Trooper Mod

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Geese. No love around here. I did it and rode with it for many thousands of miles. I liked it. More sound than stock. All my FJRs have slip-ons now because that is my preference and I have found them relatively cheap for used, but I have no complaints about my miles with the Trooper Mod.

There is another possibility: it's not ALL OR NOTHING. Consider doing JUST the stage one Trooper mod. I explained it here: CLICKY. I did this on my FJR, and still enjoy hearing it when I ride with my buddy Mark who bought my FJR. It's not as loud as the full trooper mod. I did this mod 12 years ago, and the cans are doing just fine.

Trooper was just the name of a member who posted it up here. Lot of us tried it, most of us liked the result. Only caution, I heard it could affect trade-in value value. I burned thru a bunch of rotary dremel blades (surprisingly tough material). I haven't done it on any of my subsequent FJRs, but if I did, I'd do it simpler and skip both the hole saw and the dremel--just drill some holes straight in (internally) around the end of the internal pipe. Tight space so it would have to be a small bit. Maybe one at a time and check how you like it.

Never heard it called Trooper mod until this site. Where did that name come from?
Jeff,
Check my link in post #6 above. It takes you to the Trooper mod thread. My experience: I simply bought a 1 1/2 inch hole saw, centered it by eye, and ran it straight into the ends of both cans until it cut through. The process is amazingly easy and quick. That's stage one. Stage two would have been to go inside with a Dremel and cut out the rest. I never did that. I found that I liked the more subtle change I had created. I ride behind my buddy Mark quite often: he owns my Trooper modded FJR now. I still love the sound of that engine. The popping on decal is minimal.

Last edited: