Triumph Sprint ST

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NovaFlyer

Reaction score
Hi Folks.

Wondering if anyone has any experiences with this Triumph? I'm trying to look at different sport tourers for Mrs Flyer to try and am looking for some feedback if anyone has any to offer.

Clic to see the Sprint ST

Thx.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wondering if anyone has any experiences with this Triumph?
I rode an 06 about a month ago. It was like riding a VFR with more power although you need to wind it past 4,000 rpms to make it go. The engine was very smooth and the ride was very good. I would put in the SPORT-Tourer category but by the time you add ABS and hard bags the price tag is pretty close to the FJR -- but you are getting a lot more for the money with a FJR.

I've ridden the older design of the Sprint and really liked it. It's what made me unhappy with my luxo tourer I was riding at the time and, eventually to buying the FJR. The difference was that the Sprint was about a 1 hour bike for me. Any more than that and I was feeling the pain.

A lot of that has to do with if you can bend into the sport-bike-pretzel riding position for any length of time or not. If you can, then bikes that are more sport than touring might fit you.

Test ride one and see.

The other issues I didn't care for:

chain

dealer network if on road trips (if i stayed local, the dealership would be a fine choice)

I took a test ride on an '06 prior to buying the FJR. Fun bike but too extreme on the riding position for me. Wind protection is nada and it has a chain. Different bars, seat and windscreen would have been a must for me.

One Damn sexy bike!

I drooled on them when they came out.

Magazine reviews have been luke warm though.

One tester riding as passenger melted their glove while holding onto the hand rail.

If they say the exhaust doesn't get hot, their drinking the CoolAid.

Love the weight to comfort balance.

Love the triple theme.

Love the looks and sound.

As noted above, the ergos are significantly more extreme than the FJR.

I see this as is a 300 mile/ride bike. (less range than the FJR)

The aftermarket and used parts pool are completely nonexistant for this bike.

They just aren't selling many here. Even way less than the rare FJR.

When I researched, there was a Corbin saddle and a Puig screen. That's was about it.

That was a big minus for me, last year.

Appreciate all the responses guys.

You're observations are pretty much what I've been thinking. While it's definitely a hot looking machine, my gut feeling is that Mrs Flyer won't be impressed after she get's over the looks and starts living with it. ( and no ... that's not refering to me :p ). Reading the Triumph owners forum has reveiled lot's of comments of poor front brakes and terrible dealer warantee service. Basically put's it off the radar in my books. Shame though as it's definitely a looker.

Now if I can only get the guy that scooped the XX out from under me to die and leave it to me in his will, I'd be set. :D

Thanx again folks for your input.

NFlyer

I don't own a ST yet but I've taken several test rides on the ST1300, FJR, and Sprint ST.

As others have commented the Sprint is more sports oriented, way more weight on my wrists which may not be good for a 66 year old geezer.

I think the bike is awesome, love the three cylinder, trans, looks, handles great, two year warranty, $3,000+cheaper than the FJR (I'm in Canada also) but...heat is a big issue, as it is with the FJR and Honda. Visit the Sprint forums as you'll see they have quite a few problems. I don't think it's too good for a pillion. I managed to get the front wheel of the ground twice without really trying, both time I just pulled out to pass a car.

The FJR is what really got me interested in ST bikes but when I test rode the 06 two times I just couldn't live with the throttle, too stiff and the FI was VERY snatchy on the bikes I rode. I tried an 05 and the throttle and FI were fine.

Just spoke to my Triumph dealer today and an 07 ABS can be had for $15,000. Regards.

Just spoke to my Triumph dealer today and an 07 ABS can be had for $15,000. Regards.
Hi Feliz.

Where are you at in Canada? That price is pretty darn good compared to what I'm being quoted for a 06 demo with 2800 kms.

I've been reading the Rat forums and have discovered the ST has it's share of quirks/issues. Much like our snatchy throttle and stuff.

Appreciate the input.

Novaflyer.

Where are you at in Canada?
Hi NovaFlyer - I'm in Vancouver but prices should be the same across Canada shouldn't they?

Have you had the throttle problem with your FJR? That was the only problem I had with the 06 FJR, otherwise I would buy one tomorrow but it was quite bad on the 06 I tested.

All the dealers here are selling new 06 Sprint ABS for $14,000 without even dickering, I'm sure there's more room to move. Good luck. feliz

Evening Feliz.

I'm on the 'other' coast and we only have one dealer for Triumph in Atlantic Canada .... You can guess their motivation for dealing - read none.

I wouldn't hesitate one second to buy the FJR because of the initial throttle impression. Mine was a bit twitchy, but after I did the throttle cable and Barbarian jumper mod discussed here, it's been sweet riding ever since. I can't say enough about how much of a difference it made and the cost was 'zip nada bubkiss'

Mrs Flyer has been riding the Feejr lately and absolutely loves it, as do I. Food for thought.

Hope you haven't flooded away out there with all the rain you have been having. Nasty storm out your way.

Cheers and thanx again for the input.

NFlyer

I took a demo 2006 Sprint ST out this summer for a half hour. They do put out some heat although I've heard Triumph has a heat fix for them now. I really liked the triple, seemed to have good power and torque.

If I hadn't needed a more comfortable two up bike I would have bought a Sprint instead of an FJR. It seems to have a little too agressive ergos for two up LD riding IMO. The wife didn't find it much more comfortable than riding two up on my FZ6.

As ejworthen said, heat issue supposedly been fixed. Also the bags were considered junk and this issue has also been addressed by Triumph and they are replacing the bags on the 05 also. The seating on the 07 has supposedly also been redesigned from 06. Those 3 cylinder motors do have a sound of their own which I like. CycleWorld mag has a write up in the Dec. issue about this worth checking out...PM. <>< ;)

Evening Feliz.
I wouldn't hesitate one second to buy the FJR because of the initial throttle impression.

Hope you haven't flooded away out there with all the rain you have been having. Nasty storm out your way.

Cheers and thanx again for the input.

NFlyer
NFlyer - I bought an FJR today, pick it up tomorrow. I'll have to see how the throttle is on the bike when I pick it up.

Yes, it's raining here today but I still ride. I see on TV you're golfing in the Maritimes.

Cheers.