Trailer build

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Northwoods Snowman

Reaction score
I started this project back in the spring of 2014 and finally finished it last weekend (except for paint) and thought I should share.

I used 2"x2" and 2"x 1" box tubing with about a 1/16" wall (can't remember the gauge). Picked up some 500# torsion axles from Northern Tool, but these thing are HEAVY! I think they are probably the same components for 2000# or 3000# axles but with softer rubber or something; the tire/hub/axle assemblies weigh 34# EACH. I decided to add an external cooler rack after the fact and then had to move the axles forward so that's why there's also some angle iron. Not as clean as I would like but empty I have 13% tongue weight and the ability of offset the cooler weight. Box is just a cheap roof box I found on craigslist. Added some lights and fenders and I've got a functioning trailer. The three-axis coupler also comes off so I an put on a ball coupler for towing behind the car.

Now I just have to wait until summer when it's warm enough to paint it up.

Thank you for the pictures. I am gathering supplies to do the same thing, and I've been following your posts. I have the cargo carrier, and I was planning on purchasing a Harbor Freight trailer frame. I really wanted to get a look at your frame set up without the carrier on it. I have access to stainless steel raw material, and a welder, and a plasma cutter, and pretty much everything I would need to follow your design at a reasonable cost. Thank you for the pictures and descriptions. It is a huge help to me.

Now how do you expect to fit an FJR in that little thing?
rolleyes.gif
I doubt he wants to put a FJR in it Fred, he may want to Stuff You tho! :)

Thank you for the pictures. I am gathering supplies to do the same thing, and I've been following your posts. I have the cargo carrier, and I was planning on purchasing a Harbor Freight trailer frame. I really wanted to get a look at your frame set up without the carrier on it. I have access to stainless steel raw material, and a welder, and a plasma cutter, and pretty much everything I would need to follow your design at a reasonable cost. Thank you for the pictures and descriptions. It is a huge help to me.
It is hard to beat the Harbor frt kits, especially with a discount coupon. I did a 4 by 8 fold-up(big wheels) years ago to haul my Shadow, still in service for dump/bark and gravel runs.

I did a similar setup with my Harbor Freight trailer.

Cut off the tongue and installed a grade 8 bolt inside with bearings and bushings.

On the end of the bolt is a swivel heim joint that attaches to the hitch.

Tracks behind the bike quite nicely

I thought about using the HF trailer but I wanted torsion axles instead of leaf springs. By the time you add torsion axles to the HF tag along it's just cheaper (and lighter I think) to build one from scratch. And for me it's just way for fun to make the whole thing. :)

I have the HF tagalong and go back and forth about switching over to the torsion axles. Already pulled it from VA to AK and it did ok. Leaning torwards to leaving it alone. Other than being the torsion suspension being independent, the leaf spring suspension is bullet proof.

Also was going to start from scratch with torsion axles.

Kinda bouncy even with a leaf taken out.

Can you get a torsion axle small enough weight?

Panman, Bushtec is expensive. I was contemplating using the air ride from tractor seats as you can pickup a set from a wrecking yard for a reasonable price.

What are you using for a hitch?
This

Looks great. Do you mind sharing your ideas?
Thanks; mostly trying to improve the suspension. Not exactly sure how I want to do it yet, either Flexiride torsion axles (adjustable to lower the trailer) or maybe the Timbren axle-less suspension at this point. Timbren offers a 400# unit that uses rubber springs and the Flexiride axles are rated at 425#. Flexiride option is like $300 and the stupid timbrens are $400 so not exactly cheap! (compared to about $200 for what I used here). I found that the 500# torsion axles work well when loaded, but you need a couple hundred pounds on them to get them to really ride nice. I had to tow it around incomplete when we moved twice so I got to see how they handled. They are much quieter than leaf springs, but still need some weight to see all the benefits and I don't plan on loading it really heavy every time I want to use it. I'm also trying to research using some hydraulic damping, like spring over shocks or something, but then the price jumps up even higher and I'm not sure what I would need for damping rates.

I also think I can use less steel in the frame and get the weight down a bit.

As it sits I've got about $600 plus time invested in this thing. Amazing how much stuff costs when you want a quality product instead of quick and dirty. Hopefully I can sell this thing and be able to build another. Seems crazy to me to be trying to get $800 out of it, but when it cost $600 for materials and registration, and you see that other new trailers (fancier of course) go for over $2000, I don't feel so bad, lol.