They really are possessed...

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PapaUtah

Reaction score
This was in the local paper today. I learned alot from the story. First was that I have been stopping the wrong way all these years. Apparently Harley-Davidson® riders have it right. To stop quickly you "lay your bike down". And to think all these years I have been using the brakes. What an idiot I have been!!! Secondly, if you piss off a Harley-Davidson® it has the power to throw you into harms way. Third, loud pipes apparently aren't loud enough to frighten a train but apparently can drown out the sound of the warning bells.

A motorcyclist trying to stop for an approaching train was killed Thursday afternoon at a Jordan railroad crossing, police said.

Walter L. Cobb, 36, of Jordan, was on his Harley-Davidson® traveling south on Cty Rd 9 when he collided with the front of a Union Pacific train near Hwy. 169, said Jordan Police Chief Robert Malz.

"He tried to lay his Harley-Davidson® down, which I think they commonly do to stop quickly, and it threw him in front of the train," Malz said.

The accident occurred about 3:35 p.m., according to a State Patrol incident report. The train remained stopped at the crossing for 3 1/2 hours, blocking traffic while the State Patrol investigated the accident.

The train tracks are marked by flashing lights and bells but no crossing gates, Malz said.

The friction applied by the asphalt saves on brake pad wear! Then of course, you have more money for chrome which is essential.

It is always sad to hear of someone dying while riding, regardless of the circumstances.

This was in the local paper today. I learned alot from the story. First was that I have been stopping the wrong way all these years. Apparently Harley-Davidson® riders have it right. To stop quickly you "lay your bike down". And to think all these years I have been using the brakes. What an idiot I have been!!! Secondly, if you piss off a Harley-Davidson® it has the power to throw you into harms way. Third, loud pipes apparently aren't loud enough to frighten a train but apparently can drown out the sound of the warning bells.

A motorcyclist trying to stop for an approaching train was killed Thursday afternoon at a Jordan railroad crossing, police said.

Walter L. Cobb, 36, of Jordan, was on his Harley-Davidson® traveling south on Cty Rd 9 when he collided with the front of a Union Pacific train near Hwy. 169, said Jordan Police Chief Robert Malz.

"He tried to lay his Harley-Davidson® down, which I think they commonly do to stop quickly, and it threw him in front of the train," Malz said.

The accident occurred about 3:35 p.m., according to a State Patrol incident report. The train remained stopped at the crossing for 3 1/2 hours, blocking traffic while the State Patrol investigated the accident.

The train tracks are marked by flashing lights and bells but no crossing gates, Malz said.
You are not an idiot for using your brakes, you are an idiot for saying stupid shit like that.

Some people have FJR's for their first bike and they have accidents and die too.

It is not the bike, but the rider that usually fails to prevent the accident.

You are not an idiot for using your brakes, you are an idiot for saying stupid shit like that.Some people have FJR's for their first bike and they have accidents and die too.

Yes it is still sad, but you cannot deny that there is a mentality that "laying it down," avoids a crash.

Who knows, maybe if he was on a bike with better braking capability he could have avoided it, maybe not...

RIP to the rider. Always sad when we lose one. 1 for the loss of life and 2 cause it gives those advocates that say how dangerous motorcycles are AMMO.

We don't know all the circumstances here. Just one more case where THROTTLE ON, may have saved his life.

Anyways... could of happened to anyone of us on any given day.

Bad decisions. Terrible consequences. Very sad for his loved ones.

Point well made about "laying the bike down". The issue is more a lack of awareness than the mode of trying to avoid. THAT is something we can all apply to our riding. PAY ATTENTION! Driving while distracted can be fatal.

Yes, it is always tragic to lose someone in this manner. I saw a little more on this story on the local television news this morning. The skid mark leading up to said "lay down" manuever was in excess of 100 feet long. I think he may have been "on throttle" thinking he could beat the train before the realization that he was on a Harley-Davidson® precluded the successful completion of that action. He then stood on the brakes hoping to bring that Harley-Davidson® to a stop. The second the wheels locked the the braking force went away and his fate was sealed.

I do not think for one moment that a Harley-Davidson® has the ability to grab its owner by the collar of his black leather jacket and "throw him in front of the train" but one reading the comment literally would think that was the case.

In any case the Cobb family has my sympathies and hopefully we can all learn another valuable lesson from his misfortune.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yup, heard about that coming into work, and thought the same thing-another avid fan of "The Great Escape". Unfortunately, he wasn't Stevo, and the director didn't say "CUT".

The skid mark leading up to said "lay down" manuever was in excess of 100 feet long.
Sounds like he might have been afraid to grab enough front brake to get the bike hauled down. It's a shame that riders don't get the right training and practice for the unexpected, and was tragic in this case.

Afraid it's only going to get worse as gas prices encourage more to ride as a solution. Yesterday morning, a couple more of my co-workers commented that they might buy bikes soon, and I saw another at a local dealership in the afternoon.

RIP to this rider and prayers for peace to his loved ones.

Love my ABS brakes....

"Sounds like he might have been afraid to grab enough front brake to get the bike hauled down. It's a shame that riders don't get the right training and practice for the unexpected, and was tragic in this case."

I talked with two guys that were adamant about using the the rear brake when I was trying to explain why the front brake is 70% of your stopping power. :(

I thought about posting about that yesterday when I saw the story. Defintely sad to lose a rider, but the brakes would have probably worked out better for him than the "common" practice of laying it down.

I had a saftey instructor that said, if you've got time to lay it down, you've got time to brake. This guy was obviously not riding in a safe manor, and panicked.

Guys. It was the police chief that was doing all the "laying it down", and "thrown in front of the train" talk. Perhaps it is just the chief that is not knowledgeable about riding motorcycles?

If there was a long skid mark, it is really likely he was stomping on the rear brake and not using much (if any) front. In which case this would not have anything to do with the make of motorcycle, just another case of an untrained rider being hurt.

Sad, but entirely too common...

Who knows, maybe if he was on a bike with better braking capability he could have avoided it, maybe not...
Actually, the braking systems on late model Harley's are pretty damn good. I was always impressed with their stopping power and level of control.

You are not an idiot for using your brakes, you are an idiot for saying stupid shit like that.Some people have FJR's for their first bike and they have accidents and die too.

Yes it is still sad, but you cannot deny that there is a mentality that "laying it down," avoids a crash.

+1 Not that I am judging here, maybe I am. I have been a member for only a few months and read a few replies about Harley riders not shown in a positive light in this forum. It does not matter to me what you ride, we are all brothers in my opinion. Lets stop the Harley bashing, I have been riding them for years and have seen stupid shit all kinds of bikes.

Just my 2 cents worth. So now you can bash me since I ride one too....

There's also something to be said for having adequate gates at RR crossings. The Euro ones seem to work the best. Maybe blocking the riders path before the train arrived might have helped?

+1,

Brakes are for scrubbing off as much speed as possible.. Though.. evasive maneuvers can be more effective..

Sad story.. Probably unfair to judge the fallen rider... But learning from his mistake.. IS A REQUIREMENT!!

WW

We don't know all the circumstances here. Just one more case where THROTTLE ON, may have saved his life.
Always sad to hear that a fellow rider has suffered any kind of mishap, and even more so when it may have been avoided. Of course, it's easy to be wise after the event, without knowledge of all the facts but throttle instead of laying it down? or even better, more situational awareness. Hhhmm!!!! I see a RR crossing up ahead. They often have trains coming. Better take a good look. What might those flashing lights mean?

Among many of my cruiser (not brand specific) friends on another forum, there is a common misconception that the front brake is dangerous and should be avoided. Use at your peril, because it will throw you over the handlebars. Thus they are willing to give up 70-80% of their braking capacity, without even realizing it.

Someone please get another donut for the Chief, and cram it in his mouth to shut him up. There's a lot to be said for silence when you don't know what you're talking about.

<snip>.... there is a common misconception that the front brake is dangerous and should be avoided. Use at your peril, because it will throw you over the handlebars. Thus they are willing to give up 70-80% of their braking capacity, without even realizing it.
I hate to say it ('cause I, personally, don't want it) -- but it's another case to be made for 'integrated brakes' (front, at least one/part, linked to rear). Stomping on the rear brake (panic) will, most likely, just stop the bike.

When/if the operator doesn't have the skills (or, is unable/unwilling to use them) the design of the system will be able to 'save-the-day'.

Legislate v/s Educate..... :(

Last edited by a moderator: