The Penguin (Jill H.) post spinal surgery

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Barabus

Reaction score
The Silver Penguin, Jill, had her vertebra fused in a surgery a few weeks ago. Jean and I stopped by to see how she was getting along. We were surprised to see her up and about, albeit with neck brace on.

IMG_1011.jpg

Her and her husband, Andy, do MSF training and this is the reason they NEED NINE (9!!) motorcycle. Only seven are showing in this shot, but I think they could fit four or five more in the garage. Before anyone call dibbs on helping them ride all the bikes. I am first in line!

IMG_1012.jpg

Quick recovery Jill so that you can go out & enjoy those bikes.

Heidi

PS... you look pretty happy in those pics, too. Looks like you are doing well.

Gunny - here's to a speedy recovery so you can enjoy those wheels...two at a time. :)

Speedy recovery Jill. And some of those bikes would sure look good in my garage (if I could talk my wife in to it that is).

TOm

Thanks for the pix Barry. Is it OK if I snag a copy to send to my Mom?

And thanks to everyone else for the good wishes. The progress was slow and frustrating but I feel a lot better today. The bikes are looking more and more tempting. Next week, I can go out without the next brace, so that will allow me to drive a car. My little Z3 has been lonely for a while, since it sits too low to the ground for Andy's ravaged knee to enjoy. If I can't ride a bike for a while, at least the sporty car will be fun.

Then, as my strength improves, I shall be able to wear a helmet. Yeah!!!! :clapping:

Jill

Thanks for the pix Barry. Is it OK if I snag a copy to send to my Mom?
And thanks to everyone else for the good wishes. The progress was slow and frustrating but I feel a lot better today. The bikes are looking more and more tempting. Next week, I can go out without the next brace, so that will allow me to drive a car. My little Z3 has been lonely for a while, since it sits too low to the ground for Andy's ravaged knee to enjoy. If I can't ride a bike for a while, at least the sporty car will be fun.

Then, as my strength improves, I shall be able to wear a helmet. Yeah!!!! :clapping:

Jill
Heck yeah. Tell her that I say, "Cheers". Do you want to take them off the web or do you want orginals via email?

I know exactly how you feel! Most fusions are disectomys. I had a Corpectomy 12/04/2004. C3, 4, 5, 6 verts fused and 3 disks removed w/vert supporting bodys removed and replaced with doner bone graf. No fun! It gets better though! Heal up fast!

pc040147.jpg

PC200152a.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I know exactly how you feel! Most fusions are disectomys. I had a Corpectomy 12/04/2004. C3, 4, 5, 6 verts fused and 3 disks removed w/vert supporting bodys removed and replaced with doner bone graf. No fun! It gets better though! Heal up fast!
So you had a lot more done than I did. Mine only involved C5-6. May I ask the reason why you needed the surgery? Mine just came out of the blue, but hindsight points to a nasty rear-ender about eight years ago.

How soon after the surgery were you back on a bike? Do you remember how long it took until you were 100% recovered? (Can you guess that I'm getting impatient/)

Jill

Hey Jill,

I didn't know you and Andy were MSF instructors. My son may take an MSF class in the future, so I'll keep you in mind.

I wish I had room for nine bikes in my garage!

Hope to see you riding soon.

Ed

So you had a lot more done than I did. Mine only involved C5-6. May I ask the reason why you needed the surgery? Mine just came out of the blue, but hindsight points to a nasty rear-ender about eight years ago.

How soon after the surgery were you back on a bike? Do you remember how long it took until you were 100% recovered? (Can you guess that I'm getting impatient/)

Jill
Mine was brought on from a few factors throughout my life, but a racing crash did the majority of it. I used to race and back in 1992 at Daytona, I had a bad one in the Dogleg @ 130. Fortunately I didn't break anything except my wrist, but it put the wheels in motion! Herniated disks. Over the years arthritis set in and started to compress my spinal cord, hence the Corpectomy.

I'll never be 100% again, but I'm much better than I was before surgery. I was losing hand/arm strength, numbness, and leg coordination with terrible muscle spasms in my arms. I lost approx. 40% of rotational motion and 20-30 % up and down. You lose roughly 10% with every disk. Most people who have only 1 disk done, hardly notice any loss. Anyway, it was maybe 2 months before I rode a bike again and NOT at my Dr. recommendation either! lol Just had too, neck brace and all! It was only around the block. Wife had a fit! The R1 to boot! lol My first real ride was maybe 4 mo.!? That's when I bought the FJR. By June of '05 we were back to Deal's Gap for vac. with no problems. I've learned to deal with the loss of motion, just have to move more of my body (which got bigger during off time too, lol). Even done some trackdays at my friends school as an instructor. Was quite interesting learning to ride again by adjusting to having to move differently. I just have to be very careful now! For you though, I imagine that what you have at 3 mo. is what you'll get. I did therapy for a few of months which I think helped greatly. Just to get relief from the constant pain, day and night was worth the surgery. I'll continue to ride for as long as I can even knowing the increased risks now! It's still worth it! :D Good luck with your healing! You'll know what you can do and not.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey Jill,
I didn't know you and Andy were MSF instructors. My son may take an MSF class in the future, so I'll keep you in mind.

I wish I had room for nine bikes in my garage!

Hope to see you riding soon.

Ed
Correction here. Andy is an instructor, I am in training, hoping to qualify as an rider coach pretty soon. Good luck to your son. Our son took the class with me, several years ago.

Jill

Hi Jill, we met when I made a trip to the west coast for cruise fest. Hope you feel better real soon... Smitty

Hi Jill... it sure look swell to see you up and smiling!

Just take it easy and dont' do anything too stupid... like ride before you're REALLY healed!

We .... ummm... older folks take a wee bit longer to heal! <BG>

HUGS

Mary

Hi Jill... it sure look swell to see you up and smiling!
Just take it easy and dont' do anything too stupid... like ride before you're REALLY healed!

We .... ummm... older folks take a wee bit longer to heal! <BG>

HUGS

Mary
Thanks Mary. I get to drive a car this week, so that will keep me happy for a little while. But......... each time I go into the garage, the bikes are calling my name........ Perhaps I should start wearing a helmet around the house and building up the neck muscles. Or perhaps I should just work on holding my head up first!!!!

Jill

Latest posts