V-strom: big difference

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Enn

Reaction score
Today I had a first chance to have a longer ride on my new buddy, about 2 hours or so. What a difference compared to Feejer!

In one hand it is much more nimble, really easy going in twisties and parking place. However, on a bumpy road it takes all the bumps pretty hard so that your body feels each and every one. I guess it is because it is so light. Feejer, in contrast, irons out most of the bumps so that you only see them, but do not feel much. Pretty exciting to have 2 so different natures ...

haTn1cd.jpg

qxgSZpN.jpg

I agree about the handling and the ride. Another thing you will notice is the great mileage. I put 4000 miles on my wee this winter and other than the lack of decent wind protection had a ball.

I just sold my uncle's weestrom for him, he followed me from NY to Montana last summer. He did pretty well, until we hit winds. The front fork on his (with an aftermarket fork brace) would bend and twist under cross winds and he was completely white knuckled at various points of the trip. I rode it a bunch after he flew home, and I actually enjoyed the bike a lot, but I noticed the fork issues. But I've got 50 lbs on him. I've seen some comments on Vstrom forums about it but not widespread. I wonder if it could be sorted out with some thoughtful scientific method work but I guess those forks are long and thin, and it just is a characteristic that lighter folks have to deal with.