Unplanned trip to Anaheim April 30 - May 6

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Big-B

Reaction score
I am getting sent out to Anaheim for training May 3-6 with a co-worker that rides too. We're flying out Sat morning and planning to rent bikes and do some riding Sat-Mon.

Anybody know of good place to rent a couple bikes?

Anybody know of a good 2-day ride that we could do? Or want to be a tour guide? Hoping to spend some time on the coast.

Appreciate any help. Would be nice to get to meet up with a few of you people on the west coast.

Brian

ummmm now that sounds like fun.......where do you fancy going?

we know lots of 2 day rides just depends on where you want to go and how fast you wanna get there?

what kinda bikes you want?

R

oppps that my tech weekend, you are welcome to come hang out.

we could certainly do some fun stuff on the sunday.

R

I saw your tech day post last night when I finally got connected to here again. Just missed, I'll be getting home on the red-eye Sat morning instead.

I'm hoping to find a sport touring bike since I fit on most of those. Not planning on sport bikes since we are going to be riding for a couple days.

Neither of us are super committed to any destinations. I'm definitely more interested in the twisties. Tony, my co-worker, is interested in riding on the coast for a while. The more videos he watches the more he likes the idea of the mountain and canyon ride, so we'll see.

Tony has just moved off a Harley and started riding a Hayabusa last summer.

Brian

big-b, you definitely need a big bike. I am actually surprised with your large frame that you even fit on an FJR. (and I do mean large...not fat like the el robusto freaks on this board :D )

And your friend, HD to a Busa? Is he a good rider? How many miles are you guys planning on riding per day?

Last edited by a moderator:
The FJR is pretty good for me. Knees don't hit the tank, fairings or cylinder heads...

I tried to sell him my '05 but he's short and the Busa fit him the best of anything he tried. He's a pretty good rider, an old moto-crosser. He hasn't put in a lot of all-day rides, not sure how many miles we'll get in a day. I'll probably be planning on a less aggressive time schedule. And not worrying if we don't make the whole route. So long as we can get back on Monday...

I know you couldnt open my link on the other site so I copied the turn by turn directions. This would be a great two day ride. First day you hit the twisties up to Monterey and day 2 you come back down the coast. I started and stopped the route at LAX but this shoudl give you a good idea.

S Sepulveda Blvd

1. Head north on S Sepulveda Blvd toward W 89th St

1.4 mi

2. Slight right at Howard Hughes Pkwy

0.4 mi

3. Take the ramp onto I-405 N

4.4 mi

4. Take exit 53B for Santa Monica Fwy

0.2 mi

5. Keep left at the fork and merge onto I-10 W/Santa Monica Fwy

3.9 mi

6. Continue onto CA-1 N/Pacific Coast Hwy

16.2 mi

7. Turn right at Latigo Canyon Rd

10.2 mi

8. Turn right at S Kanan Dume Rd

0.6 mi

9. Sharp left at Mulholland Hwy

0.9 mi

10. Slight right to stay on Mulholland Hwy

2.4 mi

11. Turn right at CA-23 N/Decker Canyon Rd

Continue to follow CA-23 N

5.3 mi

12. Merge onto CA-23 N/US-101 N via the ramp to Ventura

Continue to follow US-101 N

30.1 mi

13. Take exit 70B for California 33 N toward Ojai

0.2 mi

14. Merge onto CA-33 N

13.3 mi

15. Turn left to stay on CA-33 N

57.2 mi

16. Turn left at CA-166 W

62.1 mi

17. Turn right to merge onto US-101 N

77.1 mi

18. Take exit 252 to merge onto Jolon Rd toward Ft Hunter Liggett

21.6 mi

19. Turn left at Mission Rd

3.1 mi

20. Turn left at Nacimiento-Fergusson Rd

0.8 mi

21. Turn left to stay on Nacimiento-Fergusson Rd

24.2 mi

22. Turn right at CA-1 N/Cabrillo Hwy

This road is closed until Apr 30

56.3 mi

392 mi – about 8 hours 22 mins

CA-1 N

23. Head northeast on CA-1 N toward Exit 399B

0.4 mi

24. Take exit 399B toward Monterey

0.4 mi

25. Merge onto Munras Ave

387 ft

26. Sharp left to stay on Munras Ave

0.1 mi

27. Take the ramp onto CA-1 S/Cabrillo Hwy

133 mi

28. Turn left at Olive St

390 ft

29. Slight right to merge onto US-101 S

184 mi

30. Take exit 19A for I-405 S/San Diego Fwy

0.7 mi

31. Merge onto I-405 S

15.2 mi

334 mi – about 6 hours 9 mins

up to 7 hours 20 mins in traffic

google

oppps that my tech weekend, you are welcome to come hang out.

we could certainly do some fun stuff on the sunday.

R
Your tech day is the weekend after. He wants to ride the 30th - 2nd. You need to show him around slacker :p

I would show him around if I wasn't going to be stuck working at the laughlin river run. I am so not looking forward to hanging out with the harley tards.

Tried different computer and it came right up.

That looks like a nice route. I'll look at that one with Tony and see what he thinks.

Tried different computer and it came right up.

That looks like a nice route. I'll look at that one with Tony and see what he thinks.
I had an error on that route. I forgot to include nacimeinto lake road and G14.Both awesome roads.

Heads up- there was a mudslide on PCH near Gorda and took out part of the road. Caltrans is saying it will open on the 30th. Go here caltrans a day or two before to check if the road is open.

Updated Route

Looks like a great route, but wasn't there a slide on hwy 1 south of Monterey with detours??

Yep and you replied as I was editing :D The detour is south of naciemento road so this would only affect his ride back down the coast.

Caltrans is saying open by April 30th but you never really can trust those dates.

Looks like a great route, but wasn't there a slide on hwy 1 south of Monterey with detours??

Yep and you replied as I was editing :D The detour is south of naciemento road so this would only affect his ride back down the coast.

Caltrans is saying open by April 30th but you never really can trust those dates.
For a guy living in Corona, you're all right, jes sayin... :p

I don't get down south enough to be really familiar with what you have to offer a visitor, but when I read the first post, the one thing that jumped into my mind was "33 north out of Ojai." What a fun road! Sounds like a GREAT recommendation, ynotride! Have a fun visit, BigB.

If Naciamento-Ferguson Rd. is still being used as a detour for the PCH, it might be ugly with traffic. Cross your fingers and hope it's not. Great fun stretch.

I googled Motorcycle rentals in Anaheim and werentmotorcycles.com came up. Very nice selection of bikes, perhaps a Connie for you and even a Busa for your bud.

I have flown and rented a couple times, so much fun. Bring your Helmet and gear and your good to go.

I am getting sent out to Anaheim for training May 3-6 with a co-worker that rides too. We're flying out Sat morning and planning to rent bikes and do some riding Sat-Mon.

Anybody know of good place to rent a couple bikes?

Anybody know of a good 2-day ride that we could do? Or want to be a tour guide? Hoping to spend some time on the coast.

Appreciate any help. Would be nice to get to meet up with a few of you people on the west coast.

Brian
Check this link out. They are located in Brea, Ca. close to Anahiem.

https://www.streeteagle.com/locindex.php?22