Unflattering FJR Description

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stealth1

Reaction score
I received my April issue of the British publication Bike today.

In a section called The Indispensable New Bike Guide they describe the FJR as;

Heavy, basic , old-school tourer is dependable, trustworthy, but not a patch on newer rivals. 14k pound price verges on insulting. Ask if price is a typo.

They give it a rating of two stars out of five.

In the same guide they list the price of the Kawasaki 1400GTR (our C14 Concours) as 12,820 Pounds.

I'm not going to lose any sleep over it but found it interesting.

That made my penis 1 inch shorter. Oh, the humanity! It's time to nuke that whole island nation!

Actually.........meh.

Heavy, basic , old-school tourer is dependable, trustworthy,

Holly Sh!T,

They just explained why I bought mine. FKM, if I wanted a light fast bike an R1 would have worked.

Penis length aside, the FJR is getting long in the tooth.

Kawi has made significant upgrades to their platform while the FJR, not anything, really.

Read the RR's with an open mind. If I was buying today, it very well might be the Kawi, just sayin'...

..back to the penile now.....

there is no way the kawi can be overlooked but the barrel on the right side looks like sht and for a short rider the fjr fits.

I honestly couldn't care less. The game is always one up the other company. Last year it was all about the K1300 and now the C14. Maybe next year it will be the FJR. All the ST's are pretty good, and IMO, gets now to looks, price ,cost of upkeep and ergonomics.

I honestly couldn't care less. The game is always one up the other company. Last year it was all about the K1300 and now the C14. Maybe next year it will be the FJR. All the ST's are pretty good, and IMO, gets now to looks, price ,cost of upkeep and ergonomics.
Agree. Everything you liked about your FJR when you got it is still there. Well, that plus all the other crap you then bought and glued on.

What do brits know about motor vehicles anyway? "Character" = fiddly bits to keep it running. Sure they had some great bikes and cars over the years but would you want to trust them in the middle of AZ or NV at 3am in the rain?

But, yeah, mags exist to trash last year's models and pimp what's new for newness sake. Was I pleased that the FJR gt top S-T pick for 3 years running? Sure! Was it what drew me to the bike? Nope!

Last edited by a moderator:
Actually I thought this line;

"Heavy, basic , old-school tourer is dependable, trustworthy, but not a patch on newer rivals."

described me better than it did the FJR.

Maybe that's why I bought one. :rolleyes:

That does it! My trusty FJR is junk. Screw the rice burners, beer burners, wine burners, tea burners.. Ahm gonna get me some real 'Merican arn. Soon as it's available a Motus will be in my garage!

I knew the price of my FJR was bordering on insulting and I bought it anyway. Next time I'll be smart and pay almost double for a BMW. BMW... not insulting, just pretentious.

I knew the price of my FJR was bordering on insulting and I bought it anyway. Next time I'll be smart and pay almost double for a BMW. BMW... not insulting, just pretentious.
"Heavy, basic , old-school tourer is dependable, trustworthy, but not a patch on newer rivals. 14k pound price verges on insulting. Ask if price is a typo."

Sounds like Yamaha, with the FJR, has finally achieved 'old-school BMW-dom'...? :unsure:

There was a time when BMWs lost every magazine comparison and the 'faithful' would say they didn't want any of those things that the winners had -- power, performance, looks, price, etc. "We like our slow, ponderous, expensive, ugly bikes...!" :eek: ;)

Compete or die -- unless, you've found a niche of uneducated non-discriminating buyers that are mired in nostalgia? :unsure:

...Heavy, basic , old-school tourer is dependable, trustworthy, but not a patch on newer rivals...
Hmm, sounds like the description they used to give to the first generation of the KLR. It was very successful and went on unchanged for 21 years.

Rick

Penis length aside, the FJR is getting long in the tooth.Kawi has made significant upgrades to their platform while the FJR, not anything, really.
Yep, 8years now without any significant changes other than more weight and slower. the 03's and 04's are still the fastest, so one could actually say they're going backwards. and it doesn't seem that any of the major moto-bike makers are putting any significant thrust into new models ..they can't sell the inventories of old stuff.
Good thing is that a lot of the guys that buy these don't ride much ...so when mine wears out I'll likely just go get another '04FJR or a Kawi ....unless someone else steps up and takes sport touring a step forward. Maybe the Honda rumors will result in something new, I'm not holding my breath though, the market/economy is too soft me thinks.

Well, a review like that should reduce the value by at least half. Maybe it's time to shop for a spare. B)

My FJR is still the great bike it was for me, the first time I pulled away from the dealer back in October of '03. It hasn't changed, and I haven't changed the smile I get when I wind it up and rip through the curves during my multi-state travels. :yahoo:

Anybody up for a ride? :clapping:

;)