Things to See Corvalis OR to Missoula Idaho

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oldryder

Reaction score
Finally getting the wife to take a cross country after many years.

Will be starting from Corvalis OR 1st of August and headed back to MN. will go mostly 2 lane.

Debating going thru Glacier NP via Missoula or alternately going thru Yellowstone and Bear Tooth Pass on the way back

Tentatively will ride the coast highway up to Portland (assuming it isn't raining) , go south around Mt. Hood, and then east from there.

I've done both routes previously with daughters as passengers and like them both.

Looking for some other cool stuff we might include in trip that would make one route more interesting than the other.

Assuming about 300 - 350 miles per day.

Thx in advance for suggestions and comments.

Mark in MN

Don't know your route after Mt. Hood but I would continue on to John Day and then to Baker city. From there head for Joseph and Enterprise and on up to Lewiston and over Lolo Pass to Misoula. Good back roads all the way.

Many many options but if suggestions are what you seek, consider adding some additional fun to your ride and join us snagging dams along the way. Here is a map of the 2011 Dams, some are very close to your possible route. Dam Map Locations.

As suggested, Lolo Pass (US-12)is a very nice ride. If you don't already know, this route is a major source of revenue for the State of Idaho. :dribble: The section from Kooskia to the Montana state line is patrolled by a local trooper, who I am told lives in this remote area. 50 MPH is a number you'll want to remember, especially approaching MT. But it is a very nice ride indeed. Once in MT you're back to 70 mph.

Enjoy your trip.

Keep Going!

If you decide to do Glacier Park(excellent) I would recommend riding from Portland up to the Grand Coulee Dam for the night to take in the Laser light show on the face of the dam.

The next morning work your way north on Washington 155 right on BIA rd13 to Cache Creek then a left (north) on 21, right on Co Hwy 2 to cross Lake Roosevelt via the Ferry to Gifford then the Addy - Gifford RD. Hwy 395 south to Chewelah then turn left on CoHwy2902 past the ski resort over to Usk on hwy 20to Sandpoint and on over to Glacier via a route of your choice. Google maps has it all.

This is not as hard as it may seem but north of Grand Coulee it turns to beautiful forests, great roads and very little traffic. I have ridden this both ways and love it!

Here we are waiting for the ferry and a great pic of the view while crossing Lake Roosevelt

IMG_0099.jpg

IMG_0105.jpg

Don't know your route after Mt. Hood but I would continue on to John Day and then to Baker city. From there head for Joseph and Enterprise and on up to Lewiston and over Lolo Pass to Misoula. Good back roads all the way.
Exactly the same route I was thinking of in my head Ray. The Fossil museum is in the John Day area IIRC. Lolo pass is fun. I've done both Bear Tooth Pass/Yellowstone/Tetons as well as Glacier. I'd say a tough choice, But Glacier was more impressive, especially if you can budget in a helicopter ride over the Park. Fun ride you have planned.

All great ideas, as there are more two lanes to explore than time! Staying north will keep you a bit cooler, but during that time of year you'll still have some high temps to contend with. If you've never been to Glacier, it's definitely worth the trip. Here's a couple pics from '05 when FJRChooser and I did a little X-Country trip.

On the St Mary side of Logan Pass...IIRC it was in the 40's and raining that morning!

GlacierNPEast.jpg

Taken from the Visitor Center at the summit.

GlacierVisitorCtr.jpg

Have fun!

--G

Last time I checked... Missoula is in Montana. Not Idaho. :p

But... Dworshak Dam is saweeet.

Dworshak.jpg

Its a big ass concrete gravity dam. Meaning only its weight holds it in place.

The dam is located outside Orofino, ID. On the way over Lolo pass.

Ok, so that is my recommendation.

Cheers

Scott

Funny, I live in MN, but used to live in Oregon, and have a couple friends (and spent some time) in Corvallis. What a fun place ... mmm... American Dreams Pizza ...

Anyway, the route to take depends on what you're looking for. Scenery or curves? If you have a passenger, I would guess Scenery, and will base my suggestions on that. And no reason to choose between Beartooth Pass and Glacier. Do both!

I blog about my trips - here is the start of a trip from MN to OR and CA. From this page, work your way to the present. I have some photos and trip descriptions of the areas you're riding through .. think I've bene through it a couple times in the past couple years:

https://norskiesblog.blogspot.com/2009/08/belvidere-south-dakota.html

If you haven't already done so, take 20 east to 126 to 242 to Sisters. This will take you through the lava fields and the Belknap crater, then lunch in Sisters.

Then go east again to 97 to then 26 west to Mt Hood and spend the night at the historic Timberline Lodge (if you don't mind 20 miles of gravel, there is a "shortcut" from Sister's to Lake Billy Chinook and The Cove Palisades).

If you (and your wife) haven't ridden through the Gorge, I would put that at the top of the list, and from Timberline Lodge to west (towards Portland). In Sandy find Ten Eyck Road and other shortcuts through Bull River Run to the Columbia River Highway. If the weather is nice then a trip up to the Larch Mtn viewpoint is totally worth it - you won't get a better view of Mt Hood (except maybe from a plane).

Back into the gorge, and hit the interstate east. This is the deepest and most scenic part of the gorge - if you only see it from Hood River and east, you missed the best part. If you have time and want a slower pace with stops at lots of waters, take HWY 30. BTW the Iron Horse brewpub in Hood River is fantastic! Too bad beer has alcohol, and this brewpub tends to have 7-8% brews. Great if you've stopped for the night .. if not .. sorry to tempt you. Yeah ok Full Sail is in HR too.

At the Dalles, get gas and cross over to Washington and take SR14 east. Stop at Stonehenge. Not much gas from here until Umatilla, so that's why you had to get it in the Dalles. Go back to Oregon in Umatilla.

Now you've got a choice. 730 to hwy 12 over Lolo to Missoula, or the much longer route south on 37 to 204 to 82 to Enterprise and through Hells Canyon (don't forget to take the little road up to the damn from Oxbow). Then 71/95/13 to Kooskia, ID where you pick up 12 and go over Lolo.

Lolo Pass is a beautiful road, but due to the traffic and enforcement it's not a pegscraper. It is engineered well enough to do so, but you'll have to exceed 100 mph to do it, and it just ain't worth it (to me). Mellow down and enjoy it - and yes, there are easy places to pass. Once over the pass into Montana the speed limit picks up and the road down to Lolo, MT is an absolute blast. Speed limit is 70 mph, so you can get some fun without overstepping the law too egregiously.

Alrighty, you're in Lolo, now what? You're still far from Yellowstone and Glacier. I've done both many times and feel Glacier is the winner. Yellowstone is for RV's and going slow and taking your time and see all the little details and paint pots and stuff - other than the canyon and the eastern entrances, there's not much scenery, so my nod goes to Glacier (but that doesn't mean you can't throw in Beartooth pass!)

From Missoula to Glacier go around Flathead Lake (I prefer the western side - less development, more lake views). If you want a sidetrip, the Koocanusa dam and reservoir to the northwest is a joy to ride along, but is out of the way.

Anyway, there are three ways to enjoy Glacier: Once through (4-6 hours), twice (a full day) or hiking (2+ days). No matter how to get through Going To The Sun Highway, do it with the sun at your back so the mountains stand out in awesome detail. From the western entrance to the start of the switchbacks is sort of boring, but then you rise in elevation and it's bliss from there. If you can only make one pass, try to go from west to east in the afternoon (i.e. sun at your back).

If you can, ride Hwy 2 along the southern edge the afternoon before and position yourself near St Mary so you can start from there in the morning (breakfast at the Park Cafe is NOT to be missed!). Then spend the morning going west, turn around before you get down to lower elevations again, and then go east in the afternoon. There is a shuttle system in the park which is nice if you're camping and hiking so you don't have to get back on the bike for a day or two, but you'll get better views of the mountains without a roof over your head (just be aware that traffic can really slow things down).

If you have time to hike you'll see the best of Glacier ... but that's a different post.

Alrighty, after Glacier, leave the eastern edge and avoid taking the High Line to MN. There's nothing there to see.

Instead, go south through Great Falls, Hwy 89 to Wilsall then 86 past Bridger Bowl to Bozeman. Stop at the Pickle Barrel, the Campus Location. This is a Montana Tradition, don't miss it, and buy an extra sandwich to share later down the road. And there's Wilcoxson's ice cream in home-made waffle cones next door. BTW if you go through Helena and end up in Three Forks, check out the Lewis and Clark caverns.

From Bozeman go east on I-90 (not many alternatives, but this isn't a bad section) to Columbus, then Hwy 78 to Red Lodge. That's the gateway to Beartooth Highway, which connects up with Cheif Joseph Hwy to Cody. Prepare for cool temps, hail, snow, tourists, and frequent stops to absorb the views. In my opinion, this has got to be the most scenic road in the US.

From Cody you'll have to cross the Bighorns. If the weather is bad, take the south route, 16, as it is a lower, straighter road. Don't forget to check your mirrors to see the Grand Tetons on a clear day.

I prefer the northern route of 14 because stays in higher elevations longer, but the southern 14 is nice too as it winds up through a tight canyon. Beware these mountains - we've been snowed on in June, July and August, experienced thunderstorms, and at dusk the antelopes come out.

After the Bighorns consider taking 14 through Clearmont to get across Wyoming, instead of I90. It is much more scenic and interesting.

Devil's Tower is a good stop too, and then Spearfish Canyon in the Black Hills. If you can find Nemo Road, that's a good option.

From Rapid City I've always enjoyed 44 to 240 through the Badlands. Resists Wall - it's a tourist trap.

After Cactus Flats depression will start to set in. Stop in Murdo at the car museum for a break (they have some bikes too).

In Chamberlain you'll be amazed at the topography as you cross the Missouri and stop in at the rest area to learn about Lewis and Clark. While you're standing up on that overlook over the Missouri, you'll realize that what you what was amazing topography here is really nothing, you were only impressed compared to sitting on I-90 for hours and hours looking at a straight line, sweating, fighting the wind, etc. You realize that the Bighorns was the last place you were truly happy. As you think about the rest of the road going east, you think to yourself ... "Self, can I just stop here, and go west again?" but no, obligations force you eastwards to the vertically challenged upper midwest. It's all you can do to get back on the bike. As you cross into MN and pass Luverne, Worthington, etc the hours of riding on expansion joints jolt you back to the land of frost heaves. While you plan your next trip west, you can console yourself with frequent trips to the beer store, alphabet roads, spend the winters farkling and reading this forum.

Exactly the same route I was thinking of in my head Ray. The Fossil museum is in the John Day area IIRC. Lolo pass is fun. I've done both Bear Tooth Pass/Yellowstone/Tetons as well as Glacier. I'd say a tough choice, But Glacier was more impressive, especially if you can budget in a helicopter ride over the Park. Fun ride you have planned.
Or from Baker City go east thru hell's canyon and up Idaho 95 north thru Grangeville and then 13 to Kooskia(nice twisty scenic bit and you miss Lewiston area.

I'd pick up a copy of Motorcycle Journeys through the Pacific Northwest. I found lots of good rides in the book. The author teaches English at PSU. So... 1) He is a local. 2) He's a good communicator. 3) He has enough free time to really research the book. I use them as x-mas gifts for friends and family.

I second Enterprise/Rattlesnake Grade to Lewiston/Clarkston.

It was a blast on my FJR but watch for rocks in the road.

Good pie/ice cream at the diner at the bottom of the grade.

Make early reservations if you are planning on staying in Lewiston/Clarkston.

The western end of Hwy 30 in the Gorge is very nice. It is built to the same spec as the Eastern end, but not many people even know it is there. Exit I-84 at Mosier and keep going East to The Dalles.

The Condon area has some great roads depending upon your goals.