US Riders need Canadian proof of Insurance

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mohawk

Reaction score
All going to the 2012 NAFO

I called my insurance carrier asking if I needed anything special to ride in Canada. They said I did and mailed me a special non resident proof of insurance!

Mohawk

Since CFO in Nakusp a few years back, I always ask for the Canadian form when I renew my insurance. I make two laminated copies of the yearly documents, with the registration card on one side, and my California insurance card and my Canadian form on the back. One copy goes under the seat (so it's always available), and one goes in my tank bag. It has worked well for me.

glad to help...i keep getting beat up about not posting...so glad that when I do...it helps out...

ride safe...hope to see you at NAFO

Hmmm.... I've been to Canada 3 years in a row now and I've never heard that or been asked about it when going in. Is is something you NEED or is it something you'll hope you have if you wreck up there??

Hmmm.... I've been to Canada 3 years in a row now and I've never heard that or been asked about it when going in. Is is something you NEED or is it something you'll hope you have if you wreck up there??
I've gotten one the last couple trips, 'cuz I heard you might need it at the border, or if stopped, or if, heaven forbid, you had an "incident." (We'll just call it an "incident.") It's good for a finite period. So far, never been asked to show it, but all it took was a phone call to my agent. It came in the mail--free--in a couple days. Maybe if I keep getting one, I'll never need it. Worth a try.

I checked with State Farm last week and was told, since SF does business in Canada, I did not need more than the form I am required to carry in my state.

But, since he and I were traveling to Canada this summer, he had Canadian cards made for both of us to carry up there. No big deal: just a click of the computer key.

Since the border is so close, I've made a habit of getting the Non-Resident card whenever renewal comes up.

Haven't been asked for it...yet!

--G

One thing you may want to consider getting is short term medical insurance for outside the US. WIth the life flight and family fly in provisions. It is cheap, but covers you in a foreign country. I think is was $100 last year for my wife and me for a 12 day trip in Canada. It will save you a lot of hassels if something should happen.

First time I ear about US Riders need Canadian proof of Insurance, all my rides are in the US (N.Y., Vermont and Maine) and I have a Canadian proof of Insurance but no US proof of Insurance. All you need is a proof of Insurance from your Insurance, period.

My wife wreck her bike (she was not injured) in N.Y. State 2 years ago, wee had no problem whatsoever with insurance neither with law enforcement officer.

First time I heard about US Riders need Canadian proof of Insurance, all my rides are in the US (N.Y., Vermont and Maine) and I have a Canadian proof of Insurance but no US proof of Insurance. All you need is a proof of Insurance from your Insurance, period.

My wife wreck her bike (she was not injured) in N.Y. State 2 years ago, wee had no problem whatsoever with insurance neither with law enforcement officer.
WRONG! This is directly from the American Automobile Association website and the wording is the same with Allstate insurance (my bikes are insured with AAA, my Jeep and my boats are insured with Allstate!). This is a Frostbackland Law, not a Estados Unidos Law ese!

Do I need a non-residence car insurance card while visiting Canada?

Yes, if you are traveling to Canada for a visit or vacation then you request from your insurance agent a non-residence inter-province motor vehicle liability insurance card. This card should show that you are properly insured by your insurance carrier while driving within the borders of Canada.

To make certain that your insurance policy allows you to travel to Canada and thus extends your coverages for you to this region, check with your insurance agent. He or she should be able to let you know if your current coverages will be enough for Canadian laws for the area in Canada in which you are driving.

If your current insurance will cover you, you should ask your insurance company for a yellow Non-resident Inter-Province Motor Vehicle Liability Insurance Card. This card signifies that your insurance company has agreed to provide coverage of not less than the minimum legal requirement in any Canadian jurisdiction in which you will travel.

Keep this insurance card in your vehicle as proof of your insurance if requested by a police officer. You will also need to keep your car's registration paperwork with you to show authorities if asked.

Last edited by a moderator:
WRT: Out of country medical Ins.

I have/had Out of Country Medical as part of my coverage at work. But my last couple of trips down I couldn't determine whether my policy actually does have it despite repeated requests.

Solution, play it safe. I bought OCM through CAA (AAA) for the time I'm visiting. Last trip, SE Ohio, it was less than $25 - Underwritten by Manulife.

I know that Yzerman's buddy Dean who threw his ST1100 off the road went through a bit of a chore getting things straightened out in the hospital regarding medical insurance.

In this case, it's a no brainer. It's cheap and easy to get. Cover yo ass!

Last edited by a moderator:
Just curious ... as this medical insurance discussion is at odds with the experiences of a US Citizen friend living in Montana. Several decades ago he was hiking in northern Glacier NP and broke his ankle. The Canadians rescued him and flew him to a Canadian hospital. He never saw a bill ... assumed it was the canadian national health insurance which covered it.

Perhaps I misunderstood the situation? Or has it changed? Maybe he got lucky?

Just curious ... as this medical insurance discussion is at odds with the experiences of a US Citizen friend living in Montana. Several decades ago he was hiking in northern Glacier NP and broke his ankle. The Canadians rescued him and flew him to a Canadian hospital. He never saw a bill ... assumed it was the canadian national health insurance which covered it.

Perhaps I misunderstood the situation? Or has it changed? Maybe he got lucky?
He may very have gotten lucky, or it may be an Alberta thing.

I know in my local hospital's ER, their non-resident rates for care are posted at the admitting desk.

a day in ICU is over $1500, surgical costs extra etc, etc

About 9 yrs ago my g/f's Swiss dad had a heart attack while here visiting his daughter. He almost had another one when he got the bill after he was released 10 days later

:(