Told off my first cager yesterday

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Toecutter

What would DoG do?
Reaction score
I'm rolling through a parking lot, approaching my bank. Where another "street" tees into the "street" I'm on, this fool in a pickup just rolls right out in front of me, totally tunneled in on the parking spot he was after. I turned left onto the "street" he had just turned right out of and parked close by, to walk to the ATM. I figured he might be using the ATM, so I'd have a little face-to-face with him there. Still cooling down, I discover he went into the bank and was already at the counter, so I decided not to walk in there with a helmet on, much less to make a scene.

I did my ATM transaction and mounted the bike. As I was leaving, I noticed he was backing out now and another car was waiting for his spot. I shot around the other car and the front of his pickup, stopping right next to his open window. Surprise- he's on a cell phone already...

"IS THIS THE FIRST TIME YOU'VE SEEN ME TODAY"

"Oh, hay, how's it going", like he recognized me as a friend or something.

"YOU PULLED OUT IN FRONT OF ME RIGHT OVER THERE"

"Oh, hay, sorry about that, buddy"

"SORRY AIN'T GONNA CUT IT WHEN YOU KILL SOMEBODY"

He repeats the earlier sorry comment. I ride off.

Maybe the person on the other end of the phone got the message, 'cause I'm pretty sure that clown stayed clueless. But, like I said, it felt pretty good. I left with a rush of endorphins that helped me later develop a new drill to practice on my future rides and hopefully sharpen my skilz. I'll post about it in the next couple of days....

You should have reached in the car, took the keys out and threw them in a field or something....maybe it would slow him down.

Good for you!

I have a recurring fantasy that runs through my head every time some dumb ass pulls a stunt like that to me.

I walk up to their vehicle never say a word reach in take the keys out of the ignition and throw them as far as I can and quietly walk away never saying one thing.

Of course it would be a real good way to get shot as well.

-EDIT- well shit lambo beat me to it. I guess im not alone with this fantasy.

Last edited by a moderator:
Shoot, Toe, that's nothing. Yesterday I'm pulling out of the fire station parking lot with top lights on heading for a call on the interstate. Car approaching from the right so I slowed (and then stopped) to see what she (yeah, it was a she) was going to do. She blithered on through, blathering on her cell phone and then just plodded along in front of me until I could turn off on the interstate entrance. Had no idea I was there. Damn cell phones.

Turned out well Toe, that's good. I understand your frustration/anger. Just be cautious as we know how Cali cagers are prone to get violent.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm rolling through a parking lot, approaching my bank. Where another "street" tees into the "street" I'm on, this fool in a pickup just rolls right out in front of me, totally tunneled in on the parking spot he was after. I turned left onto the "street" he had just turned right out of and parked close by, to walk to the ATM. I figured he might be using the ATM, so I'd have a little face-to-face with him there. Still cooling down, I discover he went into the bank and was already at the counter, so I decided not to walk in there with a helmet on, much less to make a scene.
I did my ATM transaction and mounted the bike. As I was leaving, I noticed he was backing out now and another car was waiting for his spot. I shot around the other car and the front of his pickup, stopping right next to his open window. Surprise- he's on a cell phone already...

"IS THIS THE FIRST TIME YOU'VE SEEN ME TODAY"

"Oh, hay, how's it going", like he recognized me as a friend or something.

"YOU PULLED OUT IN FRONT OF ME RIGHT OVER THERE"

"Oh, hay, sorry about that, buddy"

"SORRY AIN'T GONNA CUT IT WHEN YOU KILL SOMEBODY"

He repeats the earlier sorry comment. I ride off.

Maybe the person on the other end of the phone got the message, 'cause I'm pretty sure that clown stayed clueless. But, like I said, it felt pretty good. I left with a rush of endorphins that helped me later develop a new drill to practice on my future rides and hopefully sharpen my skilz. I'll post about it in the next couple of days....
Wow, you must have great patience and control to have waited this long to let one of the assholes out there have it. I do it every chance I get. Unfortunately I have had many chances. Fortunately none of the instances have resulted in any damage or injury. It just means there are a lot of idiot cagers out there! And cell phones are a major contributor.

I tell you we got to make talking on the cell phone and driving at the same time illegal, period.
I strongly suggested that a few years ago on several forums, along with a petition. You would have thought I was suggesting they let OJ out ...again. I took a LOT of fire for that, but it's a funny thing we've all seen close calls, or been the victim of them, from that young female driver in her mini-van gabbing away while she wanders from lane to lane completely oblivious of anything going on around her. It's a huge problem, and now the younger drivers are all texting. I've even seen young motorcycle riders texting while riding their bikes. What a combination!

-R

I tell you we got to make talking on the cell phone and driving at the same time illegal, period.
I strongly suggested that a few years ago on several forums, along with a petition. You would have thought I was suggesting they let OJ out ...again. I took a LOT of fire for that, but it's a funny thing we've all seen close calls, or been the victim of them, from that young female driver in her mini-van gabbing away while she wanders from lane to lane completely oblivious of anything going on around her. It's a huge problem, and now the younger drivers are all texting. I've even seen young motorcycle riders texting while riding their bikes. What a combination!

-R
Very close to my nightmare of a 16 year old pulling out in front of me while taking on the cell phone......of course she's driving a huge SUV that I have no chance of going over when the bike runs into her! And of course, she never even saw me!

Nowadays, it's the young girls driving up behind me putting on make-up and talking on the cell phone that scare the hell out of me. Every now and then you catch that guy on the freeway with his morning newspaper stretched across his steering wheel reading as he moves along at 75mph without a care in the world.

I don't know, watching for people pulling out in front of us has always been something I've watched out for. Being run over from behind is my biggest worry. I don't understand why Arizona hasn't allowed lane splitting like California.

That's your first? You haven't been riding long.........at least on public pavement.

One thing I'm confident of; if you continue to ride public roads, it won't be your last such experience. It just gets worse every year. The ONLY way I know to improve the situation is to make EVERY license driver take a M/C safety course. Maybe some of the more inept would kill themselves during the Riding portion. :glare:

That's your first? You haven't been riding long.........at least on public pavement.
Well, I guess that'd be a relative term, but I've been riding for 4-1/2 years and a bit over 50,000 miles, pretty much all on public pavement. Been plenty of serenity mantras, TWN salutes, horn blasts, head shaking, face-palming, etc...

Turned out well Toe, that's good. I understand your frustration/anger. Just be cautious as we know how Cali cagers are prone to get violent.
...but this time it happened right before we both parked, leveling the playing field, and ultimately with me surprising him at his door, facing the opposite direction of his travel, with the bike running in gear and a clear view of both his hands. Perfect opportunity to really make an example with a safe escape route!