Trunk option?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The Shad bracket was a perfect fit on my 06
Glad your experience was better. I ordered a Shad bracket for my VFR a year ago. It was defective. I took pictures and sent them to ShadUsa and they sent me another bracket. It was better but I still had to bend it quite a bit to make it work. I ordered one for the FJR and the holes did not line up. Close to 1/8" off. I just sent it back and bought something else rather than mangle it or my brand new bike trying to make it fit.. It looks like the weld shop is not using jigs and just welding things up. the welds are pretty sloppy looking too. Maybe they moved their production or something. The SW-Motech stuff fit perfectly to both the bike and the SHAD case.

My E55 and SR357 with the brake light kit arrives today for my '14. Great picture. Yours looks good. Coming from a bmw with city cases (more shallow than normal cases) , I always find myself needing more space. Summer isn't bad, but in cooler months, and even more so in fall and spring, I find that apparel takes up all available space in the side cases, leaving no room for my tac bag or my laptop.

I avoided the truck on the '05 for 9 years. They say "touring" more than "sportbike" to me. But with the '14, we have plans for much more two-up travel. So, I followed advice from this forum (I'd be lost without it) and went with the SR357 and the V47.
Sure, it's not as asthetically pleasing as no trunk and the stock rack, but damn, it's really convenient and totally useful.

I went with the Givi LED brake light kit, but I'd recommend the Admore light kit that also has running lamps as well as brake lights. Hindsight.

If you're gonna mar the clean lines of the FJR with a trunk, it might as well be one with useful size. Copilot likes the cargo space and the back rest functionality (didn't get the back rest pad).

Also wanted the nearly-matching red cover for the V47, but it's no longer available, so they tell me. The flat black ain't bad.

GiviV47_zps59e2060b.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Is removing the factory rack difficult? I printed and was perusing the instructions for the Givi SR357. I thought it utilized the stock rack. Now I see that it replaces it rather than reinforces it.

I laid out the givi SR357 for install this morning. Roughly half the bolts were not included. Poor QC. Emailed givi and now I'm waiting. Mid week, if replacements aren't in, SR357 and E55 go back.

I was apprehensive about the Givi and bought the factory trunk. The factory trunk was, how should I say this.... lame, IMO. Sat way too tall and I didn't care for mount. So on the 14 I went with the Givi 52L trunk. Looks great...

15331178958_57ae55ba39_z.jpg

I was apprehensive about the Givi and bought the factory trunk. The factory trunk was, how should I say this.... lame, IMO. Sat way too tall and I didn't care for mount. So on the 14 I went with the Givi 52L trunk. Looks great...
15331178958_57ae55ba39_z.jpg
Jason my friend, looks like you have a motorcycle problem...

Smitty

Tested on a closed track (ahem), the E55 and SR357 had no adverse (or any other notable) effect on a windy day at 110mph. Everything I left with was still around at the end of the ride.

Big Shad SH50 fan, I have the GEN1 mount and works great. Love the super easy on/off, nearly factory match color plate, and LED brake light. Holds 2 helmets and does everything I need it to do.

I just wanted to add another vote of confidence for the SR357 rack. Easy to install, and MUCH more stout than stock. Really like the V47 trunk, but I have an older B33, and the wallet is still running too hot from too many farkles, so it's getting transferred over for now. Enough room for my solo travels. For a poor-man's taillight kit, I took the stock lenses out and replaced the backing paper with SOLAS tape. Fantastic reflectivity now....