Tips For Safe Interstate Riding - 1st Road Trip

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Don't lose your patience. If you're stuck behind a couple of soccer moms in a cruise control war (left lane is .03 mph faster than right lane, both 10 mph slower than everybody else) or a truck trying to pass another truck, just hang back and wait your turn, even if it means letting impatient cagers through first. If you're up there in that shit some impatient cager is gonna tell the patrolman afterwards that he never saw the bike until it was too late.

All good input, above. One more small piece of advice to add.. Any time you are changing lanes, not only should you check your mirrors, but quick glance over the shoulder in the direction you are heading doesn't hurt either. (I have "war story" I can tell ya about this!!)

Have fun, but stay alert!! And have a great trip!! :yahoo:

Cheers!

As a 100,000 mile Interstate veteran I have only a couple of things that I would pass along. Number one, if you want to ride in the rain, leave your rain gear at home. Number two, as already stated, the tips from the IronButt Association (IBA) are the real deal, with ear plugs being high on that list.

One more thing.... I've actually had more close calls in traffic on surface streets than on the freeway.... People are a lot more impatient and do a lot of lane changes, IMHO, in stop and go traffic.

Ok, I lied, maybe it's two more things...

No matter how tempted I don't split lanes on the freeway unless traffic is stopped for an extended period of time (for an accident). Everybody seems to do it but why do I have to be in such a big hurry to get to work anyway...

Last edited by a moderator:
It is usually best to go about 5 mph above the flow of traffic unless that will get you into real ticket range.
Lot's of good advice so far. One thing I would like to mention on the above. I would agree to some extent to stay with the flow of traffic or a bit above, but when the azwipe in the hot rod car pulls up or even the maniac soccer mom driving the mini van at it's max rate let them be and stay out of theie way. There is a tendency in most humans to want to compete and just because you have the fastest machine in the area there is no need to prove it. Stay at your pace.

+1 on the Slime and a tire repair kit. This makes you the master of your domain for simple nails and punctures.
Where does one buy a "slime" type air pump? I'm not even sure I know what that is. I do have a 12V compressor that powered by a cigarette lighter adapter but it is just smaller than a shoe box. I could easily fit it in one of my saddle bags along with a can of fix-a-flat.
I just bought a Slime brand pump and "tools in handle" plug kit from Amazon.com . I believe they were about $40 for both. The slime pump is very small and would fit under your seat unless you have a cruise control in the way like I do.

I never ride behind ANYTHING that I can't see past
I always considered the right hand lane (in a multilane interstate) the most dangerous - someone will eventually cut you off as they try to take an exit from a lane to your left. Vehicles merging from on ramps always present dangerous situations.
Completely agree & would add I like 3-4 clear seconds ahead for my riding box & another rule of thumb I have is to watch 5 cars ahead as it allows predicting what might/will happen. Bright clothes & a tire plug kit. Use the power of the FJR for quick clean passes. Other vehicles in your zone are not your friend. Ride safe & have a great trip.

Last edited by a moderator:
stay the hell away from trucks (except to pass them).
& pass them as legally fast as possible. My rule of thumb is when pulling into the passing lane with a car in front of me also intent on passing, I wait until the car in front of me completely has the truck cleared before I begin my pass.

Instead of the compressor, you can purchase the Co2 cartridges with an inflator for about $20.

Much smaller than a compressor and 2-3 of them will get you down the road to the next gas station for an air top off.

Light rain gear may come in handy, fits nicely in your side box.

Hydrate.

Mark

I may be riding from the Atlanta, GA to the North Mississippi area along I-20. I've never been on the interstate on my bike but I have racked up just over 1300 miles on it and I've made this trip many times in my car. It is 250 miles one way. With that said, I want to be as safe as possible. I'd appreciate any safe riding tips from all of you interstate pros.
Thanks.

Earplugs

Drink LOTS of water, stay hydrated.

Wear something bright.

Watch as far ahead on the road as you can..... easier to slow down a few mph when you see an idiot ahead, they're very easy to spot.

Passing trucks, two things my truckers buddies say to do

1 stay back until you can see past the truck, then get the heck past them.

2. make sure you've got plenty of room BEFORE you pull back into their lane.... A small car can be totally hidden if it's too close to the front of the truck.

Also... if one or two trucks pull out in front of you to pass another truck, just hang back and let them go.

They've got a lot more HP but a lot more weight.

It also give you an excuse to umm..... excelerate!....<BG> past the trucks....

Have fun.

mary

I would say double check your route. I've seen on the news lots of floods and broken levees (sp?) around that part of the country...

Semis are going slower these days to save gas. This can have the side affect of causing more potential for accidents if they are going much more slower than the prevailing traffic.

Directionally straight 'drone zones', such as hiways are more likely to lull you into unawareness. Keep your alert level up by stopping frequently if need be.

Always give yourself an out on the road.

Stop at the Barber Motorcycle Museum outside of Birmingham on I-20. :yahoo:

Be safe, sane and have fun!

Scott

slo-ride, I'm gonna have to side with Spook on this one unless your under some kind of time constraints a good GPS an ipod loaded with your favorite tunes and great two lanes are always my choice for travel. If you do not have an ipod get yourself some ear plugs and try them out riding around running errands for your trip you'll be glad you did. By the way my FJR already had a GPS on it or I probably would have purchased one of the GPS/MP3 units. But what ever you do have fun and be safe.

I my cross-country trips I rig up a Camelback in the tank bag. It lets me hydrate, and provides a source of water to deal with the direct bug hits on my face shield.

slo-ride, I'm gonna have to side with Spook on this one unless your under some kind of time constraints a good GPS an ipod loaded with your favorite tunes and great two lanes are always my choice for travel.
Except for a few choice areas, Mississippi back roads ain't much fun and just waste your time with stoplights and Bubbas.

Earplugs? I guess to null the sound of the wind? But, doesn't that restrict your hearing in some way?
If you don't use them, you will definitely get restricted hearing, permanently.

I always wear plugs, even on short trips. And I seem to pick up the sounds of emergency vehicles and the like long before the cagers around me do.