The Universe has done me a solid!

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MarFJR

URGNT
Reaction score
Picked up my new 2010 Last night. The dealer M.O.M.s Installed a lowering kit for my 5’-9’ Body and my 30” inseam making it a Perfect fit for me.

They threw in the 1 day only sale in their accessories shop.15% off everything in the shop. I had my wife with me so I would have to wait 1 more hours before I could get on this beautiful machine.

We went up to the second floor and the sales guy was very helpful and knew his stuff so we got her a nice composite helmet (3/4 she was having nothing to do with the full face) He didn’t have anything I liked in stock for my fat head so I didn’t get one yet, But I am leaning towards one that that the chin and visor can be moved up and off the face when in traffic or at stops.

Picked up a Joe Rocket armored jacket for the both of us and went a little insane buying a 300 dollar communication system so we can take when out on the road and she will not need to keep poking me when she has something to say.

Now off we go her in her car me on the nicest biggest bike I have ever been on. Meet at home, she jumps on and off we go. Stop for dinner (some place with outside seating close to where I can look at my bike at all times)

Now this morning I have had my 1st coffee with it.

The reason I feel the universe smiling down on me..

Only ½ a day today at work. A 3 Day weekend coming up that is full of traveling around here and there. And Monday I have a buddy coming up from MA. To ride ALL day with!

Funny note.

Have a 23 year old still living at home. Wife turns to me while we are getting in bed. Asks, “Did you make sure you put the bike where Adam can’t hit it when he gets home in the middle of the night?” Answer “Yup” Funny because he is such a bull in the china shop kind of kid it comes like second nature.

Good for you. Bring your raingear this weekend. I think you are going to need it. Also, head for the hills, not the beach.

Dan

We went up to the second floor and the sales guy was very helpful and knew his stuff so we got her a nice composite helmet (3/4 she was having nothing to do with the full face) He didn’t have anything I liked in stock for my fat head so I didn’t get one yet, But I am leaning towards one that that the chin and visor can be moved up and off the face when in traffic or at stops.
If you are unlucky and have a crash with your wife on the back and she does a face plant into the pavement ask her how she feels about a 3/4 vs. full-faced helmet then. After six months of having her jaw wired shut she may feel differently. Just saying!!

Congrats on the new bike and to your wife for even gettin on the back--at least you're both wearing helmets...

Picked up my new 2010 Last night. The dealer M.O.M.s Installed a lowering kit for my 5’-9’ Body and my 30” inseam making it a Perfect fit for me.

... Now off we go her in her car me on the nicest biggest bike I have ever been on. Meet at home, she jumps on and off we go. Stop for dinner (some place with outside seating close to where I can look at my bike at all times)

Now this morning I have had my 1st coffee with it. ...
I wonder how long it takes to get over needing to look at or touch it all the time. I thought it would be getting easier by now. I spend so much time touching/looking at my bike that the girlfriend made me give it a name. She says if I am going to have a mistress she had better have a name. I think she is only half playing.

Last edited by a moderator:
We went up to the second floor and the sales guy was very helpful and knew his stuff so we got her a nice composite helmet (3/4 she was having nothing to do with the full face) He didn't have anything I liked in stock for my fat head so I didn't get one yet, But I am leaning towards one that that the chin and visor can be moved up and off the face when in traffic or at stops.
If you are unlucky and have a crash with your wife on the back and she does a face plant into the pavement ask her how she feels about a 3/4 vs. full-faced helmet then. After six months of having her jaw wired shut she may feel differently. Just saying!!

Congrats on the new bike and to your wife for even gettin on the back--at least you're both wearing helmets...
+1 - Don't mean to dampen your joy (as if! ;) ), but get the missus talked into a real helmet, real quick.

You are far more likely to have a little mishap now than after you get more used to riding the bike. This is one area that SWMBO should not be in charge. It ain't about stylin' When you tell her why, she will just love you all the more for being so concerned for her well being. :thumbsup:

If she just can't bear pulling a helmet down over her head and hair, or if she doesn't like the feeling of being so restricted by a full-face, she might be more favorably inclined to a modular. My Shoei Multitec, for example, is much more comfortable than a full-face, IMO, and I think offers virtually all the benefits. Might be noisier, but nobody has convinced me it's less safe. Snell won't certify modulars (big deal, also IMO), so that's the only reason they're not Snell approved.

I hope this doesn't turn into a full face vs. modular debate, or hear lots of anti-modular rants. But if she just won't wear a full-face PERIOD, a good modular might be just the thing.

And congrats on the new bike. ;)

+1 to what Sacto Mike said. It may nort be quite as safe as a full face, but modulars provide muy mas protection to the face compared to beanies or 3/4's.

I know that it can be done in this day and age, but I just don't want to think about living without a face. :glare:

I win,

Had to use the If you where that I will wear nothing card, but the 3/4 is going back tomorrow! :assassin:
Nice work.

And when you guys come to NERDS or EOM you'll fit right in. Peer pressure is a bitch, huh? ;)

I have a helmet where the front face lifts up and love it got it from helmet city in Florida. Oh ditch the communication gear and if the wife keeps poking you down shift then throttle hard and don't look back...enjoy the ride

When my son (17) test rode mine for 20 min, then went out and got his licence and bought his own 04 fjr. He had lots of dirt bike experience and is now 19. Big kid. No problems here. Enjoy!

Good on getting the full face, but for another reason. The comm system doesn't work well with a 3/4 helmet. The mike is always breaking squelch with the 3/4 or with a flip front in the up position. If I'm riding alone, I just unplug the mike.

Congrats on your new bike; you will love it. I'm glad you got the Mrs to change her mind on the helmet because my full face helmet saved my grill a couple of times in my early riding days. You should think about riding up to Lake George, NY for the Americade Rally June 6th through the 11th; 40,000+ motorcyclists, more vendors than you can count and some of North Americas most beautiful roads to explore. Nevertheless, ride within your own limitations and always think safety first. Good luck and keep the rubber side down.