Throttle Body Sync

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GreyGoose

Reaction score
Picked up the bike today. Good G_d , i cant figure out where they put that turbo charger , but i know its in there somewhere.

anyway, I get excessive vibration through my bars and mirrors between 3500-4000 rpm's. Cant see if the cars behind me have red bubbles on top of them due to the vibs.

Will a thottle body syncronization at 600 miles smooth things out?

Anyone else notice this on there new 06's.

GreyGoose

Hey GreyG., it is possible that a TBS will smoothe things out a bit for ya but, that would presume your machine left the factory miscalibrated in the first place. I suppose it could be. The fact that your vibes are in that narrow range leads me to conclude that it is a characteristic of your particular unit...this has been evident in some pre `06 bikes as well...some are rougher than others. I just completed my first TBS after 22,000 kms yesterday and the 4 readings were within spec (in that 10mm tolerance) surprizingly enough. I managed to even them up a bit closer though and while I could not discern anydifference in the vibe scale, my throttle transitions were definitely less snatchy. :assassin:

My '05 was buzzy at first too. Get those breakin miles on ASAP, things will smooth out a bit just from that. Once breakin was done, I did the Unauthorized TB synch and it helped A LOT. Run a search, you'll find the thread.

Get her broken in first, then see what you have. I had read a thread some time ago about a member with excessive vibration that turned out to be improperly torqued engine mounts. Hard to find, but an easy fix.

I have an 05 with 7k on the odometer.......

I have changed grips.......no change,

heavy duty bar ends......no change,

new avons..............little to no change,

cranked down on the motor mounts.......slight change but still buzzes at 3500 - 4000.

Sometimes my hand will become numb.

OTT, I love the bike.

I think its just one of those phenomenoms that no one can truly explain......at least not yet.

There is quite a bit written about this problem.........I have yet to find one solution that fits all.

Good luck,

NC

I have an 05 with 7k on the odometer.......I have changed grips.......no change,

heavy duty bar ends......no change,

new avons..............little to no change,

cranked down on the motor mounts.......slight change but still buzzes at 3500 - 4000.

Sometimes my hand will become numb.

OTT, I love the bike.

I think its just one of those phenomenoms that no one can truly explain......at least not yet.

There is quite a bit written about this problem.........I have yet to find one solution that fits all.

Good luck,

NC

I bought my '04 on Dec 30th, with 2005 miles on it...i too noticed the vibes around 4K, and did a TBS to see if it made any difference....did seem to help slightly, but was still there....now at 10K miles on it, and the FJR is getting smoother every day...looks like break in has finally completed and the vibes are down by 90% or more...plus, the engine seems to be smoother and pulling harder with every mile I put on it.

Same thing on my last bike, a Honda(V-4 motor)...by the time i sold it at 43K miles, it was running smoother and stronger than ever.

Bottom line, put some miles on it, and odds are the vibes will decrease with engine break in.

Jay

'04 FJR 1300

Yeah, I've had problems with vibes. In fact my '03 was sold as my XX was sooo much smoother (this is a prelude to link below). Anyway, I ended up buying an '04 and selling the XX. 25K now on my '04 and here are some observations:

- heavyweight bar ends & grips no help (removed)

- TBS's have helped somewhat

- Power Commander III with "smooth" map has helped moderately

- About 5K then again about 10K things seemed to have smoothed out somewhat

- MCCruise electronic cruise has helped immensely

Even now my right hand will go numb within ~15 miles. Probably wouldn't still have the bike without the cruise. That said, as the mileage will attest, I do love the FJR.

See:

https://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index.php?showtopic=7721

It can be minimized, but never completely eliminated-it's just a characteristic of the engine that it's gonna buzz right in there. So most do 50 or 90, seems to solve the problem completely, and accounts for the widely differing mileage numbers on the Vons. TDub and I, being old and slow, get 12000 or better on them, others are lucky to get 5 thou. You get the idea......... :D

Last edited by a moderator:
Dont forget vibration could come from an unbalanced tire as well. My 06 is smooooooth...and sloooooow!

It can be minimized, but never completely eliminated-it's just a characteristic of the engine that it's gonna buzz right in there. So most do 50 or 90, seems to solve the problem completely, and accounts for the widely differing mileage numbers on the Vons. TDub and I, being old and slow, get 12000 or better on them, others are lucky to get 5 thou. You get the idea......... :D
radman,

Are you serious? 12k on a set? Are you referring to the V45/46 combo?

Just the possibility of >5k on a set of hyperbike tires makes me wanna :yahoo:

radman,
Are you serious? 12k on a set? Are you referring to the V45/46 combo?

Just the possibility of >5k on a set of hyperbike tires makes me wanna :yahoo:
Actually, 12,500, and i was just starting to get into the wear bars on the rear. And yes, the 45/46's.

Last edited by a moderator:
TDub and I, being old and slow, get 12000 or better on them, others are lucky to get 5 thou. You get the idea......... :D

Keeeerap! :eek: Best I've got was 6,500 on the 'Vons. I don't ride on felt lined roadways as does or esteemed (steamed?) radman, here.

Best tire wear I've seen to date has been the Z4's @ 8.5k. Looks like the Pilot Roads I'm on now, may make to 5K. We'll see.

I like to keep a buzzz :drag: at about 5k, and my lop rear, though admittedly square, has 7500 and I am just now at the very beginning of the wear bars, I got another couple k left

TDub and I, being old and slow, get 12000 or better on them, others are lucky to get 5 thou. You get the idea......... :D

Keeeerap! :eek: Best I've got was 6,500 on the 'Vons. I don't ride on felt lined roadways as does or esteemed (steamed?) radman, here.

Best tire wear I've seen to date has been the Z4's @ 8.5k. Looks like the Pilot Roads I'm on now, may make to 5K. We'll see.
My mistake, I keep mixing up you and Spinny.

Yeah, I've had problems with vibes. In fact my '03 was sold as my XX was sooo much smoother (this is a prelude to link below). Anyway, I ended up buying an '04 and selling the XX. 25K now on my '04 and here are some observations:

- heavyweight bar ends & grips no help (removed)

- TBS's have helped somewhat

- Power Commander III with "smooth" map has helped moderately

- About 5K then again about 10K things seemed to have smoothed out somewhat

- MCCruise electronic cruise has helped immensely

Even now my right hand will go numb within ~15 miles. Probably wouldn't still have the bike without the cruise. That said, as the mileage will attest, I do love the FJR.

See:

https://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index.php?showtopic=7721
Old thread but I thought this might help others too. I read a thread that after everything was to FSM and his hand were numb the owner adjusted the internal "Balance Shafts" .
Problem solved. IIRC it was a gen I.