The one that got away......

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes, have seen both of those.  The Kali FJR is non-abs (I prefer ABS)
I would hold out for an ABS version. Since you're used to it and prefer it, anything less might be less fulfilling. You'll always have in the back of your mind "If it only had ABS"

I might be wrong but I think there will be many FJR's for sale in the near future, due to owners getting up in age and deciding to hang it up or down size to a lighter machine.

The New Orleans one doesn't have a picture from the left side of bike. Maybe he has more photo's available. Minneapolis one looks well taken care of, despite the higher mileage (still super low), longer distance to deal with. ABS though!

Just my 2 cents, good luck on your quest. Ride Safe!😎 

But another consideration is the high frequency of frozen ABS blocks on those Gen 1s, especially after all this time.  There's a good chance you'll end up with a non-ABS bike in the end even if it's an ABS version.  Unless of course it's important enough to the buyer to invest in repairing it.   :dntknw:

But another consideration is the high frequency of frozen ABS blocks on those Gen 1s, especially after all this time.  There's a good chance you'll end up with a non-ABS bike in the end even if it's an ABS version.  Unless of course it's important enough to the buyer to invest in repairing it.   :dntknw:
Very good point BigOgre. As you can see the lack of ABS on my Gen 1, but I have never had ABS on any vehicle so I don't know what I'm missing besides the added problems/complexity.

This is just me, but I'm almost positive if I had gotten used to riding with ABS and then have to go back to non-ABS I would miss it. However I won't miss the added possible problems.😀

Most of which can be greatly minimized by flushing brake/clutch fluid annually. Decisions...Decisions.😎

I saw this earlier.  Looks really dirty - how well taken care of?  And for a non-ABS he is priced more than I would want to pay.  Still, I plan on trying to contact the seller.  

I had been trying really hard on that other 04 non-abs that SouthernCruizer posted above, but seller is a flake.  Price and miles are great, but just can't get an accurate description as to the condition of the bike.  At least this San Diego one is close enough to go check out should I want to.
Umm.. now that I see the pics on a larger screen, it's filthy. Definitely sending the wrong message, even if it cleans up like new.

I put 226k miles on my first 04 FJR - a non-abs.  ABS would have saved me from myself on one crash when I locked up the rear and high-sided.  205k on my current ABS 04 FJR.  But..... I am not all that impressed with the Gen I ABS.  There have been several times I have considered disabling the ABS on it, but so far haven't.  A poorly adjusted (too soft) suspension will have ill effects.  Several years ago I rear-ended a car on the 405 freeway in Los Angeles with my current abs 04 FJR. If I had been riding a Gen II+ FJR, or a non-abs Gen I I think I would have been able to avoid rear ending that car.  The Gen I abs in a panic stop does not work all that well.  The lock-release-lock-release cycle is a slow one, and during the 'release' phase there isn't much braking going on.  The Gen II+ FJRs are a whole different animal.  Much more sophisticated system that works very well.

And yes, there is always the danger of getting a locked up ABS metering block.

As for the Minneapolis FJR, I spoke with the owner a week or so ago.  I can't remember exactly why, but there was something that removed it from consideration.

Umm.. now that I see the pics on a larger screen, it's filthy. Definitely sending the wrong message, even if it cleans up like new.

I contacted the owner and apparently he has cleaned it since those photos!  He bought it used in 2004 but has owned it since then.  I didn't notice, but he has cut both side fairings so he could stretch out his legs!  Yikes.  He has used replacements but couldn't tell me how good of condition they were in.  A while ago, he noticed rust in the gas tank.  Replaced the fuel pump and had the fuel tank treated, but double yikes!

I contacted the owner and apparently he has cleaned it since those photos!  He bought it used in 2004 but has owned it since then.  I didn't notice, but he has cut both side fairings so he could stretch out his legs!  Yikes.  He has used replacements but couldn't tell me how good of condition they were in.  A while ago, he noticed rust in the gas tank.  Replaced the fuel pump and had the fuel tank treated, but double yikes!
Nothing to see here... carry on.

Not ridden and dusty, I could forgive but why not wash it before advertising?

Cut the fairing so he could stretch his legs?  WTF?

Rusty gas tank!  That's a hard NO.

If he at least changed the oil a few times in the 15 years since he bought it, the engine probably couldn't be too bad.  (Although technically it would only have needed one change after break-in as far as mileage is concerned!!)

The other stuff (and the lack of ABS) scares me.  Unless it could be had for a lot less money and you had the time to fix it up.  I wonder if the tires are original?