Tire Pressure

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ScrapeApe

Reaction score
For something as important as tire pressure, why is it so difficult to check - especially the front? Is there an adapter or somethin? I've tried dial guages, short guages, standards, shorts, etc...if I can get one on the stem, I end up losing at least 2-3 psi. Any words of wisdom from the veterans??? Thanks. O, and potshots are welcome too (TWN & co.)

Potshots? Moi? Why, I never! I just usually crack a knuckle or three on the discs while airing. I keep forgetting about those nifty, bent stems.

+2 for the Ariete valve stems.

And then there is this little gem of an air gauge:

airgauge.gif

Clicky Here

Last edited by a moderator:
+3 on the Arietes....even though I couldn't quite get them installed last weekend. Trick on them is to remove the o-rings, put the o-rings in the rim hole, then put the stems on. Learned from Skoot and Rogue in the Utah 1088 parking lot.

Funny thing is that I'm probably going to have to change my rear tire a mere week after I installed it. Them's some miles.

+4 on the Arietes. Makes checking & filling the air a piece of cheese.

I bought tire pressure monitors from JC Whitney. You buy them by the pressure you want to maintain and they show green when the pressure is ok, red & green when there is a 10% difference, and red for greater than that. I will try to find a link and add it later. Works like a champ and I think they cost $9

The option I opted for.
Outstanding. Never saw those before, but they are on my short farkle list now!

Currently, I use a hose type tire guage with a clip on the end to "grab" the valve stem, then I bleed air to 1 pound above where I want the pressure; that way when I release it is where I want it. After multiple test tries this works pretty well for me.

airgauge.gif

Clicky Here
This is what I was trying to describe. I use a very similar guage. It helps alot.

Of course, you could always get a SmarTire system, and know what your tire pressure is at all times. I'm installing mine in the next week or so before I leave for Reno.

once you've got smartire and 90 degree valves you'll wonder why anyone else wouldn't.

derek

Installed a Smartire kit 3 weeks ago, works great, the only thing that I suggest is to install it somewhere else than the top of the dash, as show in the pamphlet.

The LCD display is very bright and reflect in the windshield at night.

I will try to incorporate it in the instrument display this winter.

I hooked the power ( 6 mA ) to the front left flasher.

Installed a Smartire kit 3 weeks ago, works great, the only thing that I suggest is to install it somewhere else than the top of the dash, as show in the pamphlet.
+ 1...

Once I started placing it around the bike, I figured out I didn't like it up there. I'm going to mount it on top of my front brake reservoir, kind of tucked underneath the V1 on the RAM arm...

Last edited by a moderator:

airgauge.gif

No offense to anyone, but I'm having a heck of a time trying to get

the above gauge to work right. That is the biggest pain in the

rear I've ever had the displeasure of using.

Trying to get it around the frigging rear brakes is near impossible!!

It has to be exactly perpendicular to the valve stem or it

loses the reading and goes back to zero-not only that, but I end up

burning my arm on the cans...this just inherently SUCKS...the clip on the

gauge doesn't stay on the valve stem...operator error or defective gauge?

Twenty minutes to put friggin' air in two friggin' tires? I am SO ticked off...

I have the Ariete 90 degree valve stems, but I don't have enough mileage

(or money) to warrant taking the tires off and having the 90 degree jobs put on.

If I'm missing the technique here, PLEASE help!

Jim

Once I started placing it around the bike, I figured out I didn't like it up there. I'm going to mount it on top of my front brake reservoir, kind of tucked underneath the V1 on the RAM arm...
Groo, how bout a pic when you're done?