The Outermost South Africa 100

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Udjeni

Reaction score
I recently went on a 6900 km ride with my darkside FJR. A trip report can be found over here [Edit: that link does not work any more, try here]. Sorry, no photos, I was otherwise occupied. ;)

Last edited:
Dang!

Thanks!

That's got to be the mother of all ride reports.

You need to go back and do it again slower just for pics tho.. :)

Speaking of Africa, and I know you are in a unique part...

I've got a nephew and great nephew in Uganda. I'm thinkin a goin over ta visit. He say's there are a few bikes there, mostly an Indian built bike called a Bajaja.

You ever gone that far north? If so, any advice?

note to self..

Bring duct tape and jumper cables if ever riding with a BMW... :grin:

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow. I read every word, even the ones I couldn't pronounce or understand. What is biltong?

A great adventure. Thanks for letting me "ride" along. Your riding buddy's BMW was a basket case, but kudos to both of you for sticking with it! :clapping:

I can't believe some of the roads you had to ride on -- really rough!

What rear tyre were you using?

And tell your wife I think she is a saint.

Again, congratulations!

Michael

You need to go back and do it again slower just for pics tho.. :)
I'll try to remember next time :) Actually, I lied when I said we took no photos. Below is one taken by Peter on my cell phone at one of the border posts, so you can see why it's not part of the trip report.

905523602_7Q8LK-M.jpg

Peter's bike was supposed to be in the next picture (again taken with the cell phone) at the detour where the bridge was washed away. Unfortunately he had already left by the time I had the phone out (after we jump-started him), so I only got the next bus on its way. As usual the incline to the left is completetely flattened in the photograph.

905518444_3HH3i-M.jpg

Uganda. ... You ever gone that far north? If so, any advice?
No, I have not been to Uganda (except sitting in the airplane on Entebbe airport). I was born and grew up in Malawi and from what I've seen, parts of Uganda looks very similar. The advice would be all depending on what you want to do. :) I'm guessing it is not something like this epic ride. :)

What is biltong?
Dried, raw meat. Similar to jerky, but much more tasty and way better. :)

What rear tyre were you using?
A Yokohama AVS dB. Below are two pictures, the first taken the day I put it on and the second a few days ago, after 10500 km.

791360857_7Khqs-S.jpg
905497428_b4CoD-S.jpg

Cell phone pics will work fine...

epic ride :)
Hah! Already read that one over there...

Great report!

Thanks again for a great report, or reports... :thumbsup:

And the darksiders (car tire dudes) will be so proud... :)

Last edited by a moderator: