To Finish timalan's Question

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Keep in mind that there is quite a bit of "tolerance" in oil viscosity measurements and a bit of actual overlap between the different viscosity grades. Point is: take enough samples of 15W40 and measure it for viscosity at 0 degrees F and some of the samples will measure in the range acceptable for 20W. Similarily, measure a bunch of 20W oils at 0 F and some of them will be in the range of acceptability for 15W. I cannot imagine any real performance difference in the oil between a 15W- and a 20W- that anyone would attempt to void a warranty for. The only difference that might be measured is cold cranking speed if you were routinely starting your FJR after parking outside at night at 0 degrees F.... Just my opinion.
Ah, balance has been restored to our universe, mostly....

Out of Zion shall come forth a lawAnd the word of the Lord from Jerusalem

Nation shall not raise sword against nation

And they shall not learn war anymore

For the mouth of the Lord hath spoken"

Waiting, for your modern messiah

To take away all the hatred

That darkens the light in your eye

I'm still waiting...
Oooohhhmmmm, Oooohhhmmmm, Oooohhhmmmm....

Last edited by a moderator:
Keep in mind that there is quite a bit of "tolerance" in oil viscosity measurements and a bit of actual overlap between the different viscosity grades. Point is: take enough samples of 15W40 and measure it for viscosity at 0 degrees F and some of the samples will measure in the range acceptable for 20W. Similarily, measure a bunch of 20W oils at 0 F and some of them will be in the range of acceptability for 15W. I cannot imagine any real performance difference in the oil between a 15W- and a 20W- that anyone would attempt to void a warranty for. The only difference that might be measured is cold cranking speed if you were routinely starting your FJR after parking outside at night at 0 degrees F.... Just my opinion.
Ah, balance has been restored to our universe, mostly....

Out of Zion shall come forth a lawAnd the word of the Lord from Jerusalem

Nation shall not raise sword against nation

And they shall not learn war anymore

For the mouth of the Lord hath spoken"

Waiting, for your modern messiah

To take away all the hatred

That darkens the light in your eye

I'm still waiting...
Oooohhhmmmm, Oooohhhmmmm, Oooohhhmmmm....
What's this? A hijack by a candy striper?

:bleh:

Back in college at the beginning of a physics lab I was taking, I observed Dr. Onley, a pure egg head noted for his work in computer design and his teaching assistant in a heated argument over the wave length of the laser we were going to use in the experiment of the day. After about ten minutes or so of this wondrous academic discourse, I saw the laser had a tag on it with the wavelength printed on it for the world to see. What does that have to do with this discussion??? On this and several other threads I keep seeing the question of warranty come up over and over. CALL YAMAHA CUSTOMER SERVICE!!!. I did, and they will tell you 10W40, 15W50, et al, WILL NOT void the warranty. I've got the date I called and the name of the guy I talked to. Plus they logged the call to the VIN of my bike. So keep on debating whether or not the sun comes up in the east, it's just another total waste of bandwidth like just about everything associated with these oil threads.

Back in college at the beginning of a physics lab I was taking, I observed Dr. Onley, a pure egg head noted for his work in computer design and his teaching assistant in a heated argument over the wave length of the laser we were going to use in the experiment of the day. After about ten minutes or so of this wondrous academic discourse, I saw the laser had a tag on it with the wavelength printed on it for the world to see. What does that have to do with this discussion??? On this and several other threads I keep seeing the question of warranty come up over and over. CALL YAMAHA CUSTOMER SERVICE!!!. I did, and they will tell you 10W40, 15W50, et al, WILL NOT void the warranty. I've got the date I called and the name of the guy I talked to. Plus they logged the call to the VIN of my bike. So keep on debating whether or not the sun comes up in the east, it's just another total waste of bandwidth like just about everything associated with these oil threads.

Pffffft! Well, where's the fun in that? We'd much rather go to fisticuffs than dial a phone. Pussy.

:grin:

all they had at the yami stealer when i was there was 20/50 in yamalube no 20/40 anymore the parts guy told me

Status
Not open for further replies.