Tools on the FJR: What additional ones do you carry?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I carry a bunch of tools. I ride three very different bikes and my wife rides two different models. I got tired of restructuring my tool kit for each different combination of bikes. Besides , you never when someone may come along that knows how to use them.

Keep an FJR serviced and she/he will service you well. I carry a few fuses, the stock tool kit, adapter for front axle removal, electric tire pump and tire plugs. Of course that is the same shit I carried on my Vstrom.

I include 2 x 36" long leads with alligator clips on the ends for temporary repair / troubleshooting.

What I carry for tools is dependent on where I'm riding, how long I'm going to be gone and who I'm riding with.

If you are riding with a group like NERDS, with the tools we carry I have seen tires fixed, wrecked FJRs rebuilt, brakes unstuck and all manor of repairs and tweaks. Charlie Hoss and I have pulled a wrecked sport bike from a ravine, patched it up and sent the guy on his 120 mile trip home with the tools and mending materials we had with us.

If I'm riding in populated places I balance tools against what repairs I would do beside the road vs the cell phone with the number of a tow company. I have ridden in places in the west where you really need to be self dependent for most repairs because it could be days before someone would come along. It gets even more dicey when it isn't your FJR you are riding and you don't know the maintenance or condition of the bike. South of Tucson, about 10 miles from the Mexican border:

1Sm_zpsd94c6d67.jpg

With the condition of my FJR it won't take many tools or patch kits to get going again from common problems, if something were to fail it would probably be beyond what I could fix beside the road. I do carry tools beyond the tool kit that would make wheel removal easier. I also carry a small DMM that I have used on other people's motorcycles but haven't had the need on mine.

In the end a properly maintained FJR is quite reliable, with few weaknesses that would need a field fix other than tires and failed farkles.

Cell phone, AAA Card, Credit Card, emergency cash, Tire plug kit with CO2 Cartridges

...Tire plug kit with CO2 Cartridges
Have you ever tried that? Spend some big bucks ($15), pick up some extra cartridges and try it from the comfort of your garage to find out how it works for ya, and how many cartridges you need for an effective fill.

Have you ever tried that? Spend some big bucks ($15), pick up some extra cartridges and try it from the comfort of your garage to find out how it works for ya, and how many cartridges you need for an effective fill.
Yes I've used it before without issues. And two of the large cartridges is more than enough to fill the rear tire enough to get me to civilization.

I also carry a small DMM . . .
A DMM? After doing a quick google search, I think you are refering to a digital multi-meter, but I would appreciate if you would clarify.
Yes, a digital multi-meter. I have a little meter I bought from Harbor Freight almost 10 years ago expecting it to last only a year or two but it is still in good working order even after 100k miles of traveling. I took this meter in to work and tested it in the electronic lab and found it to be remarkably accurate for all the functions that would be used for automotive work. It is on sale at Harbor Freight this week for <$6!!!!

I have used this meter to find a bad TPS before they were known to have problems as well as other electrical issues. I simply strap the meter to the bike, run the leads to the item being diagnosed and drive away and take readings as I drive.

At $6 it is essentially disposable should something go wrong. I would suggest this more expensive meter with the back light over the less expensive $4 meter without the back light. The back light will let you read the meter display in low light or dark conditions. If you are using the meter at night beside the road it probably means that the motorcycle lights are not working
wink.png

image_23328.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes I've used it before without issues. And two of the large cartridges is more than enough to fill the rear tire enough to get me to civilization.
Good for you! I found it took 4-5 cartridges on my rear tire to get enough pressure so as to not be drastically under inflated. With the kit I have the front tire is a significant PITA.

Yep! What Wlfman said^^^^. I use the small ones. Three of them in the rear tire will be plenty to get you to the nearest gas station to top it off. It has never happened to me (knock on wood) but, I'm the guy who saves my buddy's butts all the time. For the rest of the ride, the beers are payed for. :))

I carry a plug kit with co2 cartridges, but have never used it. I also carry sticky strings and a bicycle pump, which I have used. That pump takes a long time and a lot of pumps to get the tire up to where I can ride it to the gas station. I have seen people use a small electric pump, like the SLIME pump and it works well but can drain your battery if you run it for very long without the engine running. Those little pumps, with the cases removed, take up very little space and I keep planning to get one. Of course it requires that you wire a plug for it. The jack inside the glove box will not power an air pump.

Take a look at this air pump . Small enough to fit under the FJR seat and with a built-in reliable pressure gauge. I just ordered one based on rave reviews from folks that have seen this in the flesh at the NYC motorcycle show. I'll give some feedback once I've received it and tried it. The key here is the inflation of the rear tire from 0 to 42 psi and how long it take and if the pump can handle the volume.

motopumps_inflator_hose.jpg

You mentioned a ways back you always travel with company, when I travel on longer trips with company my co-rider and I split essentials, like one air pump etc. Saves a lot of room packing.

You mentioned a ways back you always travel with company, when I travel on longer trips with company my co-rider and I split essentials, like one air pump etc. Saves a lot of room packing.
When traveling with my wife, she gets the bulky items (tent, sleeping bags, cooler--lots of room on the Spyder), and I get the small items.

I include 2 x 36" long leads with alligator clips on the ends for temporary repair / troubleshooting.
Chuck, you must have owned a Harley or Buell [just went back and looked and I see the Buell] in the past.

Having owned both back in the day, that was a required tool. I ride with a friend that's still riding a 26 year old Harley and that's part of his tool kit. We have used it on his Harley 2 or 3 few times.