Time to hang 'em up, it's my time apparently

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RaYzerman19

Go Wings!
Reaction score
Sorry, this will be a longer post than normal as I struggle with this life-changing circumstance.

You may or may not have noticed that I haven't posted up much here lately, as I've been going through some physical and mental struggles. Exactly one month ago it was my 64th birthday and I received the bad news about some test results. I have always wondered as I creep up in age when I will have to give up motorcycling, as it is likely to happen sooner or later, but I was not expecting it would be sooner than later. I was not hoping for this soon, obviously, but I have always been more on the private side and not wanting to bother anyone with any of my troubles. Everybody has troubles now and then, sometimes life just deals you a different set of cards.

I have a good friend and former riding buddy in WV who, following an accident where he was t-boned on his bike and spent a couple of years recovering (still limps), has developed a condition where he starts out on a ride on his old Goldwing and a half hour later he doesn't know where he is or how he got there. And other sorts of memory problems where he might know your face, but for the life of him doesn't know who you are, including close friends he sees more often. His 'dimentia' has been diagnosed as Altzheimers, he lives alone, has had to retire to a not-so-fancy cottage down by the river. I and others have been keeping in touch and trying to keep his spirits up...... but unfortunately it is sinking in deeper with me lately.

Anyway, I have been struggling with some 'dimentia' issues as well, forgetting stuff, the shortest to-do list always seems too long lately, not remembering what day it is and what was on the calendar, needing more afternoon naps. The tests so far are ongoing and not conclusive as to exactly what it is, could be lots of things, Altzheimers, dimentia, MS, shrinking of brain tissue in key areas, etc. or a combination of more than one, and the medics won't likely know for sure until it gets more advanced. I'm sure there's effects of aging mixed in there too. Last year, I may not have appeared too bad, kinda kept to myself a bit more, but there's going to be no hiding it at some point, might as well fess up now.

Along with all the mental stuff is some physical stuff, again, deterioration. My hormone levels are fluctuating, some too high and some too low. Diet has to be changed to avoid things like not enough potassium and too much calcium...... my bones are getting brittle, and will shortly start to crack or break at the slightest strain. Already have problems in my right thumb and forefinger, which has affected the ability to control the slightest gripping tasks, like turning a throttle on my bike. I even have trouble typing as my fingers seem to be stiffer than normal and the key I hit is not necessarily what ends up being on the screen. I have three bikes and it looks like they will all have to go at some point. Guess my dream of a GenIII is kinda out the window, very disappointing as I was looking forward to that one day.

It didn't help this was a depressing and brutal winter that is lasting too long for everybody, but I'm sure there is some effect of the winter blahs. But at this time of year, I'm normally out riding by now and this year I can't even get out the driveway for all the ice even if I could physically muster up the gumption. The doctors have a name for part of it (encephaliticlirpaloof syndrome) and see a much larger number of cases at this time of year, some affected very mildly so you don't really notice and others to a greater degree. Chances are you may not have caught it (yet).

So that's it in a nutshell.... you're going to see less and less of me as time goes on, I'll check in once in a while to see what's going on for as long as I can. I've given up on beating this thing simply because there is no cure in sight. I've been fortunate to have had a decent life, it's all been good, and I'm not looking for any sympathy. I've had a lot of fun, thanks for putting up with me...... I'll check in once in a while to see what's going on.

Brother Ray, You're in the Prayers of we Stanley Boys! You've always been so very kind to Seth and Chuy when we visit Canada each summer, breaks our hearts to read this mi Amigo! Anything Papa Chuy, Miss Donna and Son Seth can help you with from Zonieland, please let us know! [email protected]

PS: Since you're a Hoser, thought of April Fool's came to mind! Regardless, Stanley's think the World of You and wanted to let you know our true feelings eh!

Last edited by a moderator:
Sounds pretty dismal, being 73 I have a few issues of my own. Memory has not been as sharp since my 6 way by-pass years ago plus the aging stuff. Overall I still function pretty well and the riding keeps me positive. It is the pits when you see someone you know you know but the name sometimes does not pop up. Been a long drawn out depressing winter this year. My mantra is cherish the time and do the best you can with what you got.

Ray.... I too am at that age when things start to become more difficult...I think you need to enjoy each day and stay positive. Life is a journey and not a destination. My thoughts and prayers are with you.... And if it is any comfort, remember, you are not a Leaf's fan... Rich

Ray,

I sure hope to see you again...maybe at the SE Ohio Ramble.

FYYFF,

Joe

P.S. no info for "lirpaloof syndrome"...but as Don mentioned it is April 1st

W.T.F.F. ?!

I've got your syndrome right here, raYzerman :blink:

:thumbsup:

It is April Fools day but I read what Ray said to be from the heart. I noticed some strange or week of the body things with Ray up at CFR last year (like a bike over) and just some out-of-it characteristics that had me wondering. Well, if you've been to one of our meets/rally's, you also know how much alcohol is in the mix as well, and I kinda hoped (and chalked it up to) that was all it was.

I'm truly saddened and actually my heart stopped when reading Ray's statement. Ray is one of the good guys (and still is!). His humor is second to none, and I don't think this would be one of his attempts at it. I'm going to keep my faith and prayers directed towards him during this journey. I pray that life and enjoyment is extended well past any current envisions. And like Joe said, maybe we can all get together soon.

Keep the faith Ray-Ray, stay on your diet and follow your Dr's advice! ...and as Don Papa Chuy said; if you need anything from yur southern neighbor (NY tho) justa holla!

-KJ

It is April Fools day but I read what Ray said to be from the heart. I noticed some strange or week of the body things with Ray up at CFR last year (like a bike over) and just some out-of-it characteristics that had me wondering. Well, if you've been to one of our meets/rally's, you also know how much alcohol is in the mix as well, and I kinda hoped (and chalked it up to) that was all it was.
I'm truly saddened and actually my heart stopped when reading Ray's statement. Ray is one of the good guys (and still is!). His humor is second to none, and I don't think this would be one of his attempts at it. I'm going to keep my faith and prayers directed towards him during this journey. I pray that life and enjoyment is extended well past any current envisions. And like Joe said, maybe we can all get together soon.

Keep the faith Ray-Ray, stay on your diet and follow your Dr's advice! ...and as Don Papa Chuy said; if you need anything from yur southern neighbor (NY tho) justa holla!

-KJ
Ol' Ray and I have a couple of lotto tickets from last September. I just hope he doesn't croak before I get them checked. OTOH, if he forgets who I am.... and we've won............ :rolleyes:

Something saddens me reading Ray's post that he's not April Fooling.

Ray, one day at a time, yes?

This is one of the saddest post I've every read.

Hang in there Ray, the fight's not over yet.

I better post up before this gets too serious (or is that 'serial').........

beemerdons - Hope you feel like a brother.... but the proper thing to do is send me a bunch of fine Irish whiskey. Cure's all, I'm told (and sometimes by you). C'mon up any time and you too can be a Hoser, eh!

JamesW - Never fear getting old..... right on, cherish it all while you can, and don't grow up, much more fun being immature and teasing all your buddies!

Dr. Rich - Ya baby, Go Wings! (and anybody playing the Leafs).

ElToroJoe - Prolly good thing you ratted me out early....... unfortunately I have to miss the Ramble this year (see my comment about my friend Gary below)....... we'll catch up somewhere..... NAFO is in the cards.

MEM - With all that crap white stuff in the northeast this past week or so, I'm surprised you don't have multiple syndromes. Not fun when Freddy Beach's beach is totally obscured. Lottery - no $$, we are rich for knowing each other, and BTW, hubba hubba.

Johnd - You got it bro, happens every single year on this date.

magicmaker - Thanks, buddy, don't take it too seriously. Come help me drink beemerdons Irish whiskey......

TopSpeed - KJ, I'd invite you to share the whisky too, but I want some left for me.

Mr. Carver - Truth can be very elusive on April 1. I might be back to 'normal' tomorrow........ after my afternoon nap.

airboss - Crap, maybe I went too far...... just smile, bud, all is good.

However, it is a true story about my buddy Gary in WV. He posted up on another forum a lengthy update and mentioned he wanted to build a deck, but I suspect he is unable....... I'm trying to organize some mutual friend troopers to go down there and get it done so he can enjoy it while he can....... he's the nicest guy on the planet and got lots of friends, it'll happen.

beemerdons - Hope you feel like a brother.... but the proper thing to do is send me a bunch of fine Irish whiskey. Cure's all, I'm told (and sometimes by you). C'mon up any time and you too can be a Hoser, eh!
laugh.png
Got me!

Ray, that Irish rye will cause brain rot for sure (example - Beemer Don).

Best stick to a decent scotch. Only the Scots can bottle the water of life.

Ray.

I can't tell you how glad I am that this was an April 1 posting. I suspected that it might have been but it seemed to have a "ring" of truth to it (as all good April 1 stories should). My sympathies go out to your friend Gary.

JamesW - Never fear getting old..... right on, cherish it all while you can, and don't grow up, much more fun being immature and teasing all your buddies!

Dr. Rich - Ya baby, Go Wings! (and anybody playing the Leafs).

ElToroJoe - Prolly good thing you ratted me out early....... unfortunately I have to miss the Ramble this year (see my comment about my friend Gary below)....... we'll catch up somewhere..... NAFO is in the cards.

MEM - With all that crap white stuff in the northeast this past week or so, I'm surprised you don't have multiple syndromes. Not fun when Freddy Beach's beach is totally obscured. Lottery - no $$, we are rich for knowing each other, and BTW, hubba hubba.

Johnd - You got it bro, happens every single year on this date.

magicmaker - Thanks, buddy, don't take it too seriously. Come help me drink beemerdons Irish whiskey......

TopSpeed - KJ, I'd invite you to share the whisky too, but I want some left for me.

Mr. Carver - Truth can be very elusive on April 1. I might be back to 'normal' tomorrow........ after my afternoon nap.

airboss - Crap, maybe I went too far...... just smile, bud, all is good.

However, it is a true story about my buddy Gary in WV. He posted up on another forum a lengthy update and mentioned he wanted to build a deck, but I suspect he is unable....... I'm trying to organize some mutual friend troopers to go down there and get it done so he can enjoy it while he can....... he's the nicest guy on the planet and got lots of friends, it'll happen.
I'm hoping you were April fooling, but I heard some stuff from the heart. Maybe it's not bad and I'm hoping it isn't!

And hey, you can only do this on Dog Pile Friday "if" it also happens to land on Apr 1. ....I call a penalty shot coming!

As for your friend Gary.... I know of a couple of guys going over to visit him the second last weekend in May....You may them Dean and Ben