Time for a new bike...

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RossKean

Reaction score
The '07 FJR is getting a little long in the tooth at close to 200,000 miles although it continues to work reliably. I plan on keeping it but I would like to get a new bike capable of rough roads but comfortable enough to go cross-continent, if I want.

Currently considering the Super Tenere and both varieties of V-Strom (650 and 1000 cc). Trying to get a little more feedback on the Triumph Tiger as well. Decided to forego the BMWs for a lot of rea$ons. For some reason, the Honda Africa Twin doesn't appeal.

Just trying to solicit some advice from someone who has more experience with these bikes. The Wee is lower cost but at less than 70 HP, I could be disappointed. The larger Strom costs more and offers 30 more ponies but is heavier and has poorer fuel range. The Tenere is a bit more powerful than the Man-Strom, has electronic suspension and has a shaft drive. I am comfortable with the Yamaha reliability but the bike's weight and cost are greater.

Any thoughts?

Have you ridden them? I enjoyed my rides on the ST but would not prefer it for LD vs. the FJR, although I don't plan to spend much time off-road.

I do know, however, people in all three camps (v, V, and ST) - and they all swear their choice is the best for their needs.

I've had all three, although the V and Wee were the original body style.

I agree that the Wee does seem lacking in the power department. And it just seemed a little small.

I enjoyed my Vee. Took it off road in Nevada and got stuck several times, but it handled very rough non-technical dirt trails OK. I kinda regret selling it because it was so well setup and I only took 2800 for it.

But I was able to score a great deal on 2012 Tenere, which is partly why I unloaded the Vee so quickly. The S10 is IMO the choice of the three. I believe it is by design the most versatile of the three. In my recent ride report I document my 1500 miles in 36 hours back to Los Angeles from Denver. It was a comfy ride. I've yet to take it on any dirt, but I have high expectation from what I've read.

I like the S10, but it won't replace the FJR like I thought it might. I like the upright riding position, but it's just not as smooth, refined, and fast. The FJR also has far superior aerodynamics IMO.

All that said, for dirt roads and playing around, the Wee might be fun simply because it is lighter than the others.

My .02.

Last edited by a moderator:
I’ve just sold my ‘09 Vstrom with 58,000km on it and would have bought another but I didnt like the looks of the new one, decided that the trade-off’s to make it more off-road capable such as the front tire size with a “trail” speed rating less than what the bike was capable ( and fun ) of being ridden at. In 7 years I only had 1 failure - a coil for the front cylinder. In my arrogant opinion it was tremendous value for the money, more than fast enough and had pretty good ergos. If they only sold it configured as a strictly road bike...

The Tenere has the same trade-offs and is heavier to boot, the Africa Twin is far too “off road” oriented. I did consider the KTM Super Duke GT, but the closest dealer is a 2 day ride away, likewise the Aprilia Caponord 1200 Travel pack...I think that if you have a dealer close to you for either the KTM or the Aprilia that they are worth looking at...The Yamaha Tracer is also a good option, maybe..if the vibration at highway speeds has been solved..

Oh, btw, after re-reading your initial post I realized I overlooked two things: your quest for cross-continent suitability and shaft drive.

I concur that shaft drive is awesome. Whenever I tinker with a chain I appreciate my FJR all the more. The shaft is one of the main reasons I wanted the S10.

I could have ridden my Vee cross country about as easily as my S10, but I give the edge to the S10 there too. Again, I'm comparing the old model. But the shaft plays into this calculation also; more maintenance free while covering lots of miles.

The S10 might weigh a little more than the Vee, but she caries it better, at least compared to the old Vee. I believe the center of gravity to be lower and the bike just seems better balanced.

Lastly, while Suzuki reliability is good and the Vee and Wee are known to be mile-munching tanks, nothing tops Yamaha for reliability.

Responding using phone so quoting is not as easy...

I have not ridden any of these bikes. Had a good look at a MC show and sat on them etc. I have done a bunch of reading but no test rides. Unfortunately, although there are some decent dealer incentives on now, they will be over by the time weather is good enough.

I was surprised that the Wee is pretty much the same size as the VEE. And the smaller bike sells more than twice as many. A bit lighter and the dealer has a good deal going with an "Adventure" configuration including Givi aluminum cases, skidplate and windshield.

Power is a big concern for the highway but not for the rough roads. Shaft drive and Yamaha reliability vs lower costs...

I wish I could ride each for a full day. I can't so I hope to learn from others. I appreciate the input so far.

I just picked up an AT. I have yet to do serious mile munching on it, but I think it will be ok for me.

Are you just looking to ride on unpaved roads for the most part? Or, are you looking for more technical stuff in the future once you find out how much fun it is?

The only thing I have to add on chain vs shaft is if you end up doing water crossings, you could introduce water to your final drive. Just a thought.

The S10 and the Tigers come with factory CC IIRC. Will be a spendy add on for me.

Got a buddy that has a '14 Tiger 800 that I have ridden down the slab. Decent power for an 800. It's a great bike, fairly comfortable for the rider, but both my wife and my buddies wife were less then impressed riding pillion. According to Consumer Reports Triumph is 7th in reliability with a 29% failure rate and the closest dealer is 160 miles south of me, so I opted for the Honda

If you are in no particular hurry, Yamaha and KTM both have middleweights on the horizon. The Tenere 700 that uses the FZ-07 engine and KTM is putting out a 690.

Have you been on ADVRider? There are tons of pages for each of the bikes your looking at.

Good luck!

...The only thing I have to add on chain vs shaft is if you end up doing water crossings, you could introduce water to your final drive. Just a thought....
Not in my experience.
Having gone through this a couple of times:

(Click on image for larger view)

Checked the oil afterwards:

Not a sign of any water.

Ross - it would be helpful if you could more specifically describe your expectations regarding rough roads.

One thing stands out to me so far. I wouldnt let cost be the most important factor. Obviously, it has to be considered. But youve kept the FJR for 11 years and ridden it a ton. If you are planning to keep this next bike anywhere close to that long, then a couple thousand buck more spread out that long wont amount to a hill of beans.

^ And to spin pants' reasoning a complete 180, some of the bikes you're looking at, especially the 'Stroms, can be had used and nicely set-up for bargain prices. It might not hurt too much $$-wise, if at all, to pick one up and try it for a bit, even if it's not exactly what you want to see if it's doing what you're after.

Just trying to solicit some advice from someone who has more experience with these bikes. The Wee is lower cost but at less than 70 HP, I could be disappointed. The larger Strom costs more and offers 30 more ponies but is heavier and has poorer fuel range. The Tenere is a bit more powerful than the Man-Strom, has electronic suspension and has a shaft drive. I am comfortable with the Yamaha reliability but the bike's weight and cost are greater.
Don't forget to take into account the different suspensions (and brakes and electronics) between the models you're considering. It seems like there's some worth-while differences there and might be just as important to consider as HP. FWIW, I have a '12 Wee and have done several hours of slab at a time. There's one or two things I wish it did better but can't say I ever felt it was under-powered for my needs.

Ross, I'm in a similar situation. I've ridden my KLR over 10,000 miles in the last 8 months going to Alaska and Baja. I had a Wee-strom Adventure model for a few months, sold it to get the KLR because the Wee, as purchased, was only suited for maintained gravel/dirt roads. Simply lacked in ground clearance and was a bit too heavy, heavy in general. Looking back on my two long trips I'm glad I made the switch though I did sacrifice some too end cruising speed. The KLR, with a 685 kit and one tooth more on the primary sprocket (16/43) Cruises all day at 75 mph at just under 5K.

I have been looking at a replacement for the KLR. I really like the Triumph Tiger 800 XcX. There are a,lot of 17holdovers out there and Triumph has a 1,000 rebate as well as free Panniers and a Top Box this month. The 18 Tiger has some 200 improvements but I'd be happy with a 15-17 XcX which provides Cruise Control, several traction modes and ABS. I too thought about wanting a shaft drive, but after my latest trip to Baja where I cleaned my chain once with WD40 and never lubed it at all, I no longer worry about modern o/x-ring chains. My chain has been on since Tok, AK and has not worn appreciably. I've adjusted it once.

Cruise control is mandatory for me. The Tiger has more power than the comparable BMW GS800/850 and gets better marks on the road. Weight wise the are all heavy when loaded for adventure and on their side in the sand.

In the last year or two (or three)MotorcycleConsumerNews did a very good article matching the new big V and the Ten. I purchased a new 2014 V-strom 1000 in 2015, price was right but the weight (lightness) sold me, 505lbs wet.(150lbs less then the ten the article said) Much easier on my hip then my 2006 wing. What big J said about the new chains is quite accurate, 12,000miles and one adjustment since break-in service. I have known of a couple of trumpets awaiting parts from merry olde England and these are the newer ones. 2014 V has a great engine in my opinion. Only addition was the lower seat option to help my footing when stopping on uneven terrain. Almost forgot, 5.3 gal tank and 44 to 48mpg depending on how you play.

I have just shy of 100k on an '07 650 strom. I've ridden from here in the PNW to Deadhorse, down to NM, and several points all over in between. Of course it has less oomph than the 1k, but the only time I found myself wishing I had taken one of my other bikes was trying to pass semis that were going 80+ uphill heading east into AZ. It struggled mightily to do it, and I got the worst mileage on that bike I ever had during that stretch. I hit forest roads and trails with it often, and while the KLR and DRz I have are certainly more capable there, the V-strom can do it all with maybe just a bit more attentiveness. It remains my favorite ride.

You really should look for an opportunity to ride the bikes and then decide. I say that because I thought I wanted a Super Ten a few years ago but changed my mind as soon as I took one on a demo ride. It simply was not for me.

This is terrific feedback!

I did the original post and response from a phone so didn't go into much detail...

I have NO personal experience with this class of motorcycle but I have a pretty clear idea what I want to do with it.

The mission - provide some relief to the ageing FJR and provide a suitable mount for the roads less travelled. I will still keep the FJR and continue to use it. Lately, I have grown somewhat weary of the local roads that are readily accessible with the FJR (I start to recognize every bump in the road and every tree I pass by!). There are tons of trails and woods roads that are available and largely avoided on the FJR. Also, I really want to explore places like the Trans-Labrador Highway, Haul Road and Dempster Highway - not to mention a bunch of rough road opportunities along the way. I do a fair amount of camping on the bike (want to do more) and there are lots of places to explore where a more off-road capable machine would prove to be an advantage. Retirement is coming up in the next year or two and I have some longer trips on the bucket list.

In reality, I would expect that 70+ % of riding would be on slab or decent funner back roads (50:50) to get there. Perhaps 20% would be on OK gravel or dirt roads and not much more than 5% true off-road experience (although the ratios might change). The point is that I need a bike that is capable and comfortable enough to do whole days of slab riding to get to where I want to go but able to cover more challenging terrain once I get there. It has to be a bit of a pack-horse as well but not planning to carry a passenger. I don't need a bike capable of extreme off-roading - I'm too old for that shit anyway!

Wee vs VEE - Almost everyone who has the Wee has been pleasantly surprised with performance and they do not overwhelmingly wish they had bought the DL-1000 or other, more powerful bike. Most find it is right for its intended purpose. Pretty light and it carries its weight decently. At just under 70 HP for the current version, it is slightly more powerful than a full-dressed (900lb+) Harley of a few years ago! 2017 available now with some pretty good dealer incentives including a kick-ass set of aluminum Givi panniers + topbox, Givi skid plate, engine guards, hand guards, Givi Windscreen etc. Comes in at 200 lb lighter than the FJR (and half the power). (While a KLR 650 would probably do the rough road part of the mission, I don't think it would be satisfactory for getting me there - especially if cross-continent!) The Wee has been described as the best existing deal in a motorcycle - not the best at doing anything but does it all at a price that is very competitive!

The big VEE is, of course, going to be more powerful with about 30 more HP and not a lot more weight (40 lb?) and a little more than $3000 more money. Poorer gas mileage (and tank range) and I doubt that there would be much effective difference in the riding experience except in a high-speed run on the highway, acceleration from a standing start, roll-on at 80 mph, passing trucks on an uphill run etc. They give top speed for the Wee at 115 mph and 125 mph for the VEE (99 HP). Still, the big VEE (Man-Strom) might be less disappointing after the experience of riding the FJR? But lets face it, the full power of the FJR is used a few seconds a day (maybe). (But still addictive and fun.) Tough call on this!

The Super T­énéré is, I think, going to be more refined. Electronic Suspension, more power (but only ~10 more than DL-1000), 100 lb more than the DL-650 (61 lb more than DL-1000), Yamaha reliability, shaft drive. Better fit and finish for the S-10 and some other bells-and-whistles as well but quite a bit more expensive too. What else?

As I mentioned above (and specifically discussed by bigjohnsd), the Triumph Tiger should be a contender as well. Pretty good power and people seem to like them but I know very little about them. I don't think I have seen any on the street around my area and I don't think the dealer network will be as extensive. Still, I like the look of them and the 3 cyl engine is well regarded. Definitely need some more research on that. As John mentioned, they came out with MAJOR changes/improvements for the 2018 model so there are some decent deals and incentives for leftover 2017's. Don't know whether I would end out by lusting after the newer version or not...

As I mentioned, the Honda Africa Twin should be considered but the bike doesn't push my buttons at all for some reason - not bargain priced either. Still, I might drop by the local dealer...

I put a lot of miles on my bikes so, in the long run, purchase price is not as important as reliability and maintenance costs. Still, there is never any guarantee that paying more will yield a more reliable bike or one better fit-for-purpose - just ask any BMW owner. I would love to get out on all of these bikes for a decent test run but that won't happen while the early season deals are still on.

I really appreciate the feedback, suggestions and advice. I'm going to do a little hunting on advrider.com and on stromtrooper.com as well. Any recommendation for a Super T forum?

Thanks

I would still recommend ADVRider, there is a ton of information on all the bikes you are looking at. For me, it was a bit overwhelming, but if you have the time, take a look.

Oh yea, you thought farkling an FJR was spendy......

I would still recommend ADVRider, there is a ton of information on all the bikes you are looking at. For me, it was a bit overwhelming, but if you have the time, take a look.
Oh yea, you thought farkling an FJR was spendy......
I have done a bit of reading on ADVRider as well as on some of the brand-specific forums and on-line articles from moto magazines. A lot to figure out and a lot of varying opinions. A used bike purchase would reduce the financial risk of buying the wrong bike and having to trade to the right one. Not a lot of used adventure-type bikes in my area - at least not anything new enough for me to consider right now.

Yamahasupertenere dot com.

Not as extensive a history as here I don't think. Definitely far less going on than advrider, but model specific. Should be all the info you'll need on the Tenere, though.

Great information on the Tenere forum that 'bruin references. Search feature works really well too so answers are easily found. Lots of FJR or ex-FJR inmates there.

Love my Tenere and for my intended use [rough road touring bike] it works very well. All day comfortable, fast enough [with a flashed ECU], big tank with great fuel mileage and rides lighter than it is.

--G