For those who change tires at home?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks. I'm definitely interested in coming to your place to watch and help when you change your tires! I can always use a ride ;-)

Appreciate it.

Mike

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="pcarnut" data-cid="1251090" data-time="1439259281"><p>

I've had my NoMar about 5 years now and wish I'd bought one sooner. With five bikes in the stable now it's pretty much paid for itself. The hardest tires to mount so far have been the B'stones. They have a very stiff carcass and the last BT023 I mounted was an absolute bear to get on. Michelins and others have not really caused any issues. I just bought two sets of BT030s cause they were on sale, not looking forward to mounting the rear though. One of the biggest aids is giving yourself as much "slack" in the tire as possible by keeping the lower edge up in the groove that runs around the inside center of the rim. When I mount a stiff tire I stop every couple of inches and adjust the lower edge. Letting them sit in the sun for an hour ahead of time is also a good idea.<br />

<br />

I'm in Carlsbad, north of San Diego, if you want to come down next time I'm changing a tire, you are welcome to stop by. Might be a little while though, just refreshed the FJR with a PR4.</p></blockquote>

Harbor Freight machine here, used a couple of ratchet straps to hold wheel down and prevent rotation.bought a chunk of 3/4 cold rolled steel rod and had it threaded to screw down into the HF center for a pivot point as the HF center pipe is too large to go through the FJR wheel bearings.

Did Festar's Pirelli Angel GT rear slicker than greased owl shit using the crappy HF bar, a spoon and a few wood blocks

My Pirelli Angel GT came off pretty easy, the Darksider went on okay using dawn and water, the blocks, the HF bar and two spoons.

Interesting note, the young tech that did the Avon Installation on my bike last week over in Sturgis used a Nomad, it took him and two helpers to get the Darksider BFG off the rear wheel, I tipped him an extra $20.

Harbor Freight machine here, used a couple of ratchet straps to hold wheel down and prevent rotation.bought a chunk of 3/4 cold rolled steel rod and had it threaded to screw down into the HF center for a pivot point as the HF center pipe is too large to go through the FJR wheel bearings. Did Festar's Pirelli Angel GT rear slicker than greased owl shit using the crappy HF bar, a spoon and a few wood blocks My Pirelli Angel GT came off pretty easy, the Darksider went on okay using dawn and water, the blocks, the HF bar and two spoons. Interesting note, the young tech that did the Avon Installation on my bike last week over in Sturgis used a Nomad, it took him and two helpers to get the Darksider BFG off the rear wheel, I tipped him an extra $20.
John, do you recall the thread spec for that rod?

I too have a Cycle Hill Nomar tire changer. Wish I had purchased it years ago.

Between my sons FJR and my two bikes nd my wifes bike it has paid for itself already.

Hardest tire to change so far was a 190 rear on my sons FJR.

Never again

Scooper

Cycle Hill here! Definitely let the sun or warming the tire works best. Use the lube, lots of lube, my first few attempts I was being to cheap on the application of lube! The hardest tire I have changed was a friends GoldWing. I have also found using my clamps a great help in addition to the extra hand and yellow thing, when there is no help to be found.

IMG_0921_zps7hdz329y.jpg

I've been adding one extra step for a while that has helped immensely. I lube the face of the yellow thing [with NoMar paste] where it contacts the tire / bead. Doing this, allows you to push the tire / bead at the yellow thing further into the drop center easier for starting. This is especially critical for stiff tires like the 'stones. As you work your way around the tire, continue pushing the tire into the center and you end up with plenty of room to finish it off.
--G
+1

I have a NoMar JR. It works great even mounting the GT Bridgestones. Beside what --G says above, I learned to heat the tire using a Parabolic space heater I have laying around.

I used to struggle getting the tires on but no more. Mounting the Stones is easy! Heat lots of heat and those tires will pop on like a [insert our own quip here].

I use tire irons and a dirt bike wheel stand with some garden hose tywrapped around it for more cushion. https://www.amazon.com/Pit-Posse-Motorcycle-Changing-Portable/dp/B004MC43CI Some go on easy, some you have to wrestle. The more you do, the faster you get. Tube tires on a cruiser suck. The Michelin Pilot Powers I put on the Marchesini wheels (deep center) for my Duc almost put themselves on.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a different changer (Tire Stripper) but it is no longer sold. I find PR3s and 4s on the FJR easy. I too use the sun to warm the tires and in cold weather I set them outside in a black plastic trash bag. I use no spoons, just the bar that came with my changer. I bought this changer when I had my Gold Wing and it was the ONLY manual changer I found that would do the Wing's rear tire without spoons. I start rotating the mounting bar and when it gets hard I stop and work around the tire with my hands pushing the bead down and then continue with the bar and keep repeating the process. Sometimes I may only go 2 inches before I need to push the tire back down into the drop center of the rim. For the Wing I used to use straps around the rim and tire to pull the bead into the drop center of the rim but do not find that I need to do that with the FJR tires.

Cycle Hill here! Definitely let the sun or warming the tire works best. Use the lube, lots of lube, my first few attempts I was being to cheap on the application of lube! The hardest tire I have changed was a friends GoldWing. I have also found using my clamps a great help in addition to the extra hand and yellow thing, when there is no help to be found.
IMG_0921_zps7hdz329y.jpg
Thanks for the tips! I need to get me a few of these next time!!!