Trailer Build - hopefully in improvement to my current one

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cool. Where'd you get those nice looking wheels?
They are for the Yakima Rack and Roll trailer $189 each including shipping with Amazon prime which includes the tire and bearings fully mounted and the bearing cover. The overall diameter of the tire is about 3/4 of an inch taller, and the tire is about the same wider than the stock bushtecs. Bushtec replacement wheels w/o the bearings, tires, or bearing covers are $223 each plus shipping.

They use a 3.25 x 16 - 6 ply tire. Replacement tires are about $40 each and readily available, where the bushtec are about $75 each and a pain in the ass to get.

NOTE: if you use it for a Bushtec with a 5/8" axle, you will need to change the bearings. It comes with 13mm bore x 12mm x 42 mm OD, When you get the 5/8 bearings, they only come in 40 mm OD , so you will need to get a .040" (1mm) brass sheet and use it for shim material to line the outside of the bearing area. It is a sung fit and everything works.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you have chance could you keep track of cost of materials? It would be nice at the end to have a final cost on your custom trailer. So far it is looking great at a reasonalble cost. Labor not included of course.

Dave

If you have chance could you keep track of cost of materials? It would be nice at the end to have a final cost on your custom trailer. So far it is looking great at a reasonalble cost. Labor not included of course.
Dave
I am and will. I have to show the costs to State Patrol to get it licensed in Washington. As of now, I am into it about about $950 for the 3 wheels (1 spare), shocks, LED lights/wiring, struts for the lid, latch & locking assembly, and the steel I have bought. I am going to have the frame powder coated. I don't know about the sides and top, which I have to buy yet.

Still think you should have done this one, though I am biased.

a321c27.jpg

a321c09.jpg

But your welds and design are solid.

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="AuburnFJR" data-cid="1335994" data-time="1473355656"><p>

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="NTXFJR" data-cid="1335977" data-time="1473352331"><p>Cool. Where'd you get those nice looking wheels?</p></blockquote>

<br />

They are for the <a href='https://www.rackattack.com/other-products/trailers-accessories/trailers/yakima-rackandroll-66-trailer/'>Yakima Rack and Roll trailer</a> $189 each including shipping with <a href='https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001UYWRMY/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1'>Amazon</a> prime which includes the tire and bearings fully mounted and the bearing cover. The overall diameter of the tire is about 3/4 of an inch taller, and the tire is about the same wider than the stock bushtecs. Bushtec replacement wheels w/o the bearings, tires, or bearing covers are $223 each plus shipping.<br />

<br />

They use a 3.25 x 16 - 6 ply tire. Replacement tires are about $40 each and readily available, where the bushtec are about $75 each and a pain in the ass to get.<br />

<br />

NOTE: if you use it for a Bushtec with a 5/8" axle, you will need to change the bearings. It comes with 13mm bore x 12mm x 42 mm OD, When you get the 5/8 bearings, they only come in 40 mm OD , so you will need to get a .040" (1mm) brass sheet and use it for shim material to line the outside of the bearing area. It is a sung fit and everything works.</p></blockquote>

Thanks for the tire info. I have been haphazardly looking for this tire and now it is in a place I can readily find.

Made some more progress today. It is now a rolling chassis. Dimensions are:

The body: L 75" x W 38" x H 24" (Front) & 27" Rear) This is 6 Inches longer than my Bushtec when you include the ice chest in the dimension. I aired up the shocks, only took 15 lbs of air to level it out. Tongue height is 17" to match my bike. I weighed it in the current configuration it weighs 97 lbs with almost 35 lbs taken up by the wheels and shocks. I think I am on target to be about 140 to 150 lbs which is slightly less than the Bushtec. I haven't decided which way I am going to have the lid open. Right now I am leaning to have it open from the side but that my cause issues with getting the ice chest out, so I may have to have it open from the back like the Bushtec.

I jumped up and down inside it. It is amazingly strong already. A lot of detail stuff to do tomorrow.

Lg5M9TD.jpg

mUFlINw.jpg

ilpGhcr.jpg

6Z222dd.jpg

5j1SXlA.jpg

While the trailer will be light, it looks like it is huge! You will be able to carry way too much! Nice job.
ok.gif

I ordered my hitch today and hopefully it will arrive on Saturday. Not that I will have any time to install it. I may wait until I put the next rear tire on which should happen this fall. I can't seem to wear the dam thing out. It looks like you can put a whole refrigerator inside there. Hard to tell without the bike in the picture.

Looking good so far, Keep going.

Dave

Been a little while since I have been able to work on it. RR5 last weekend, and family commitments this weekend.

I also bought a tool to bend 3/4" and 1" square tubing. I decide to radius the front corners, which means I will have some modifications to make. After my last set of pictures, escapefjrtist called me and said the trailing arms look a little low. He was right and they didn't have the clearance I wanted. So I remade them and now they have 4" clearance at the lowest point. I also had to make the pocket for the shocks a couple of inches bigger. Pictures when I get a chance to take them.

A few progress pictures.

first a close up of the new trailing arm with 4-5 inches clearance

GcvrB0Z.jpg

other views

qu3zdiD.jpg

IyvxWv6.jpg

bHm3Ewh.jpg

a0tMvvs.jpg

comparison of Bushtec next to my new trailer (front of ice chest even with front of trailer) Both trailers are set at the same ride height, my trailer has about 4 inches of travel, the bushtec is bottomed out with a blown air shock. I put a spare front wheel, trailer tire, ice chest and tool bag under the ice chest to give an idea where things will be carried.

Also notice how much longer the tongue is compared to the bushtec. Almost 2 feet more. should help with stability quite a bit.

Height of my trailer is dictated by the height of the tires. Makes it a few inches taller than the Bushtec. Also, mine is not rounded so i get more volume from that alone.

AFmtMqB.jpg

MpARhty.jpg

YO6LAxK.jpg

oDNzWWL.jpg

Back of my trailer is 6" longer than the Bushtec with the ice chest.

D66w2qM.jpg

Comparing width

kgt5AEi.jpg

llohhtm.jpg

Overhead view with ice chest and tires

7DSucRZ.jpg

with ice chest and ties out, temp board in for Ice chest to sit on

Hw9frrT.jpg

Tool bag sitting on temp board

WzhPT0d.jpg

everything removed

VPPVfjP.jpg

I'm not sure why you'd want to, but you could take the Bushtec along with you someplace. Inside the new one! :lol:

Since it'll be done sometime in the fall, I guess you'll call it a 2017 model. What color will it be?