This is driving me nuts.....

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

poprocks

Reaction score
OK, I've been searching for a clean install of my 2610 and have yet to find what I'm looking for. On my VFR this mount couldn't have been cleaner, I was able to to bolt the ram ball to the tank bolts and Powerlet made the slickest kit that installed the outlet to the steering stem nut. Very clean.

My AE has the grip warmers so the available powerlet kits are out since it is for the left panel, I can't find a decent place to put an outlet that give me room, so now I'll have to go back to hardwiring the Garmin power cable, that's kind of too bad because I loved how nice the Powerlet 2610 cable worked.

Anyhow, I can wire up the Garmin cable and keep it out of the way easy enough, but I need a place to put the mount. I don't have the "unused" mirror hole on the AE so the control mount is out, I don't see how a ram ball would mount on the stem nut, doesn't look like there will be clearance. I do like the Tech Mount, but how do I attach the 2610 to it? I read velcro, really....I'd prefer something better than that. I'm not apposed to the TourTec mount but how do you secure that to the Tech mount??? UGH...I'm not getting something here, there must be a way, this is a world class sort touring bike. What am I missing.

Please point me in the right direction, how do you have yours mounted? I'm open to all ideas.

Thanks for the time!!!

Todd

You'll find a lot of opinions on this, and most people seem to like to use the steering stem nut, by either replacing the nut with one that has a RAM ball fitting or buying the expensive mount made specifically for the Garmin that includes a new nut.

Personally, I use a dash shelf that has a tech mount on it.

To attach the 2610 to the tech mount you need the plastic motorcycle mount that is sold by Garmin for the 2610. It also fits the 27xx and 28xx series.

My 2730 is mounted using a techmount stem stand and the garmin motorcycle mount that GEEZER has linked you to. Works out great.

My 2730 talks to my Starcom and sits on an N/Line shelf from Farklemaster

ShelfrearviewLarge.jpg

My AE has the grip warmers so the available powerlet kits are out since it is for the left panel, I can't find a decent place to put an outlet that give me room, so now I'll have to go back to hardwiring the Garmin power cable, that's kind of too bad because I loved how nice the Powerlet 2610 cable worked.
There is actually room on that same panel for a Powerlet socket. I installed one on my AE on the thinner portion next to the glove box. It's a tight fit getting the socket screwed down, but it looks as close to factory as matters to me. I had to cut down one edge of the washer that goes on the Powerlet socket backside and screw the socket into the nut instead of the nut onto the socket - the edge of the nut jams against the vertical side of the panel. I'll try and get some pictures.

I bought a replacement stem nut with a RAM ball on it from a vendor who cannot be named on the forum, but it's a good product. I might have gone with a longer RAM arm, though, just to get a little more clearance over my tank bag.

You can also mount a powerlet on the battery side panel. There's just enough room below the panel between the two fuse blocks, aft of the battery.

Thank you guys very much. The missing piece for me was the Garmin mount...I have the RAM cradle and for the life of me couldn't figure out how that would mount to the TechMount platform...I'm simple sometimes.

As a huge Harry Potter fan, this whole "he must not be named" thing absolutley cracks me up, for a new guy I had to look into that a little...LOL.

I do however like that replacement nut w/ball. I think I will try that before going all out with the other set up.

BTW, my stem nut was finger tight upon delivery...

Thanks again, you guys were very helpful. I owe ya's one :drinks:

Got the Garmin 2730 cradle off of Ebay along with the power cord. It's mounted to clutch reservoir via Ram mount. Ram parts were purchased from cyclegadgets.com

upriver_9076.jpg

Dave

RAM also has reservoir covers with RAM balls, either to the side or centered on the cover, if you'd like something more to one side or the other.

this is how i mounted mine. the bracket bends down and back and attach's to the guage cluster mount. there are more pictures on another post i made. visibility is excellent and its out of the way and protected from most weather.

001-3.jpg

Roy's mounting location, or the guys with the shelves, should be given a lot of consideration. I find myself with my head tipped down looking at the Geeps way to much (which is to say any at all).

Riding through the Mountains of WV this summer my son hailed me over the Bike to Bike:

Son: Wow! You saw that right?

Me: No what?

Son: That deer just bounced across the road between you and the pickup truck ahead of you!

Me: Shit. I must have been looking down at the f%*@$% GPS again.

I try to listen to the voices in my head more than I look at the pretty GPS pitchers, but having the GPS up as high as possible is a really good idea. BTW mine's on the longest ram extension (8") on a stem ball.

+1 on what BikerGeek said and is using.

I use the same stem nut mount and then you purchase a platform that has spring loaded fingers that secure the GPS.

The spring loaded platform is sized for your particular size GPS and attaches to the base you see in his photo.

Mark

I bolted my 2730 to the front of my helmet. Hard to focus though, so I extended it out a half a foot-perfect.

paranav-gps-helmet.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I got the ram ball mount that screws into the unused hole on the left handlebar. Easy peasy.

That may be what I do next. I'm thinking of putting the ram ball in the mirror hole, then run the extension arm to put the GPS in front and above the instruments? Not sure about clearances, I'll have to play with it. I really like Roy's location as the GPS doesn't move with the bars...

Since it came up, my 2610 on the mirror-hole RAM ball. This viewpoint is with the camera sitting on the top box to steady it, so it's considerably lower than my eyeball point of view. Looking at it from the seat, it's "below" the left-side mirror. If I have my Cee Bailey windshield on and all the way down, the GPS barely touches it at full right lock on the bars. It doesn't touch the stock shield. I used the short arm from RAM, 2.5 inches, I think, and their backing plate, which had the same AMP bolt pattern as Garmin's cradle, so it screwed right on. Garmin's cradle stores the power cord when the device is not mounted, which is a nice touch.

Bar movement while riding is not an issue. If I'm moving the bars far enough to matter, then I'm not looking for GPS info, I'm turning in a parking lot or something. On the road your bars don't move far enough to matter.

The mount survived a left-side lowside, GPS stayed in the cradle, although the RAM ball unscrewed a quarter turn. (I believe in testing things completely.)

Viewfromtopboxzoomed.jpg

garminmountempty.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: