Two Brothers = too LOUD!

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Fuelie, they are stuck in customs as we speak, or should I say as of yesterday. I was contacted, and again my beloved government raped me for a few more $$. What do you do eh? I hoping to get them by Mon or Tues. I'll let you know once I get them.

They have two options for tips. The one I am considering is:

My link

The other option is:

My link

I'm just not sure they will quiet them down enough. I'm only 30, but God do I feel old right now!!!
The P1X tips make huge difference imo. Almost too quiet for my ears.

About feeling old, ...... oh never mind.

Last edited by a moderator:
I thought you were leaning towards the Beowulf or Holeshot exhaust in a previous thread? I initially was leaning towards the 2Bros, but after Skooter sold the Staintune to Gary, I went through as many sound clips as I could for the 2Bros, Beowulf, and Holeshots. For me regarding price and sound, the Beowulf ended up as my final decision. They come with the removable baffle/silencer and have a "lifetime warranty", which I'm sure is only on workmanship. I would agree if you keep the 2Bros get their silencer. Personally I wouldn't sink drain it. IMHO
Have you installed your Beowulfs yet? If so, your thoughts?
Sorry to butt in! I have had the BeoWulf's for 2yrs and before that Leo Vince (carbon). For me I "way" prefer the BeoWulf's. I have baffles out and don't find them too loud. That is a matter of opinion though? Both showed great quality in construction and fit but the Leo's didn't measure up to the sound bite I had heard on the internet so from that point of view I was disappointed from the start with them. When my Wulf's arrived there was a nick in one of the connecting pipes and a quick phone call to the UK fixed that right away, great service! My 2 cents.

Just a comment on volume reduction. It was correctly mentioned that a -3 decibel change represents cutting the volume in half. This is a measure of sound energy or pressure, not perceived volume. If you are looking for a very significant reduction, go with the tips offering greater sound attenuation. While 9 decibels should be an eighth the sound energy, it won't "sound" only 1/8 as loud.

Ross

I had 2 bros on my FZ6 and they were LOUD. I bought the tips and then they were just loud. Return the pipes, the tips will not quiet down the pipes enough to make you and the neighbors happy.

I have the 2 Bros muffers on mine for 2 years now. I found that the the P1X tips are my favorite. I only paid $60.00 for the pair.

Just a comment on volume reduction. It was correctly mentioned that a -3 decibel change represents cutting the volume in half. This is a measure of sound energy or pressure, not perceived volume. If you are looking for a very significant reduction, go with the tips offering greater sound attenuation. While 9 decibels should be an eighth the sound energy, it won't "sound" only 1/8 as loud.

Ross
You bring up a good point Ross.

Although the PX1's may reduce the sound pressure/energy to 1/8 they would not be 1/8 the volume. If they were, they would probably be quieter than the factory pipes and nobody would want them.

Thanks for clarifying that,

Jon...

I have a set of the same cans except they are titanium without the tips. While they are louder than stock I don't find them to loud. Now, I know that is a personal opinion but I have heard some obnoxious pipes (D&D for example) and mine are not near as loud as that. At idle I can have a conversation while the bike is running. At highway speed with a full face helmet I couldn't hear the stock at all. The 2 Bro's I can them but the wind noise is still louder than the exhaust. If I turn on the music I don't notice it at all.

I went with the Aluminum M2 and P1X tips. I tried without the tips and it was loud; even with the tips it was still loud but "quieter".

Another interesting thing, ... when I say loud, I don't just mean volume -- when I have my helmet on with earplugs, it feels like there's some serious bassy buzzing inside the helmet. It is annoying and I was very conscious of RPM on the highway -- trying real hard to stay out of the "RPM buzz zone" at about 3K RPM. A few things helped:

First, I discovered that my 29NR earplugs last about 4 rides; after that, their effectiveness is reduced by maybe a third. Conclusion: replace earplugs after 4 rides at most.

Second, with the big Vstream shield, I believe bass is reflected (reverberated?) back to my head -- kinda like what a subwoofer does next to a wall. Conclusion, remove shield or use a short one.

Third, the Two Brothers does not fit snug onto the FJR header pipe -- lots of room there. I called Two Brothers, took some measurements, sent their mid pipes to them and they had them resized to a point where I have to coax them onto the FJR header pipe for a more snug fit. I did not use the enclosed sealant and my right pipe does not leak (put your finger near where they join the header pipe and see if you can feel some air flow) but the left leaks just a little. Anyway, my pipes are not as loud and are quite tolerable and I've had them on at least 1000 miles so far.

Anyway, there are days when I'm into quietness -- no problem because it's easy to swap the pipes out for OEM and back (since I didn't use the sealant).

Dennis

Two Brothers on my FJR since 07. Mostly I ride by myself and I like the power bike sound. When I ride with other bikers I generally stay far back from the LOUD exhaust bikes. I don't feel like mine are offensive, or illegal. However, when on trips, sound can be as tireing as wind buffeting, I use ear plugs. I say please yourself.

Here is where I back up and kiss my rear. When cycles with those one foot long pipes go blasting by, I thank how they could ruin it for all of us by causing mandatory/enforced dB regulations. I hope the next thing is not megaphones bolted right to the exhaust manifold. "Loud pipes save lifes (maybe)." For sure they will cause poor hearing and loud sirens.

I have the stock system on my '08

I would like a very small amount of rumble but from what I have seen it is an all or nothing proposition and I just do not want loud pipes.

My major complaint with stock is the weight. I t would be nice to find a light weight system with just a little amount of rumble but do not want anything that sounds like a fart in a tube.

Guess I'll stick with what I have.

I personally love my Two Bros pipes, did a 3,300 mile trip with them in September and its without a doubt that on two occasions when numbnuts cage drivers started oozing into my lane, downshifting into 3rd in the interstate was way more effective than bleating my pathetic horn. That said, I didn't find them too loud inside my Shoei Qwest when cruising at 75-80, I did have earbuds in for my Nav system so that would be a factor. Fly Bye, my SV650 has a Leo Vince slip on that is barely louder than stock with the tip installed. Has a throaty rumble but very little increase in shrieking or howling at speed. ...just a thought. :)

Regarding noise levels.

If you have not already decided on which tips to get this may help.

The general rule is 3db will double (or reduce) the sound by 50%.

So the -3db tips should, in theory, reduce the volume by about 50%.

Hope that helps,

Jon...
Sorry, audio geek/professional here and that isn't quite right. It takes 2x the power to increase the SPL by 3 dB. But 6 dB is the an actual 2x increase in volume.

3 dB = twice the (amplifier) power.

6 dB = twice the amplitude (voltage) or SPL.

10 dB = twice the perceived volume (Loudness sensed accounting for psychoacoustics), hence the decibel scale.

So technically, he'd need the other tips.

Had those pipes on my ST1300. They were too loud at highway speeds with that deep drone penetrating through helmet and ear plugs. The P1X tips (the quietest) were just right. Still hearing the sound, but reduced. Helps with backpressure too.

Bungie wrote:

Then I tried an old chopper trick. I got a big thumb screw and mounted that in the stock tip. Unbelievable, it got louder still! Turning it to a 45 degree angle helped a lot. But not enough.

IMG_0581-1.jpg

Reminds me of the Snuff or Not I had on my BSA Victor in the '70's.

https://tomstoys.50webs.com/snuff.html

After study of this and other threads (+watching several videos on youtube) I'm thinking I would like the Beowolf w baffles out...

[media][/media]
Plus 1 on the Beowolf canisters. I have had my oval carbon fibre cans for two years now and couldn't be happier with the way they have transformed the sound and performance (IMO) of the bike. They are of the finest quality and have drawn a lot of interest from other riders and some disgust from local dealers that want you to pay nearly twice as much for comparable canisters. I put a pair on my buddies 2010 FJR and he hasn't stopped smiling or talking about them yet!