 42-43PSI now, no matter what brand.

The Storms are also supposed to last a little longer if at least at 42PSI or higher, but certainly not at 39 or less, our bikes are just too heavy...

I had figured the front tire change would fix the wobble for good, but it was great to have this confirmed (and the confirmation process was a lot of fun by itself anyways :rolleyes: )

Last edited by a moderator:
I've spun the needle to an indicated 150-55 before shutting it down. This was when my brother still owned my bike, 5:30 am on a 38 degree morning, shield up, bags on, no top case.

Rock steady, and absolutely cold!!!!!!!!!!!!

-Sharif

I stop looking at the speed at about 140. With more on the clock.

Put your shield down, lay forward and focous as far up the road as you can.

Also check your fork damping settings,make sure they are set the same on both sides.

Too much traffic density, too many cops with no sense of adventure at these speeds. A quick blast to 110 and back down is all I will chance. Bummer since many years ago (mid 80's) I did 140 (indicated) on my GS1000E. Took a while to get up there. I'd like the thrill again before I quit riding at some point in the not so distant future. On a different note, anybody ever thought about when they would quit riding due to age and the skills you may have or not have at some age which will be different for each of us? I'm thinking that at 57, I'm hoping to continue riding safely into my early 70's at least.

Too much traffic density, too many cops with no sense of adventure at these speeds. A quick blast to 110 and back down is all I will chance. Bummer since many years ago (mid 80's) I did 140 (indicated) on my GS1000E. Took a while to get up there. I'd like the thrill again before I quit riding at some point in the not so distant future. On a different note, anybody ever thought about when they would quit riding due to age and the skills you may have or not have at some age which will be different for each of us? I'm thinking that at 57, I'm hoping to continue riding safely into my early 70's at least.
Yes, I've thought about that. I was thinking that "Post FJR" I would go to a goldwing...then at about 65, a goldwing trike until I can't crawl up on that anymore.