Tourmaster jacket

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Tourmaster as well as every online company I've seen claims the Transitions 3 is WATERPROOF in their advertising. That's what I read & that's what I expected when I bought these. Had I known the truth, I'd have bought Frogg Toggs & worn it over my favorite denim jacket, which is what I'm leaning towards now. I wrote Frogg Toggs this morning & I now have it in writing from them that any of their Toadz series jackets are WATERPROOF & would be appropriate for riding a bike in the rain.
You do realize that the material and seams may be waterproof, but that most motorcyclists get wet because of the two small holes, a big hole, and a giant hole in the jacket that aren't waterproof? This is true for tourmaster, Frogg Toggs, and every other motorcycle jacket out there.
Many motorcyclists think incorrectly that a jacket material is leaking when, in fact, water is getting in at the wrists because of glove coverage, down the neck depending on how you scrunch with a helmet on in a continued rain, or by the belly usually because of something not secured correctly.

My definition of waterproof is more like that of a DUI dry suit and KNOW these things are the only clothing that are truly "waterproof" because of the seals.
Ignacio, my Transitions 3 leaked out on the shoulders, possibly through the shoulder vents, which were properly done up (I checked as soon as I got home). There wasn't any leaking around the wrist area as my gauntlet rain gloves worked as they should have. There was also dampness at the right elbow. Fortunately it was a very warm day & the VERY bright & very close flashes from lightening was keeping my mind off the water leaking in! This was not unusual weather for the BC Okanagan in June. The rest of the summer through until October is usually hot & dry. The more this discussion continues the more I like the idea of going back to my favourite denim jacket with something truely waterproof in the saddlebag.

Thanks all, for the input! I hope over the next while I get to meet more of you at various rallies & rides!

I've had my Epic 3/4 Hi Vis for a year now and can highly recommend it, if it's still made.

About the best textile jacket I've owned, just have to make sure all the vents are done up.

Tourmaster as well as every online company I've seen claims the Transitions 3 is WATERPROOF in their advertising. That's what I read & that's what I expected when I bought these. Had I known the truth, I'd have bought Frogg Toggs & worn it over my favorite denim jacket, which is what I'm leaning towards now. I wrote Frogg Toggs this morning & I now have it in writing from them that any of their Toadz series jackets are WATERPROOF & would be appropriate for riding a bike in the rain.
You do realize that the material and seams may be waterproof, but that most motorcyclists get wet because of the two small holes, a big hole, and a giant hole in the jacket that aren't waterproof? This is true for tourmaster, Frogg Toggs, and every other motorcycle jacket out there.

Many motorcyclists think incorrectly that a jacket material is leaking when, in fact, water is getting in at the wrists because of glove coverage, down the neck depending on how you scrunch with a helmet on in a continued rain, or by the belly usually because of something not secured correctly.

My definition of waterproof is more like that of a DUI dry suit and KNOW these things are the only clothing that are truly "waterproof" because of the seals.
I, too, carry Frogg Toggs "just in case", though here in SoCal I rarely use them.

I took the F.T. Jacket along last summer for a European trip that included pedaling a tandem bicycle along the Danube, through four countries. There were only a couple days when I put it on in the morning because it was cool and the skies were threatening.

Within an hour I was SOAKED - inside the jacket.

And it hadn't rained!

As mentioned above, F.T.s, like many other "rain garments", will leak through those four holes.

But F.T.s don't breathe. They keep wind and rain OUT, and they keep perspiration IN.

Well, having slept on it a couple nights, I decided on a solution. Rather spend more money on more gear to cram into my bags, I'll go with what's already there... motels! A nice motel with a hot shower is a perfect place to wait out nasty weather! I'm never in a hurry anymore, no deadlines or schedules for retired old farts! Don't know why I didn't see that one long ago! Thanks again for the input folks!

Transition 3 in Hi-Vis here and I have had no problem in light rain, but got a wet stomach in a heavy downpour. I suspect that I had the jacket bunched up wrong.

I also rode quite a bit in winter weather this year using the jacket with the liner, a sweatshirt, and a t-shirt. With several rides over 2 hours in duration in temps below freezing my upper body stayed warm.

For the money I'm quite happy with the jacket. The only downside has been that the loops for securing the liner sleeves are weak and broke quickly.

Thanks for the reply Kirk. I too have ridden in cold weather & am very satisfied with this jacket for that use. I guess what really pisses me off is that Tourmaster advertises this as a waterproof jacket. Obviously their definition of "waterproof" differs from mine. Other than the leaking in wet weather, I too am satisfied with it, but here in BC, waterPROOF is an important quality at times.

Road Toadz ordered. It really burns my ass to buy a rain jacket to protect my "waterproof" Tourmaster jacket, but I plan to ride a lot this summer & that means riding in the rain. Won't ever be buying stuff from Tourmaster again.