Unhappy FJR owners?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
well said - any bike will wear your ass out after a long (hot, cold, dusty, dry, wet, all of the above) day of riding - but it hurts so good!

Last edited by a moderator:
I started a thread titled “ My FJR is Killing Me” a few weeks ago. Sounds like I'm complaining.....Brad is a Pussy

The purpose of the thread was not to complain about the FJR, but to get some insight as to why the ergonomics of the bike were affecting my ability to enjoy my highly anticipated new ride. It's not like we get to do a long-term test ride on these bikes before we buy them?!?

I just got back from a two-day trip to the North Georgia Mountains and did three runs of the Tail of the Dragon in Tennessee. TAIL OF THE DRAGON

For anyone that doesn’t know the TOD is the Mecca for Southern bikers. Hell, not even Southerners, I met three guys today from Philly who drove down just to do the Dragon. It’s 316 turns in 11 miles. I was hanging off that FJR and having so much fun, I couldn’t have cared how my ass felt. It was a great day on a great bike.

Let’s not confuse people’s initial reaction to this bike with “complaining”.

I love this bike. "Complaining" about this bike led to some great advice and encouragement.

Thank You!

I guess I don't understand....I don't post much but spend a lot of time reading the posts that are on here daily.It seems every week we see posts that read "Looking for an alternative to the FJR", "Can't ride my FJR longer than 1-2 hours, need different bike, give me your opinion." "Bike too tall, need a different one" " bike is top heavy can't deal with it". Well, I'm going to start a crap fest of opinions because here are my answers to those questions:
-If the bike was too tall, why did you buy it?

-I can ride my FJR for 10-12 hours a day, with easy mileage of over 500+ a day with very little issues, why the hell are you so picky?

-This isn't a car, if you didn't want your ass to hurt after an all day ride, buy a car, live in boredom. There's a little thing called "no pain, no gain", if you want the enjoyment of riding a bike, deal with being uncomfortable or buy a cruiser. Your ass will still hurt, trust me, I used to ride a VTX1800.

-If you want to complain about how your bike doesn't fit you, that you're not comfortable riding it, or don't feel confident riding it. Stop bitching and do something about it...Sell it, modify it, or give it away.

I personally believe that FJR's are the best Sport Tourer on the road in comfort, speed, agility and overall performance. I've ridden many different bikes and they all have their issues. stop wasting the forum's time. If you don't like your bike, do something about it.

Am I the only one that feels this way?

Ray
Howdy Ray,

All I can say is DITTO!

It's as the axiom goes: "The squeaky wheel gets the grease".

This is true. However, few people are aware of the corollary.

If you want to be a squeaky wheel, you better be prepared to stand the lube.

Well i had my first ride on a 2008 Hardly this week. They guy kept bugging me to take it for a ride. Even gave me his non dot helmet and shades to go with it of coarse, I apeased him wearing it also. No AtGatt here folks.

Well let me tell what a disapointment. Just a remake of 1970 piece of rattling shitmetal if i ever road one. My only caviet is it did shift better than my Feejer. OH SHIT i complained about my Beloved Feeej!!!! That's it, i am doooomed.

My black beauty won't respect me any more. :wub:

I know my ignition switch will probably melt on the way into work tomorrow. :superstition: Prayers needed.

This is a very good topic and I have enjoyed reading everyone's responses. I bought my FJR on a moments notice because I needed transportation for work when my car broke down on a Friday. By Saturday I was riding the bike home. I did very little home work before buying the bike, but I knew I wanted a sport touring bike. I just had no idea what a great bike I was getting. No bike is perfect right off the showroom floor for 100% of the buyers. That's what the after market companies are for! To fix up your bike to suit you. Improvise, Adapt, and Overcome (I'm retired AF, but I thank the Marines for that quote every day!)

I have rode many motorcycles, and currently own two my 2007 FJR and a 1994 HD. Without a doubt the FJR is one of the best all around motorcycles available. I love to ride the FJR but often ride the HD when I feel I need a change.

A good friend often says there is a seat for every a** and an a** for every seat. At 6-3 275 I have found that this is true.

PDXFJR is correct, if you don't like sell it or give it away, but don't complain.

DUDE! I got to get in on this. I have been biting my tongue for a year now. It seem to me if one little thing isn't just perfect, people (aka "The pussies") start crying like a 6yr old girl who just got her candy taken by her big brother. There is going to be something you don't like w/ everything in life. I can see it now, One of the "pussies" wins the lottery for 10 million, and then bitches about paying the tax on it even though he still has 5 million left. Give me a break. My be it is me, because I only get to ride maybe 5 months a year, and enjoy every min of it! If you don't like the bike there are a few things you can do to adjust those situations, heli risers, cc/throtle lock, seat, but if it bothers you that much, just sell the bike and buy a new one. Just my .02, and not worth to much, but some times you just need to shut up and ride.

Ok, I'll let folks pick on me...

I had no complaints about my FJR.

My complaints were:

my legs are kinda short for the FJR

It IS a big bike..

I had four bikes, and to get rid of three of them. (moving sucks big time)

I sold the FJR, the Triumph Speedmaster and the Bandit

because....

:ermm:

. no one wanted to buy my Harley....

As far as riding the FJR , it was wonderful...except for one thing....

it didn't like speed limits... :D

Mary

Dude.. The only thing he missed is perspective.

I mean, ride a 1982 sportster for an hour and perspective comes and takes place inmediatly.

FJR's are about the best rides around. If you dont feel that way just ride another bike and all the stormy clouds will clear above to reveal the truth. You have been a whiney B#tch!! lately. ;)

Those that don't like their FJR, ought to get a BMW. Very expensive to buy, very expensive to fix, known major design and engineering flaws that are not being addressed, all with a sparse dealer network. Been there, done that. No thanks, I'll take the FJR, thank you!

I have a complaint about my FJR...I am active duty Air Force and live on base, my commander hasnt said we are allowed to ride on base yet so I had to push my bike 3.8 miles to get it off base cause none of my boys with trailers would wake up early enough to help me trailer it out the gate. So with that I would have to say I hat my FJR when I have to push it before I can ride it. Other than that I wouldnt trade it for anything, well maybe for a cool million. Than I would just buy another one or two!
Yours is the first time I have ever heard of a base not allowing bikes at all. Sounds like the good ship Cain.