Trailering through rain and worried about rust

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you are going to trailer on an open trailer, I suggest that you remove the windscreen before you head out. With no rider on the bike the wind can push pretty hard on that windscreen and pop it off. I know of at least one case where that happened on a '13 FJR.

As a new rider I know that some of my questions will be considered not serious by some. But I will rather ask a dumb question than later wish I did ask. Thanks for all the useful replies.
Ah a "new" rider, ok that explained your question then.

I thought you were just new to FJR's.

Like someone above said you "might" get some rust on fasteners and stuff but ONLY if you ride/transport in the rain a LOT.

As far as I'm concerned, ask away. There's an excellent chance that I remember when I didn't know the answer to your question myself, and if I've got a good answer, you'll get it with no ridicule.
That's just ridiculous!

bleh.gif
I'm worried about that tongue, Fred.
smile.png

Riding in the rain is no big deal. BTDT plenty of times. However riding or open trailering a bike through the mountain passes with sand and salt is another deal completely with the winter conditions between Portland and Norcal.

The best part about an enclosed trailer is nobody will give you shit about trailering at the gas station.

<snip> As a new rider I know that some of my questions will be considered not serious by some. But I will rather ask a dumb question than later wish I did ask. Thanks for all the useful replies.
Great meeting you the other night Henry! Ask questions...that's the way we all learn! Search feature via Google will net you all sorts of information and minimize the abuse from certain members.
coolsmiley02.gif

<snip> Good attitude, henwil! Really. Ask your questions, dig through the garbage (I contribute) and make your decision.
Nicely said, Kitty! It's getting harder to dig through all the *garbage* lately, more noise than signal going on here...hope winter is over soon!

--G

Amazing this threat could go on for three pages. There should be no doubt you need to rent or borrow a closed trailer for this move at this time of the year. If you are going to Redding, CA to have a seat fitted you will most likely have to go over Mt Ashland, OR and I can tell you only a fool would attempt that ride if there is snow. Get a set of Canyon Dancer Bar Harness II tie downs, two lashing straps, chock the front and rear wheels and you will be good to go. I've had two FJR's shipped in this manner and never a problem.

+1 on not using Canyon Dancers on the cast aluminum bars of the FJR, (they can break), and on removing the windscreen for trailering. You'll probably be ok if you leave the windscreen on, but why risk it when it's so easy to remove. And not tarp-ing the bike directly.

FWIW, OR doesn't use salt, though the de-icer can cause some corrosion if not rinsed off, over time. BTDT on the exhaust cans of the '04 FJR. It takes a while though. I noticed it when I gave the bike it's annual wash in June...

@Hello Kitty - Girl, why am I not surprised that you choose to purchase the tape measure with the longest "stand out" in production? It's not so bad now, but when you were single and you carried that big ass tape measure on your hip in the bars, it would just make men walk away from you honey.
kiss.gif
And the drunks would insist you start measuring like you would on a cat's tail...
not_i.gif

Do consider renting an enclosed trailer, BUT do not tell them you are putting a motorcycle in it when you rent it. They will insist that's not ok. And it will be a pain in the butt from there on out and cost more money than you want to spend.

An enterprising fellow could build a wood frame around the bike, and tarp that tightly, so the tarp was not against the bike. Just depends on how much trailer you have and how much energy you have.

Generally, I'm with Iggy. I've ridden in way too much rain to ever worry about what a little water would do to the bike. But if you stress about it, there are options.

I used to say there were no stupid questions, but there are...
uhoh.gif

However, for every question someone asks, there are about a dozen others that were thinking of asking it. So all questions do benefit in some way.
punk.gif

With the calcium chloride and sand on I-5 it will be a real mess. The vortex coming off your car will direct the sand and mud on the motorcycle like tailgating a car for 600 miles. Yeck.

I suggest a covered trailer or ride it. Putting a cover on it will trash the paint when the muck gets under the cover.

Well I think there were enough folks that advised against trailering through the passes this time of year due to the sand and salt that I am not going to do it. Thanks! Rather safe than sorry.

As I mentioned a closed trailer is not an option due to the type I hitch on my sedan. I could construct something on the trailer with wood, plastic, etc. to keep the bike dry without touching it (have built crazier things than that before) but I don't have the time or energy.

So plan B is to go down the coast over two days and just enjoy the scenery from the cage with the bike in tow. Should be fun. When I get to Santa Cruz I pick the first good day to get on the FJR and ride to Redding, spend a night, have the seat made and ride back. Should be a fun ride too.

Ok then, drive down I-5 to Grants Pass, then take 199 out to Crescent City and follow 101 South. You could take 20 back out at Leggit to I-5 if you wanted to. It's a nice drive too. Don't try 299 out to Redding, there are ski areas in between, for a reason. Fun road in summer, with it getting tighter and twistier at the Redding end.

Thanks. I will probably stay on 101 down to the bay area. According to Google maps that only adds about 60 miles and 2.5hours. Worth it I think.

Well, some folks may not trailer their FJR's but I do and quite happy doing so. We' ll be trailering the bike to AZ in April for a 21/2 week visit and I can take my wife and dog and golf clubs and do day rides or over nighters on demand. Also stopping in Shasta Lake on the way down to custom up a new Russell seat for a 60 day ride this fall. I've been riding since the mid 60's, both dirt and street and have had many bikes and put on a boat load of miles on all of them. So to those who mock trailering, go fuck yourself.
I'm telling MaryAnn you're cursing! Now get your ass off to church and beg forgiveness!
angel.gif

I must have been really bored this morning to sit here and read most of this thread, but now that it's time to head off to work, here's an idea that for 30 bucks, should cure your problem: once ya get it on the trailer, spend 10 minutes wrapping it up with a 20-inch-wide roll of stretch wrap. This is the stuff they wrap pallets with. Just ask any trucker how well this stuff holds up against wind. I'd suggest you use the 80 gauge stuff as it's designed to stay put during trailering in high wind.

CLICKY HERE

Problem solved.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think that is a really good idea! Several options I can think off. Wrap just the bike, wrap the bike with the trailer, or build a frame around the bike with say 2x2s and wrap that. I am leaning towards the last option. Almost like a DIY enclosed trailer. I don't care what it looks like or what people think. Will get some interesting looks
uhoh.gif

Your bike is an '08 and never seen rain?

Holy rollers, we need to enshrine that baby ...in the FJR garage queen hall of fame!

Hey KJ... cut the new guy some slack, huh?

Since he says he is a "new rider" in an earlier post, I'm assuming that the bike is also new (to him).

We all treat our new bikes differently than the old whores we've been riding mercilessly for years... ;)

We all treat our new bikes differently than the old whores we've been riding mercilessly for years...
wink.png
Ah yes. A new bike, a new automobile, or a new girlfriend always gets more rubbing and affection. Then the new wears off and we make them ride in a trailer behind the truck! And we want to cover them up so no one can see!

I kid. My ST is an '04 and I still wax and polish it regularly. My wife is a '65 model and I... well I still like her too.

Hey KJ... cut the new guy some slack, huh?
Since he says he is a "new rider" in an earlier post, I'm assuming that the bike is also new (to him).

We all treat our new bikes differently than the old whores we've been riding mercilessly for years...
wink.png
I truly apologize to the OP.

...and I try to be a wipy-shiny type of guy especially after seeing Greg (Geezers) ride a few years back, and yes I know, he's proud of his piled on dirt. I decided I would 'try' to be the complete opposite and put a clean plate and silverware on the table. I know rain is inevitable, but I figure I can always spit shine it later, and maybe even with a few beers by my side.

I'm arriving a little late to this topic, but I was too busy plowing and shoveling snow over the weekend. I can easily drive up and down my VERY steep 17 percent grade road with AWD and snow tires on the car, but the bike doesn't do so well in snow. By plowing most of the snow off the road yesterday, it allowed enough melting to allow me to ride the bike to work in the rain today with only a couple instances of the rear end sliding sideways in some slush while riding down the hill this morning.

All that said to let you know that despite over 80,000 miles on my FJR in rain, sleet and occasional snow there's no rust or corrosion on the bike. You should be just fine trailering the bike down there and then just wash it off when you get there. Some of us prefer the brown bike looks and forgo the washing except for maybe once a year for good measure.
wink.png
The FJR isn't your 70's Chevy where the fenders rusted out if driven in the winter!