They really are possessed...

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
<snip>.... there is a common misconception that the front brake is dangerous and should be avoided. Use at your peril, because it will throw you over the handlebars. Thus they are willing to give up 70-80% of their braking capacity, without even realizing it.
I hate to say it ('cause I, personally, don't want it) -- but it's another case to be made for 'integrated brakes' (front, at least one/part, linked to rear). Stomping on the rear brake (panic) will, most likely, just stop the bike.

When/if the operator doesn't have the skills (or, is unable/unwilling to use them) the design of the system will be able to 'save-the-day'.

Legislate v/s Educate..... :(
My VFR has integrated brakes, and in at least that configuration it would not prevent a non-edumacated rider from locking the rear brake if they were so inclined. Perhaps linked braking coupled with ABS would be the answer you indicate, but just linked brakes, at least as they exist today, are probably not.

OTOH, I'm sure some wicked smaht engineers could figger out what the exact correct balance of F/R brake application would be, then design a system that applied that balance, under dynamic conditions, regardless of which lever/pedal one acres to stomp on. Now that would be an advancement.

I mean, 10 years ago, who would'a thunk that racers would need traction control?

Last edited by a moderator:
There's also something to be said for having adequate gates at RR crossings. The Euro ones seem to work the best. Maybe blocking the riders path before the train arrived might have helped?
I suppose that there's something to be said for bigger/better gates at railroad crossings. IMO, that "something" would be that I have found crossing gates totally adequate in my 40 years of riding/driving. I've always been able to see the lights and/or figure out that the arm coming down across my path meant that I was supposed to STOP. If the gates are beefed up, WHO'S going to PAY for them? The Bozos who can't "understand" the existing traffic controls??? I don't THINK so!

Anyways... could of happened to anyone of us on any given day.

I don't know , maybe its the flashing lights, ringing bells, and really loud horns - but I've always found trains to be some of the easier road obstacles to avoid.. thats just me I guess.

Last edited by a moderator:
<snip>.... there is a common misconception that the front brake is dangerous and should be avoided. Use at your peril, because it will throw you over the handlebars. Thus they are willing to give up 70-80% of their braking capacity, without even realizing it.
I hate to say it ('cause I, personally, don't want it) -- but it's another case to be made for 'integrated brakes' (front, at least one/part, linked to rear). Stomping on the rear brake (panic) will, most likely, just stop the bike.

When/if the operator doesn't have the skills (or, is unable/unwilling to use them) the design of the system will be able to 'save-the-day'.

Legislate v/s Educate..... :(
I don't know the number of times people have told me about not using the front brake to stop , or using the front brake is dangerous. And as a MSF instructor I DO Believe in education.... But if you want it REALLY F#*@ -up let the goverment get involved with it...

I'll bash Harley riders at the drop of a hat,,, but hate to see or hear anyone get hurt or killed.. So, I'm really sorry for the family of the HD rider..

My CBR1000F had LBS ( linked brakes) best brakes I've ever had.... Only have 600 miles on my FJR , haven't had time to do any practice panic stops yet to try the ABS..

OTOH, I'm sure some wicked smaht engineers could figger out what the exact correct balance of F/R brake application would be, then design a system that applied that balance, under dynamic conditions, regardless of which lever/pedal one acres to stomp on. Now that would be an advancement.
BMW aready did that (a few years ago) with their, no-longer-available, 'power assisted brakes' that were on the motorcycles they offered previous to their current brake systems. I rode one and was impressed with the force of the braking with just light pressure on the lever/pedal. Huge stopping power, linked, and max braking readily available to both wheels. Any skidding (which seemed un-avoidable, to me) was held at-bay by the ABS computer.

This is the system for those who can't/don't want to learn effective braking -- technology solves the problem.

Now all that's needed is to mandate its use ..... :blink: :unsure:

This is the system for those who can't/don't want to learn effective braking -- technology solves the problem.Now all that's needed is to mandate its use ..... :blink: :unsure:
Does this compare to air bags and seat belts? Both are a good idea. Seat belts are mandated most everywhere, but the airbag will still protect those who choose not to wear a belt. Air bags are not the law but they seem to save so many lives that the majority of new vehicles have them.

Are we going to see more ABS/linked brakes as standard features, in the future?

Jill

People, here (on this forum), have often said that they'd never buy a bike without it.... :eek: :unsure:
If and when I buy another bike (gotta put some miles on the collection that we already have), I will definitely be looking for ABS. I believe that my technique is good, but in a panic situation it could probably be better. I'll take all the help I can get!

Jill

Does this compare to air bags and seat belts? Both are a good idea. Seat belts are mandated most everywhere, but the airbag will still protect those who choose not to wear a belt. Air bags are not the law but they seem to save so many lives that the majority of new vehicles have them.
Are we going to see more ABS/linked brakes as standard features, in the future?

Jill
Minor point of correction, but passive restraints (air bags or automatic belts - remember those?) are the law. They wouldn't be there if they weren't, except maybe on the most expensive cars. Personally, I hate them. They're a very expensive solution for a problem I didn't have (religiously buckled up whenever driving), and I haven't seen the airbag system that would protect a person from a second impact, like hitting a car, then a barrier.

Now then, would the BMW brake system be a good thing for anybody's bike? Maybe so. I might not have fallen a couple of weeks ago with ABS or a really well-balanced linked system. But if it makes a 7,000 dollar bike cost 11,000, I'd have to maybe drop back and think about it a bit more. Again, maybe an expensive solution to a problem not everybody has.

Minor point of correction, but passive restraints (air bags or automatic belts - remember those?) are the law.
Thank you. I stand corrected. It's a very long time since I bought a new car.

Jill

Wow...it must've been a very long time since you bought a car! <BG>

But then, I must be a disgrace to the Harley "community"...I'd practice riding around Hawaii (O'ahu) using ONLY my front brake.

My Deuce stops decently, but only has one front disk. I have had to grab a handful (and footfull) of brake a few times, tho.

The Triumph Speedmaster has two front disks... no ABS. but it stops WAY better than the Harley. It's also about 150 lbs lighter.

But, I sold it, so it's back to the watch the hell what you're doing and leave space mode....

I still want a baby FJR.... maybe a BMW F800ST.... if they're still making them by the time I can afford one! <G>

Ride safe!

Mary

I still want a baby FJR.... maybe a BMW F800ST.... if they're still making them by the time I can afford one! <G>
Hey Mary - long time no see (so to speak). How's things with you? I'm commuting with the masses, five days a week now instead of three days in off-peak traffic. The Ninja 650R is just perfect for me to do that. The seat height is about the same as the FJR but it weighs less than 300lbs. I wouldn't want to do a 300 mile day on the Ninja but it is very good at what it does. The only drawbacks are having to fill up with gas every few days, and not having so much weather protection on inclement days. But then it never rains in Southern California, does it?

Jill