Throttle By Wire Is/Is Not A Wrist-Killer?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My 08 had a great throttle, after 4 years riding the 08 it is still taking me a bit to get used to my 13 and virtually no resistance to my right hand, in either mode. Very smooth and almost too precise, responds to any movement intentional or otherwise.

For me, the throttle is a joy. Previously, I have only had cable throttles. That clutch, however, is a different matter. After sitting through 3 or 4 red lights, it feels good to be rolling again!

Wrist killer ??. Since I own a 2003 and a 2013 all I can say is that they function the same way. You turn them and you accelerate. You let go and they snap back. Very similar to the cars I own or drive. You step on the pedal and they accelerate .... You get the picture.

Wrist killer ??. Since I own a 2003 and a 2013 all I can say is that they function the same way. You turn them and you accelerate. You let go and they snap back. Very similar to the cars I own or drive. You step on the pedal and they accelerate .... You get the picture.
Don't know how old you are, but I'm very old. Wrists aren't as strong as they once were. It's not the strength so much as holding against that spring for a long time.

On my Gen II I've unwound my spring, wrapped rubber round the throttle to decrease the grip necessary, and still had to add a CC. I'm still riding. If I'd not done those things I would not be. If only I could have a Gen III life would be less of a (wrist) strain.

I have a throttlemeister cc on my 2003 which allows the adjustment of the throttle return spring action at infinite levels. This allows for an almost stress free position of choice which can be varied at any time of a journey.

Would this be of value?? BTW most likely I am older than you are!!

Best of luck..

Being 5'7", at least before the broken back (RC51 throttle control lesson) and 125lbs I set the '13 to tour unless it was dry. After a couple of slow speed drops in tour mode in full lock turns I haven't been in tour mode no matter what the conditions. There is just not enough throttle response in tour and it is just bloody embarrassing asking for help picking that beast up. I can attest to the functionality of the traction control in sport mode. My heart in my throat and adrenaline dump to the stomach is much easier on the ego and the '13! Tour mode would be much better if Yamaha didn't take away throttle response and dialed in more ABS and traction control instead.

Being 5'7", at least before the broken back (RC51 throttle control lesson) and 125lbs I set the '13 to tour unless it was dry. After a couple of slow speed drops in tour mode in full lock turns I haven't been in tour mode no matter what the conditions. There is just not enough throttle response in tour and it is just bloody embarrassing asking for help picking that beast up. I can attest to the functionality of the traction control in sport mode. My heart in my throat and adrenaline dump to the stomach is much easier on the ego and the '13! Tour mode would be much better if Yamaha didn't take away throttle response and dialed in more ABS and traction control instead.
I don't get it. “Tour” mode is a throttle mapping setting. You seem to be saying “Tour mode would be better if it was something completely different in concept than it is.” As for “dialing in more ABS and traction control instead” I also don’t get it. The Gen III ABS (like all earlier ABS FJRs, I assume) is designed to avoid any lockup. Similarly, the traction control is designed to avoid and mitigate any differential in speed between front and back wheel. What’s to dial in?
search.gif

I’m not trying to pick a fight but if you’re saying that you need to have the bike in Sport mode so that you can “gun it” and rocket forward during your tight parking maneuvers to prevent a topple, I would humbly suggest that you either need a smaller/lighter bike or an experienced rider training course.

I know that tour is throttle mapping hence the fly by wire topic. I don't "need" to have the bike is sport mode. I prefer it. Personally I am more comfortable with higher revs at smaller inputs along with clutch and brake, Denver, than having to roll on more throttle for the same revs. I've owned many large bikes but never one with ABS, Mapping, etc. I could never put both feet or toes on the ground on my Multistrada or even my BSA 30 years ago. I am not blaming the bike but my learning curve with the throttle mapping. I prefer the sport mode not because I can "gun it" but because it is more familiar for me to control the throttle with smaller input. Unlike some people I leave the "gunning it" for track days G man. Anyone can go fast in a straight line...not to start a fight.