• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to FJRForum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

Top quality HID kits for the FJR

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I guess, as Todd said it really depends on the specific manufacturer (which I agree is pretty messed up). So the only decision that remains, within the different bulbs from a specific manufacturer (in this case Phillips), based on Todd's test pictures it looks like the 5000K actually produces the most usable light :huh:

I guess, as Todd said it really depends on the specific manufacturer (which I agree is pretty messed up). So the only decision that remains, within the different bulbs from a specific manufacturer (in this case Phillips), based on Todd's test pictures it looks like the 5000K actually produces the most usable light :huh:
There may be some truth to what you say, however............(there's always that 'however')

So far, I am inclined to believe that Todd's Philips supplier is the only one that is screwy. If you go to the first thread I linked to, there are two different aux lights in the 4300K color range that are white with no hint of blue - Solteks, and Philips HID. (Same Philips? Who knows?)

Wait! Thought, I remembered another screwy post, and sure enough - carlson_mn's post of different vendors, and the 4300K looks more blue than the 5000K. Which is NOT supposed be! This is all fuked up!

Clicky, Clicky.

One thing I can say with great certainty is that there is wide variation among suppliers. Prior to selecting these Philips bulbs, we ordered samples from dozens of places in a varity of color temps. Call it X, Y, or Z temp, whatever these truely map to on the spectrum, they represented the best light we found at what they call 5000K.

Prior to offering these here, we supplied a bunch to the BMW crowd (still do) and they are also a particular group. There was similar concern there until a few people tried them. Now we can't give the 4300K away over there which was one of the reasons we didn't have any this round.

Still, you have to go with what works for you.

Wait, I know, let's call these so called 5000Ks 4300K instead then ;-)

I bough a set of these light and got around to installation this past weekend. The whole setup is very well made and easy straight forward install. I had just low beam HID's with my Hella FF200 working on the high beam switch. now I have low beam, high beam, and killer high with FF200's.

I finally got a chance to install Todd's excellent Top Quality HID Kit.

Firstly I just want to reiterate that this is a really nice kit, it is small, appears to be good quality and the shortened HV wires are a real blessing when installing on a bike. The HI/LO switching works really well.

Based on my experience with the Kit and Todd's customer service, I have no hesitation in recommending this Kit to anyone looking to upgrade to HID lighting - Thanks Todd.

There have been numerous discussions/opinions on the bulb color temperatures, and I tend to agree with SkooterG that the standards in this industry still leave a lot to be desired. In fact the bulb color ratings in HID bulbs remind me of Fork oil weights :)

Based on the findings and pictures ScooterG and Todd have previously posted I could not decide which color temp bulb would work/seem best so I ordered two sets of bulbs, 1x4300K and 1x5000K with the intention of putting them in side-by-side and letting my own eyes make the conclusion, without any possible camera distortions/effects.

Much to my surprise I for one, can't really tell the difference b/w the two color temps in these bulbs. In the pictures below one headlight is running the 4300K bulb and one is running the 5000K bulb at least according to the distinct labels on each bulb's wires. The "real-life" output from these bulbs looks really nice and natural white, with no "blue" at least as it appears to me in person. All the photos were taken without a flash so as to minimize any color distortion. So from my experience here I think you're pretty safe ordering the 5000K bulbs, especially if as Todd said in the past this color temp is going to be the new standard for HID lighting.

I am intentionally not saying here which Headlight has the 4300K and which is running the 5000K bulb. I think it would be more productive to let folks take a close look at the pics to see if they really can tell before they know the answer. I will include a link to the picture identifying which one is which below just for reference.

Pics taken in the garage with ambient lighting, sometime I have more than 1 pic to make sure the camera angle, etc does not present an incorrect color light.

IMG00171-20100413-1927.jpg

IMG00172-20100413-1928.jpg

IMG00173-20100413-1928.jpg

IMG00175-20100413-1929.jpg

IMG00179-20100413-1930.jpg

IMG00181-20100413-1931.jpg

IMG00183-20100413-1931.jpg

IMG00184-20100413-1931.jpg

The only two comments I might make about the kit are:

- I am not overly impressed with the fuse holder and will replace it with a more water resistant one

vs. something like this:

- It might be a good idea to mark/label the wires for any inattentive would be installers since the two plugs on the Balasts/Ignitors will actually "mate" and someone not paying attention could plug the +ve plug into the -ve plug instead of the recipient plugs on the bulb. I know that's a pretty dumb thing to do, but hey, as one joke I've heard says they print warning labels on tubes Preparation-H cream to make sure people don't put it on their lips :dribble:

These pics were taken on a dark street absent of any street lighting:

IMG00190-20100413-2124.jpg

IMG00191-20100413-2124.jpg

With the SOLTEKs on as well, obviously the SOLTEK Fuego, HID Driving (4300K) are just so bright that they make pretty much anything else look yellower.

IMG00193-20100413-2125.jpg

LO Beam

IMG00200-20100413-2127.jpg

HI Beam

IMG00199-20100413-2127.jpg

HI Beam with the SOLTEKs (up to now i've had them adjusted to about mid way b/w HI & LO, but with the HIDs i'll be able to point them out further now)

IMG00202-20100413-2128.jpg

IMG00203-20100413-2128.jpg

IMG00205-20100413-2129.jpg

IMG00206-20100413-2129.jpg

IMG00207-20100413-2129.jpg

As promised, this link will show you which Headlight is running which color temperature bulb.

https://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b87/klau...-1909-Bulbs.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Something weird going on, you're right - there isn't much of a difference.

But I did guess correctly.

Weird that to me, there is not a huge difference in perceived Soltek color and HID kit color. Difference in my 5000k kit and both PHID and Soltek color was significant. I still really don't know what to think, but more and more it seems my 5000k kit is more likely closer to 6000k.

Weird that to me, there is not a huge difference in perceived Soltek color and HID kit color. Difference in my 5000k kit and both PHID and Soltek color was significant. I still really don't know what to think, but more and more it seems my 5000k kit is more likely closer to 6000k.
SkooterG - Did you get a chance to try the 4300K we sent?

JamesK - I agree it might be better to have the covered fuse holder depending on your installation. I didn't use the fuse (having a fuzeblock) so didn't think about that. I'll see if those can be changed out.

SkooterG - Did you get a chance to try the 4300K we sent?

JamesK - I agree it might be better to have the covered fuse holder depending on your installation. I didn't use the fuse (having a fuzeblock) so didn't think about that. I'll see if those can be changed out.
Just fyi, I got mine from EasternBeaver, the quality is great, they are small and at $2.49 ea the price is very good.

Finally got around to installing mine today, and all I can say is that if you have not done so, pull the trigger. Probably more important than a loud set of horns. Noticed a bit more "leeway" when taking a drive this evening....cagers do notice these.

No need to spook the neighbors by taking pictures of my new lights, the other pics tell the story well. Light output is easily double the expensive halogen aftermarket stuff.

Great stuff...Thanks Todd!

Finally got around to installing mine today, and all I can say is that if you have not done so, pull the trigger. Probably more important than a loud set of horns. Noticed a bit more "leeway" when taking a drive this evening....cagers do notice these.
No need to spook the neighbors by taking pictures of my new lights, the other pics tell the story well. Light output is easily double the expensive halogen aftermarket stuff.

Great stuff...Thanks Todd!
Glad to hear it!

I think I've answered all PMs and all paid orders should be in the hands of their new owners.

I've been traveling way too much for work. Sucks. Seriously, a 2 hour meeting in Taipei? Really? Blah.

There is a lot of difference in the light output color between a 4200K and 5000K bulb - the ballast is not supposed to make any difference, which implies a lack of quality control or simple fraud on the part of te bulb manufacturer. 4200K is definitely yellow-ish compared with 5000K and the difference should be obvious, even to a digital camera.

What you ought to have is a 4200K for best visibility. Even then they will appear to be somewhat blue-ish when compared to a Halogen bulb, which tend to run in the 3400k range.

I'm sticking with incandescent lighting so that my modulator can be used.

Sorry for going dark there for a bit. I was out of internet/phone contact for nearly a week (wonderful!).