Total Control Advanced Course San Mateo, CA 5/8/10

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Aw, what the hell. I just registered. See you on May 8th, Ryan. Or before. :D :D :D
Soooo, Mikey.

Did you go? How'd you like it?

Went last year (with Tyler instead of JB :yahoo: ) and it was very interesting, in many ways.

Well, since you ASKED. . . It's a good course, Lee Parks is a very dynamic and entertaining instructor in the classroom, which makes it fun while you're learning. I definitely began to learn some new techniques for cornering and they're the kinds of things that you continue to refine as you ride. Like Streetmasters a year or so ago, you get "some" benefit immediately, but the main benefit is the knowledge of how to recognize when you're doing it right or when you're not. And once you know, you can make those adjustments to get to where doing it right comes easier and more naturally as you keep riding. You get the feel for it. I find myself hanging off MUCH more than ever before and I like the difference in how it feels. A secondary benefit was in choosing your line through a corner; good stuff, but not new to me after Streetmasters.

Here's Ryan getting the "feel" of proper leaning technique.

IMG_0489.jpg

So I do believe it worked for me, and continues to work for me. Took the course with Ryan and Walt (Flying Junior) and I think we all had similar impressions. A pretty fun day and for the most part, useful too. In general, I think it's a great idea to do some kind of class like this at least every year or so, just as golfers and skiers continue to refine their technique with lessons even after years of playing, but with much more on the line.