Tyre Mileage Report

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OrangevaleFJR

R.I.P. Our FJR Riding Friend
Reaction score
...8,500 miles.

The stock BFG's lasted 3,500 until cupping was so bad I replaced them with the Avon AV's which now have 8,500 miles on them.

I was really happy with them, but they are beyond the tread wear mark and need replacement on the rear.

The front still has a little tread left, no cupping noticeable during the ride, but will be replaced as well. Because.

Orangevale must be a suberb of London or maybe you're an alien that swam the Rio Atlantic? :D

Decent mileage on the rear. I seem to get between 7,000 and 8,000 myself due to my svelte self ;)

Turthfully, though I don't sound like it. I was born in Manchester, England and immigrated on a British Airways (then BOAC) 747 into Boston. This was in 1966. I was 17 days old. I was naturalized when I was 12. Spent 8.5 years in the USAF. I feel pretty durn American, but I can tribute the tyre maker ;-)

Glad you brought up tire wear, I've got 8,500 on my Metzlers (and on Maxine) and frankly, they look fine to me. Maybe a small amount of cupping, but no where near the wear marks. While I enjoy the twisties, etc, I'm not in danger of draggin' my mirrors any time soon. Are there any recommendations on when to change tires other than bad cupping, tread wear indicatiors, bulging, etc. IOW - change every 10,000 regardless of wear because....

Thanks.

8500 miles isnt bad. Just wait until skooterg gets back into town. Ask him how many miles he has on his tires... its frightening! :shock:

I dont know how many miles I really have gotten out of my tires. It seems I've always have to replace them early due to rallys coming up and needing fresh rubber. I think my current tires have about 7500 miles on them and they look OK so far.

Like the fuel mileage reports I've seen, I never get the tire mileage that others report.

Stock MEZ4s went 3,500 miles or so. First set of Avons did a bit better, getting about 4,700 miles. I changed a bit early before a 1,000 mile weekend trip, but only 300 to 500 miles early.

Current set of Avons look to be doing about the same; 5,000 miles and I'll be lucky.

I always keep an eye on tire pressures, running 41 front and 42 rear.

I think it's the road surfaces here in north Texas, along with the heat. I'm planning on the Pirelli Diablo Strada next.

Of course, I average 35 mpg, just about all the time. I dunno. <_<

I too run ~40 on the front and ~42 on the rear. I don't push it too hard, and I am yet to scrape a peg. I still have the original BFG's with 5500+ miles on them. Other than a little bit of cupping, they look like they can take another 5000 miles.

Just in case they expire before that, I have my eyes on a set of the new Michelin Pilot Power. >>>CLICK<<<

pilot_power.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Turthfully, though I don't sound like it. I was born in Manchester, England and immigrated on a British Airways (then BOAC) 747 into Boston. This was in 1966. I was 17 days old. I was naturalized when I was 12. Spent 8.5 years in the USAF. I feel pretty durn American, but I can tribute the tyre maker ;-)
That must have been a pretty spooky flight! 747's didn't enter commercial service until 1970...

-Cheerio, wot! ;)

I got about 5k miles out of the stock 020's. then i put on a set of diablo corsas and got about 4500 miles out of them. i was shocked they lasted as long as they did. I did one track day on the 020's. None on the diablo corsas but did some long and hard two up riding on them with a bunch of sport bikes. I've got diablo stradas on now and have about 4k miles on them so far. I've done three track days on them (all two up) and haven't put too much of a dent in them. they look like they'll go somewhere between 8k-10k??

I usually am pretty easy on tires and the SE roads don't seem to eat up tires much. I do ride the bike pretty hard when I'm in the mountains but doa lot of commuting with it as well. and the track days aren't that easy on the tires either. I also have a tire pressure system so it's easy to confirm my pressures. I think that tire pressure has a lot to do with mileage.

:)

That must have been a pretty spooky flight! 747's didn't enter commercial service until 1970...
Yeah! Shame on you for not remembering the model of Boeing you flew on when you were 17 days old. I mean, come on, you need to be accurate here!!

Speaking of which, were you exactly 17 days old or more like 16 1/2? Of course, that would depend if we are counting from the beginning of the flight or the end.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah! Shame on you for not remembering the model of Boeing you flew on when you were 17 days old. I mean, come on, you need to be accurate here!!

Speaking of which, were you exactly 17 days old or more like 16 1/2? Of course, That would depend if we are counting from the beginning of the flight or the end.
Well, he ain't 17 days old now, is he? :fuck: :p

Like the fuel mileage reports I've seen, I never get the tire mileage that others report.
Stock MEZ4s went 3,500 miles or so. First set of Avons did a bit better, getting about 4,700 miles. I changed a bit early before a 1,000 mile weekend trip, but only 300 to 500 miles early.

Current set of Avons look to be doing about the same; 5,000 miles and I'll be lucky.

I always keep an eye on tire pressures, running 41 front and 42 rear.

I think it's the road surfaces here in north Texas, along with the heat. I'm planning on the Pirelli Diablo Strada next.

Of course, I average 35 mpg, just about all the time. I dunno. <_<
I ride a lot of the north Texas roads and have been getting about the same milage out of three different sets of tires. Mezlers, Michelins, and Avons. 7,000 to 8,000 miles. I'm a moderately aggressive driver. Some guys, like Lee up in northern Cal., say they get 10,000 to 12,000 out of a set. That's a mystery to me.

GP

The front still has a little tread left, no cupping noticeable during the ride, but will be replaced as well. Because.
So, more Avons?
Yes, more Avons.

As soon as I wear out these Bridgestones that I put on because the dealer didn't have Avons. I told them to stock Avons instead of the Stones that I just bought. I didn't have much problem with the stock stones...they just wore out really fast and cupped in the front as fast as the back wore out (3,500 miles) I have a feeling that they wore out so fast due to a 2,300 mile fully loaded 2up trip to Colorado.

8500 miles isnt bad. Just wait until skooterg gets back into town. Ask him how many miles he has on his tires... its frightening! :shock:
He he he........

How about almost 18,000 on the front Avon, and a little over 12,000 on the rear?

:clap: