Track Day

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sparky3008

Finally got my collarbone fixed!!!
Reaction score
This was my second track day at Summit point WV on the Jefferson. I did their free two sessions a few weeks ago and wanted to go again. Getting up and making tech in by 7:30am and making sure you have all your gear, keys, water, gatorade, food (opps forgot that) takes organization, lucky for me another rider had lots of peanut butter and jelly so I was taken care of.

The day started out really nice but before noon it was in the high 90's and humid. I drank about 12 bottles of water, 3 red bulls, 3 gatorades, a few yogarts.

Many of you know I sold my fjr for the gsxr1000 but this is my 06 cbr600rr.

I found another rider (a girl on a buell 900) that was keeping a good pace that i was comfortable with and I rode with her most of the day. There were times I could have passed but I hate leading so the trade-off was good.

I felt much better this second track day than the first and even passed a rider, yea hard to believe someone is slower than me :rolleyes:

I learned the hard way riding dirt that when I start getting tired to stop, don't push it. My legs started to feel like lead weights and I was thinking more about the effort to move on the bike than what I was doing so I called it the day about 2:30pm

_JER7587.jpg

Sounds like a blast. Now, show up and post more often. You're still family, ya know.

Sounds like a blast. Now, show up and post more often. You're still family, ya know.
It is definitely a blast. The first time out I was pretty nervous about not having any mirrors and what to expect from other riders. Key is to not make any sudden changes that those behind wouldn't expect. I try to keep my same lines every lap so if someone finds a way around me they can take it the next time. I am not racing anyone so the straights are not a place that I try drag racing anyone. I am at the track to try and have fun on the turns...

This track day the 3rd session someone did go off the track in turn 1 and his bike flipped over the tires and concrete wall onto the main track. He was pretty shaken up but not injured. His bike surprisingly actually had very little damage for what it went through.

I can't decide if I am going to do one more this year or not but I think I have made up my mind to do Superbike at VIR at the beginning of next season.

Now Orangevale get out there and do one, you will get addicted I am sure of it!!!

I have wanted to take in a track day with my past bikes, but now that I have the FJR that might be a bit interesting. I do however, have the chance to score an FZ6 as a trackbike for next to nil. By nil I mean $500. Has anyone here had the FJR on the track?

If you have a chance, do the main course at Summit rather than Jefferson.

Back when it was being built, we used to have some great scooter races on Jefferson during race weekends on main.

If you have a chance, do the main course at Summit rather than Jefferson.Back when it was being built, we used to have some great scooter races on Jefferson during race weekends on main.
I have some friends who do Summit Main and have been trying to get me over there. I like Jefferson and to me is a fun little track but after VIR I will probably try the main out.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have wanted to take in a track day with my past bikes, but now that I have the FJR that might be a bit interesting. I do however, have the chance to score an FZ6 as a trackbike for next to nil. By nil I mean $500. Has anyone here had the FJR on the track?
I went to the track with someone who owns the ZX14 and he rode it on Jefferson. Would it be my choice as a track bike no but many have run the FJR on the track. My friend picked up an old F4 for about $600 and he rides the snot out of it on the track and leaves his YZF for the road.

I would do the FZ6 just in cast anything happens it isn't your FJR. I have almost $10,000 in my cbr600rr and shouldn't be on the track with it either. I am thinking about selling the GSXR1000, making the cbr my street bike and picking up a cheap track bike next year.

I have had my Feejer on the track on three seperate occassions and had a blast. I rode in the novice class each time and learned a great deal. In particular I learned I love the torque the Feej offers. I also had to take some teasing as the real advanced riders called my scooter: "the RenCen". The brakes also prove superb hauling down the scooter from well into the triple digits without complaint. I suggest suspension adjustment and kissing your peg feelers good bye. I decided to try the track after reading posts from other people here on the Forum that have done it.

Hmmm...the thought is tempting. Here's another question, and didn not mean to hijack, but did you spoon on some stickier tires or go with just a good set of ST tires? And how bout the center stand? You take it off before you go on the track?

I've tracked my FJR at RoadAmerica and Barber.

Ground clearance means you really need to perfect getting off the bike, but its sure fun to pass the crotchrockets in the corners on a touring bike!

I've run Metzeler Z6s and Dunlop Qualifiers. The Z6s are (for me) the perfect tire for my FJR. 9000miles on a rear including 4 track days, and they handing good on the track. it's possible to overheat them, but they come back in shape pretty fast.

Qualifiers don't last as long on the street, but they are much harder to overheat on the track.

I just did a day with Buell Inside Pass and while the 1125R is a blast to ride it won't be replacing my FJR anytime soon.

Maybe joining, but not replacing.

I too did a track day at Barbers about 3 years ago. Though not a true spot bike by any means it aquits itself quite well on the track.

Glenn

Track day at Barbers the weekend of 10/27/08 & 10/28/08...........

I'll be there to watch not participate.

I rode my 07 FZ6 on monday at Sears Point (Infineon) raceway in Reg Pridmore's Class. I did it last year on my FJR, very good to learn what the Feejer will do. The 6 is much easier to throw around, I had not been able to touch the peg feelers on the 6 on the street but it didn't take long to be scraping on the track. Even had a touch on the right side at 80 mph on turn 10. It is true that you can learn more in one day on the track than years of riding on the street. I like Reg's Class as it is geared for skills to help master the street. Every rider should take a class on their own bike.

I've done a 2 day track day school on my FJR, and while i agree with some of the previous posts that the Feej holds it's own on the track it was really annoying being passed by people on sport bikes simply because their bikes could lean much further without scraping hard parts. I used my preferred (standard) tires, Michelin PilotPower 2CT which are up any task you ask of them.

Can't wait to do more track days but on more specialized bikes.