Tire size

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Tire size, Is this correct for all brands
Yes.

But...

Some tire brands have a special version of tires for an ST or FJR or BMW. The typical tire P/N will have a letter after the tire type to indicate its application such as Metzler Z6 180/55ZR-17 "C".

What is the deal with the steel belted continental attack tire, if they have correct size any one try them?? :blink:

And we're off!
homer-eating-popcorn-c7873_sml.JPG

Hello,

It seems the local shop wants a 50% mark up on the tires, and they will not mount what was not purchsed from them. :angry2:

So I pose this question, I do not have a way to mount them, any one in the louisville, KY

Area have the means and desire to assist. :yahoo:

Now the dealer stated liability as most great over the internet prices are dated tires,

So from ;

sure they have dates.

The stradas have been in production now for about 2 years. The E model for about 7 months or so.

I have many requests for date searches which I dont do at my prices.

Any problem with purchasing a dated tire, break down milage etc.

Last edited by a moderator:
The dated tires response from your dealer is bullshit. He just wants to make more $$$$. This is fairly standard by the way, and is what got me learn how to do my own tires.

Nothing wrong with a dated tire either. Even so, every tire I have gotten from online vendors is within a few months old.

The dated tires response from your dealer is bullshit. He just wants to make more $$$$. This is fairly standard by the way, and is what got me learn how to do my own tires.
Nothing wrong with a dated tire either. Even so, every tire I have gotten from online vendors is within a few months old.
This came from south west moto tires

"sure they have dates.

The stradas have been in production now for about 2 years. The E model for about 7 months or so.

I have many requests for date searches which I dont do at my prices.

"

Now, I do not mind paying less over the net! Guess I will have to do the same so if anyony is will and able to assist that would be great.

Then i will buy my own set up and be able to help out the next person

Sorry. I wasn't clear.

Yes. ALL tires have a date code on them which show week and year of manufacture. What I meant, was that your dealer's assertion of liability due to online retailers selling "old" tires was complete bullpuckey. So far in my experience, online retailers provide current tires. Even so, getting a tire that is a year or more old is not a problem as long as it was not sitting out in the sun.

Guys,

In addition to the above-mentioned info on date codes,

(I was told that a date code DOES matter, btw, so I don't

know what to think) what is the difference between

the tires listed below?

Metzler Z4 180/55ZR17A

Metzler Z4 180/55ZR17(J)

Also, since I'm currently runninng Z4's on my '05, should

I think about moving up to a Z6 (on the rear), or would that

mess things up? I only have 1440 and change on the current

tires, but the rear needs to be replaced (imho) since I had a

finishing nail in it yesterday, so if I put the new Z6 on the rear,

I'd still have the Z4 on the front. Does it matter or not?

Thanks for any help.

Jim

Guys,
In addition to the above-mentioned info on date codes,

(I was told that a date code DOES matter, btw, so I don't

know what to think) what is the difference between

the tires listed below?

Metzler Z4 180/55ZR17A

Metzler Z4 180/55ZR17(J)

Also, since I'm currently runninng Z4's on my '05, should

I think about moving up to a Z6 (on the rear), or would that

mess things up? I only have 1440 and change on the current

tires, but the rear needs to be replaced (imho) since I had a

finishing nail in it yesterday, so if I put the new Z6 on the rear,

I'd still have the Z4 on the front. Does it matter or not?

Thanks for any help.

Jim

Well then, exactly how does the date code matter? Were you informed of why it so important? And who told you it was so important? Somebody trying to sell you a tire? More info please.

Don't know the difference between the two tires you list. You may be able to get that info from the Metz website. What I do know is that it is common for the tire manufacturers to have different variants of the same model tire for various applications. They differentiate between the different variants by adding different letters to the end of the sizing info like you show above. You need to find out which variant Metz would say is appropriate for the FJR.

But.......instead of getting the ME-Z4, I would go with the Z6. The Z6 is the replacement tire for the ME-Z4 which is supposedly is no longer being produced Since they designed for the same purpose, it will be just fine mixing and matching. Hell, many of us around here have mixed and matched tires between different manufacturers and everything works just fine.

But.......what I would really do is ditch those POS Metz and go for another brand of tire altogether. Of course this is all subjective and based on personal preference, but based on tons of positive feedback I would go with the Avon or Michelin Pilot Road.

Google is your friend...........

From the Metzeler website, if you go with the ME-Z4, they recommend the "J" variant. Though they primarily recommend the Z6 for the FJR now.

CLICKY HERE

Good Sir, I reckon ye not be jestin' 'bout date codes. Arrrr. Me tooks a ponderous voyage through the Sea of Google an' plundered this booty. Arrrrrr.
Avast, ye land lubbers an' peruse yer way abaft to 'bout midway or so! Arrrrrrr!

Well done you scurvy dog!

Yes, I knew there is a good reason for the date code, but my point above was that unless tires are really old (6 years is the time provided in the link above, the Metz website says 10 years), it really doesn't matter. So if you get a tire that is 1 year to 2 years old, as long as it hasn't been out in the sun, it's no big deal. Now, the tires I have received from online retailers have never been more than 6 months old anyways.

So what I am saying, is that in general, don't get all wrapped up in, nor don't let anybody lead you astray about date codes and thinking you need an extremely "fresh" tire. As long as it's not really old, relax......

Oh, and Pirate...........welcome to the madhouse!

Thanks everyone for the info on tires.

SkooterG, that was affirm on someone trying to sell me a tire.

I probably will get some Avons or Pilot Roads down the road

(no pun intended), but since I'm not working right now, I should

probably just stick to the one rear for now.

As far as the date code, someone I read (don't remember who)

said I should be concerned, but it doesn't sound like I have to

worry about it.

I think my SO would be significantly ticked if I went outside our

current budget (but we HAVE agreed on the new tire), so buying

two new tires probably wouldn't be prudent right now.

Thanks again one and all for taking the time to post.

As always, it's very much appreciated.

Jim