To change tires as a pair or not

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sliick2

Reaction score
Friends, a quick question from the brain trust. The front tire on my'06 FJR is in need of change.It is the original Bridgestone.The rear is a Bridgestone 021, in roughly 70% good shape(was replaced due to a large screw -no pun intended) .Is it preferred to keep the same brand on front & back ? I was hoping to change them as a pair ,but hate to change the back with so much tread left. I was going to go to the PR 2's. Not having a lot of experience with different brands,the discussions have pointed toward the Pilot Roads.I'm not really dis-satisfied with the Bridgestones.I've got over 10,000miles on the front one. I feel comfortable with the positive responses from the board members about the "Pilots".

Your opions would be helpful- Thanks so much, Sliick2

Ditch those bridgestone rim protectors and get the PR2's. Change em as a set (this time) and you'll never look back. The next time you wear out a single tire, you can either change the one, or the set as you see fit.

Ditch those bridgestone rim protectors and get the PR2's. Change em as a set (this time) and you'll never look back. The next time you wear out a single tire, you can either change the one, or the set as you see fit.
+1

now that I have standardized on PR2's, I change the rear twice for every one front

it's time to change them both

let's ride safe and be careful out there,

Mike in Nawlins'

Friends, a quick question from the brain trust. The front tire on my'06 FJR is in need of change.It is the original Bridgestone.The rear is a Bridgestone 021, in roughly 70% good shape(was replaced due to a large screw -no pun intended) .Is it preferred to keep the same brand on front & back ? I was hoping to change them as a pair, but hate to change the back with so much tread left.
And, you shoudn't -- I'd recco getting another 'Stone 021 mounted on the front and ride-em-out.

I'm not really dis-satisfied with the Bridgestones.I've got over 10,000miles on the front one.
Well, that's pretty amazing, I think -- it's a testimonial to what a kind & gentle person you must be? :)

I (and many others on this forum) am lucky to get 3K (good) miles on a stock (non-coded or FJR-coded) 021 F. I'm currently running a Kawi C-14-coded 021F -- it appears, so far, to be better (time will tell....)?

I think the 021 rear is a darned good (motorcycle) tire.

I was going to go to the PR 2's. Not having a lot of experience with different brands,the discussions have pointed toward the Pilot Roads. I feel comfortable with the positive responses from the board members about the "Pilots". Your opions would be helpful- Thanks so much, Sliick2
Certainly, when your 'Stones wear out you'll have ample opportunity (not nearly as ample as other FJR riders... ;) ) to chose from many brands.

You're welcome.

Last edited by a moderator:
I take no issues with changing tires on one end of the FJR and not the other. I also don't fret about changing tire brands/models at either end either. However, if I'm changing one end and the other is "close" to the wear bars I won't hesitate to trash it and change that one also. My experience is that the last 25% wears away at 2X the rate, roughly speaking!

"I take no issues with changing tires on one end of the FJR and not the other. I also don't fret about changing tire brands/models at either end either."

+1

I've never noticed any ill effects mixing tars either, but I must admit that after putting 2500 miles on a PR2 in the rear, I can't see any center flat spot wear, I'm impressed!

I think this depends on how big your wallet is. If you can afford to throw away a tire that has 70% tread life left, then do it, get a matching set of new tires and you'll be very happy with the results. If you're like me and hate to see good rubber go to waste, ride it out and just replace the front. I've run all sorts of weird tire combos since I use my old track day tires on my FJR. The handling isn't bad, but I'm sure it's just not as good as it could be if I put on a matching set of new tires. I'm willing to live with that.

I hated those 021 tires. When the front was shot ( I pushed it to get 5.5k) I got rid of both even though the rear had some life. I am happier with tires that are predictable.

Friends, a quick question from the brain trust. The front tire on my'06 FJR is in need of change.It is the original Bridgestone.The rear is a Bridgestone 021, in roughly 70% good shape(was replaced due to a large screw -no pun intended) .Is it preferred to keep the same brand on front & back ? I was hoping to change them as a pair ,but hate to change the back with so much tread left. I was going to go to the PR 2's. Not having a lot of experience with different brands,the discussions have pointed toward the Pilot Roads.I'm not really dis-satisfied with the Bridgestones.I've got over 10,000miles on the front one. I feel comfortable with the positive responses from the board members about the "Pilots". Your opions would be helpful- Thanks so much, Sliick2
WOW,, 10 K out of a BT021 ... My OEM BT021 was shot at 3500 miles... The BT021 rear was still in good shape..

I got a new set of PR2's ,,, put the front one on and the rear is sitting in the garage ready when needed..

I normally like to run the same tires front & back ,, but I've been running the PR2 front and the BT021 rear for about 3500 miles

and haven't noticed any problems...

Go check this out.

PR2's are quite a step up from the OEM POS. No need to change out both at the same time if you still have plenty of meat on the back. If you're independently wealthy, go ahead and get a full set of PR2's.

Cheers,

W2

I was in the same position recently. The front BT was trashed and the rr BT still had a lot of life left. My thin wallet dictated that I replace only the front with a new PR2. Handling is greatly improved, no problems at all.

Thanks so much for all your reply's. I was pretty sure that was the kind of suggestions that would come back. I ordered a new

front & I'll run that while saving for the new set of PR 2's & enjoy the rest of the summer with confidence.

Thanks again,Sliick2