Trusting a Mechanic After a Mistake

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Zeb

Reaction score
Just thought I would post this and see what people thought.

I recently had a rear flat and had my local motorcycle tire shop (strictly a tire shop), replace my rear tire.  Drove around on it for a week and had a separate issue crop up that I had to bring the Yamaha dealership to look at.  While at the dealer, the mechanic saw that my rear brake pad was put on backwards and had ruined my rear brake rotor.  

I called the guy who installed the my rear tire and he was apologetic and said he will buy new brake pads and a new rotor and install them for free.  He claims he has been working on motorcycles since the 70's and will make sure everything is perfect.  He also claims that there is no way to tell what side is the right side of a brake pad....?

Would you have him replace the pads and rotors or would you insist he pays for someone else to do the work?

Zeb,

I would have that clown buy the parts needed, sure, then have a competent mechanic install those parts to specs.  Faulty brakes can be a killer, no joke. 

If that deal does not suit the clown for some reason, then I'd bite the bullet, walk away, and get things fixed at a good bike shop.  No way would I let the first guy get another try, on MY brakes.

He also claims that there is no way to tell what side is the right side of a brake pad....?

Would you have him replace the pads and rotors or would you insist he pays for someone else to do the work?
I'd note I put the to pads together once with the rotor between them and the caliper...ick.  But I discovered before I'd finished the job and cussed myself out.. Mistakes happen and I learned from it.  Dealers make mistakes too.

But I'm having a hard time believe you can't tell pad vs. backing plate.  Picture below is pretty easy to see and I've never seen a brake pad I couldn't tell which side was the business side.

If he's not fully learning from his mistake, I'd move on. I'd repair it myself personally (learning to wrench FJRs is actually pretty easy) and ask reimbursement for the hashed rotor...and try and keep the friendship sans repair of life-critical components.

2020-09-23_13-48-11.jpg

Why would he even have the brake pads out when changing a tire???

It IS possible to end out with both pads on one side of the rotor but that should have been obvious immediately.  I suspect that is what happened.

Any time anyone touches anything the bike, I check EVERYTHING carefully before I ride it - that includes when I work on it as well.  Too easy to forget something, especially if you get interrupted partway through.

Why would he even have the brake pads out when changing a tire???

It IS possible to end out with both pads on one side of the rotor but that should have been obvious immediately.  I suspect that is what happened.

Any time anyone touches anything the bike, I check EVERYTHING carefully before I ride it - that includes when I work on it as well.  Too easy to forget something, especially if you get interrupted partway through.
If I remember correctly I think he said  the pad fell out when he moved the caliper...

I have the worst mechanic in the world work on my FJR. Thing is, he works for free, stays at my house, and knows his way around my garage. I can say that even that putz never put a brake pad on backwards AND said there was not much difference between the brake material side and the backing side. STILL, I would let the guy install the rotor and new pads. Just my opinion. 

I have removed the rear tire many times on my FJR's and never have I had a pad fall out. I suppose if I banged the caliper around enough a pad may have fallen out. If you decide to let the guy do the fix I would insist on watching him do it. Don't distract him!!!!   :not_i:

Reactions: Zeb
Nobody is perfect and it's real easy to be a critic on the internet.  I would let the guy do the repair and take a look at it when done. You can bet that he will make sure it's right. I've been wrenching for a living for well over 50 years and I would like to say I haven't screwed up but It would be a lie. 

Zeb,

If this dude can not tell which side of the brake pads are steel or brake pad, there is no way he will be putting a torque wrench (or any tool) on my disk rotor. 

You should not be paying your good money to educate this guy, with your life and health hanging in the balance.  I will say no more about it.

The screws that hold the rotor on have loc tight on them and can be a bit*h to get out.  Not a easy job.

I've gotten the pads placed wrong but never 180º out of whack for the pad material. Like above, it's easy for a pad to slip to the wrong side of the rotor but once you understand that, catching it is easy... if you look.

Russ,

Not saying who else would need this item, aside from bike mechanics fighting old LocTite, but . . .

Now you can get gas-fired "cigarette lighters" that are essentially a mini-blowtorch.  Many convenience stores carry them, these days.  I'd want one that can be refilled, if that option is available.

Russ,

Not saying who else would need this item, aside from bike mechanics fighting old LocTite, but . . .

Now you can get gas-fired "cigarette lighters" that are essentially a mini-blowtorch.  Many convenience stores carry them, these days.  I'd want one that can be refilled, if that option is available.
You know, I've seen those and never gave it much thought.  I've just always had a soldering iron in the shop and noticed the flame tips when I purchased a refillable butane one.  It's come in handy a few times for breaking loctite loose.

Everyone makes mistakes, but, as a mechanic working for a living, that is a very bad mistake. Life endangering in fact. He sounds like he wants to make things right. I would let him pay for parts and have the job done by someone qualified. Removing brake rotors is a PIA due to locktite. Don't need someone buggering up the screws, or breaking one off, or rounding out the inside. Degree of difficulty and cost goes up a bunch if that happens. Personally, I would never let him touch anything of mine again. I do this stuff myself because, I work slowly, methodically, and pay attention to what I am doing.  Many people could do it faster, but, when I'm done, I know it's done right. No need to be nasty to him. Hopefully, he will learn from his experience.

Removing fasteners with loctite is easy. Just get it really hot first to break it down.

If I remember correctly I think he said  the pad fell out when he moved the caliper...
Do you see the little holes in the tops of the brake pads that Ignacio showed you? Those holes are for pins that hold the pads in place. The pads are able to slide along those pins. It is nearly impossible for them to fall out. Something else happened and I have no idea what. Unless something was seriously wrong with your caliper, that could not have happened as he says.

Like was said before, I have heard of lots of people getting both pads to one side of the rotor. It makes a Hellavua noise and it is obvious something is wrong. The choice is yours. I think I would ask him for the parts and repair it myself but if that is not an option, maybe you can inspect the bike closely, if you let him work on it. 

Status
Not open for further replies.