Throttle Body Synch Question - Every 5000 miles?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SoCalFJR1300

Reaction score
Are you guys finding that your TB's are really needing to be synched every 5,000 miles like the manual says?

Seems too frequent to me but what are you finding?

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm finding that if you don't do it at all the engine still runs like it did when it was new.

Check TBS every spark plug change. More often than not, no adjustment is needed.

Based on our Tech Day experience GENIIs seem to hold sync much better than GENIs for some unknown reason...

--G

Thanks guys...........I notice at idle my tach jumps a little and I can hear a little uneven idle, thought I should have it checked.....just over 5,000 miles and probably never done......I bought it with 2,900.

20,000 miles ago a sync was done. Today the FJR rode like it did 20,000 miles ago, perfect. 260 miles with 10 fellow FJR riders in San Diego County, mountains and desert. Turned 75k today. So much fun. This bike has always ran perfect since the day it was born. I think after a good 150 mile run it is even stronger and faster.

Thanks guys...........I notice at idle my tach jumps a little and I can hear a little uneven idle, thought I should have it checked.....just over 5,000 miles and probably never done......I bought it with 2,900.
They all have a little lean stumble at idle, and a TBS will not change it either.

I've never listened to an FJR at idle that didn't do it. It is really nothing to worry about.

Example of a perfectly normal sounding FJR:

(you can really hear the lumpiness with the aftermarket exhausts).

The factory approved version of the TBS accomplishes nothing, as it only balances the vacuum at idle. A few years back I came up with a different sync procedure that actually adjusts the throttle plates, which will help sync the cylinders at all rpms. I called it the Really, Definitely, Completely UnAuthorized TBS, because there were already some other versions of UnAuthorized TBS procedures out at the time that required a lot of throttle blipping or holding the RPMs up at 4K while adjusting. You can access my RDCUA-TBS procedure by clicking the little nerd in my signature line.

Now, what exactly does it do for you? Not an incredible amount. It can reduce engine vibration in certain rpm ranges, especially in the 4k-5k rpm range where we tend to find ourselves highway cruising at, if your throttles were previously out of sync. If your throttle plates are already perfectly aligned, then going through the procedure won't accomplish a damned thing. In the dozen or more different FJRs I have performed this on (both 1st and second gens) I have never yet found a bike that is in perfect sync beforehand. In every case the owners noticed a small improvement in vibration / buzziness.

If you don't do this, the bike will continue to run just fine. YMMV

They all have a little lean stumble at idle, and a TBS will not change it either.

I've never listened to an FJR at idle that didn't do it. It is really nothing to worry about.

I've read the link above last year, bought a 4 tube sync tool and proceded to do the sync. I modified it slightly by adding a load to the engine when doing the sync at hyway speed to mimick cruising. It definitely got rid of any vibration. Nothing like a 4 throttle body engine running in sync at high RPM.

Fred, I've just been reading your RDCUA-TBS procedure, not having seen it before. How I could have missed such an excellent and logical procedure I cannot imagine but I must a) thank you for taking the time to post it and B) congratulate you on what is a most useful piece of work. I shall be applying it at the earliest opportunity.

Hmmmm....so it seams there isn't much benefit for doing the TBS since I don't feel a lot if vibration??
If it doesn't make the bike run any better or faster why bother?
It makes it run smoother (less vibration). That is about it.

Fred, I've just been reading your RDCUA-TBS procedure, not having seen it before. How I could have missed such an excellent and logical procedure I cannot imagine but I must a) thank you for taking the time to post it and
cool.png
congratulate you on what is a most useful piece of work. I shall be applying it at the earliest opportunity.
Glad if it is helpful to you or anyone else.

Fred the new ones don't do it........

R

R

Richard,

Not that I don't believe you, I think it is entirely possible, and I do hope that you are right. It would be one more reason for me to upgrade my '05 to a G3 (sometime in the future.)

But, could you possible make a video recording of the bike idling after it is warmed up? A picture is worth 1000 words and a video is worth 1,000,000!!

R

Richard,

Not that I don't believe you, I think it is entirely possible, and I do hope that you are right. It would be one more reason for me to upgrade my '05 to a G3 (sometime in the future.)

But, could you possible make a video recording of the bike idling after it is warmed up? A picture is worth 1000 words and a video is worth 1,000,000!!
I've owned a gen 1 and 2 gen 2s before my gen 3 and mine have all stumbled at idle, including the latest. YMMV

I know, huh?
rolleyes.gif

Think I'll start a new thread collecting all the stupid things "My local dealer told me..."
wink.png

In the dozen or more different FJRs I have performed this on (both 1st and second gens) I have never yet found a bike that is in perfect sync beforehand. In every case the owners noticed a small improvement in vibration / buzziness.

Or at least after spending two hours doing an adjustment they perceived it was smoother.

I for damned sure would say it felt better afterwards too. But then again, when I do the regular TBS I always think it feels smoother afterwards.