Three sisters ride from Austin and back in a day

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Texan

Rollie Reincarnated
Reaction score

Alternate ride edit due to rain - see post #23 or this new topic here.

I would like to hook up with a wagon train of FJRs for a 400 mile near-half-iron-butt ride through the three sisters one day soon this spring. I've ridden 337-336 from Austin in one day, but never all three and back. It will be a challenge, but lots of fun.

If you haven't ridden the three sisters, you are in for a treat. Riders literally come in from all over the country for this choice ride. You'll see the most lovely countryside in Texas, and experience several thousand feet of elevation and the twisties that come with hugging the Texas hills. Plus, it's bluebonnet season.

Here is the proposed route (deviation suggestions are welcome). 3-sisters-route

Proposed dates are:

1. Saturday April 18

2. Saturday April 25

3. Saturday May 2

4. Saturday May 9

We will meet at daybreak-30 at the gas station at the corner of RR12 and Hwy290 (I think it is a Shell).

Please vote your favorite day and we'll take a democratic rule.

Last edited by a moderator:
HINT: You need to use the handy-dandy polling function here on the board. Saves you time by eliminating having to add up all the votes, and puts the results in one spot.

My druthers:

#1 - 5/9

#2 - 4/18

Can't do the other two.

Thx,

Jeff D

Avery Ranch

I'll be in Bandera this weekend for our 5th Annual Oilmans Invitational Hill Country Ride, so I'll keep an eye out for your guys on the sisters. If'n ya see a '08 with blacked out windscreen, dat would be me! Give a wave. :)

HINT: You need to use the handy-dandy polling function here on the board. Saves you time by eliminating having to add up all the votes, and puts the results in one spot.
My druthers:

#1 - 5/9

#2 - 4/18

Can't do the other two.

Thx,

Jeff D

Avery Ranch
Good advice and easy enough, thanks.

I voted for both 4/18 and 5/9. You may want to change the seetings, so a person can only vote once.

I'm going to use the location map to find more Austin FJR riders and will send a PM link to this thread tonight. We already have 4 who can ride this Saturday. Gas 'em up.

Thanks for organizing. I can only make the 9th and I'm just getting back in to the swing of riding again after a 6yr layoff, so I would prefer shorter and slower, but don't let me hold you guys back.

Off to the Tea Party rally downtown......

I can make the 18th... I can probably do 2 sisters..don't know about that third one.. :rolleyes: but if I can't keep up will just head on home and be glad I got to meet others riders in the Austin area....

If anyone is interested I just put up a VStream on craigslist for $100.00

Thanks for setting this up.....

Here is another alternative. This is the two-sisters route and probably gives us enough time to enjoy an hour lunch in Vanderpool at the Lone Star Motorcycle Museum.

2-sisters-route

This route is 70 miles shorter and will allow time for socializing, whereas the other route is likely to be riding all day long in order to make it back before dark.

Comments?

Here is another alternative. This is the two-sisters route and probably gives us enough time to enjoy an hour lunch in Vanderpool at the Lone Star Motorcycle Museum.
2-sisters-route

This route is 70 miles shorter and will allow time for socializing, whereas the other route is likely to be riding all day long in order to make it back before dark.

Comments?
Link does not seem to work Texan. I am up for anything, however.

2-sisters-route

Comments?
Looks like you have a bad link to the 2 sister route... can't pull it up.. if it is a choice of shorter ride and socializing a little or just riding all day then I am for the shorter ride...

2-sisters-route

Comments?

I am interested in the two-sisters route as of right now I have nothing planed for the next two Saturdays I have had a knee replaced last year and have not ridden for almost a year and would like to start back riding agin but 400 miles is a little much for first trip back riding. send me a PM if the two-sisters trip is planed. Would like to meet some of local riders from the forum and get to know each other face to face. my riding style is moderate.

MrZel (Ziggy)

I would like to hook up with a wagon train of FJRs for a 400 mile near-half-iron-butt ride through the three sisters one day soon this spring. I've ridden 337-336 from Austin in one day, but never all three and back. It will be a challenge, but lots of fun.
If you haven't ridden the three sisters, you are in for a treat. Riders literally come in from all over the country for this choice ride. You'll see the most lovely countryside in Texas, and experience several thousand feet of elevation and the twisties that come with hugging the Texas hills. Plus, it's bluebonnet season.

Here is the proposed route (deviation suggestions are welcome). 3-sisters-route

Proposed dates are:

1. Saturday April 18

2. Saturday April 25

3. Saturday May 2

4. Saturday May 9

We will meet at daybreak-30 at the gas station at the corner of RR12 and Hwy290 (I think it is a Shell).

Please vote your favorite day and we'll take a democratic rule.

Send me a PM if trip in this Saturday and when your link to route is working where and when to meet .

MrZel (Ziggy)

Texan, got your PM tonight.

Not sure if I can make it this Saturday. But, would be interested in more organized rides.

I ride with a group of guys that own mostly BMWs and Ducs. We meet every Sunday morning at RR12 and Hamilton Pool Rd at the market. Have been doing this for 6 or 7 years now. I prefer Sundays as there is hardly any cars on the road in the hill country.

I'll see if I can make it for this saturday.

Hope to meet up with you guys soon.

I see some avatars here that I have chatted with about riding together, but never have yet, (FantasticJohnR, Mr. Zel). Two sisters is fine for me, but I suggest that we grab lunch in Leakey, instead of Vanderpool:

Bent Rim Grill

Nice place, pretty scenic view out the back doors. The museum is all right, but unless you pay to go in, you're standing out in a gravel parking lot. Just my $0.02...

I see some avatars here that I have chatted with about riding together, but never have yet, (FantasticJohnR, Mr. Zel). Two sisters is fine for me, but I suggest that we grab lunch in Leakey, instead of Vanderpool:
Bent Rim Grill

Nice place, pretty scenic view out the back doors. The museum is all right, but unless you pay to go in, you're standing out in a gravel parking lot. Just my $0.02...
I agree with your choice. 2 sisters is fine and seems better for most people. But one day, I'm gonna finally make it all the way to 335.