V Strom handguard issue

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Toecutter

What would DoG do?
Reaction score
Did I miss something? The clip end (2nd gen.) pulls against the grip housing and keeps the throttle from returning smoothly. I've trimmed the grip all the way back to the underlying material and it rubs on that. Not that big a deal, unless I decide to ride a rally and have to stand inspection. :banned: :(

I have the big ass Top Gun bar ends, as well as a Vista Cruise and the center spring disconnected. My throttle has never been a smooth returner. But I did not notice a change for the worse after the handguard install. Since it's plastic, it could have been a little malformed when molded. I would try using a heat gun, and stretching it out a bit.

I loosened the brake lever bracket and moved it closer towards the throttle housing, and then used the Dremmel tocarve out a little of the plastic of the handguard, him no rub anymore.

Skippy

When I installed them I found the same difficulty on the throttle side. I've got stock bar-ends (w/factory heated grips) an to remedy the severe friction, I removed the bar-end and put a couple of spacer washers under it and then re-installed. Problem solved.

Did I miss something? The clip end (2nd gen.) pulls against the grip housing and keeps the throttle from returning smoothly. I've trimmed the grip all the way back to the underlying material and it rubs on that. Not that big a deal, unless I decide to ride a rally and have to stand inspection. :banned:   :(
Hey Toecutter don't sweat it. I doubt you are doing anything wrong. I've done a couple of the farkles various people have [SIZE=21pt]RAGED[/SIZE] about only to find some minor details left out. I'll probably try the hand-guard farkle later. I'm really not surprised you had an issue....

Hmm. I don't notice a rub either. I did have to hack off a bit from the BWM sport grips I have on it.

Did I miss something? The clip end (2nd gen.) pulls against the grip housing and keeps the throttle from returning smoothly. I've trimmed the grip all the way back to the underlying material and it rubs on that. Not that big a deal, unless I decide to ride a rally and have to stand inspection. :banned:   :(
Hey Toecutter don't sweat it. I doubt you are doing anything wrong. I've done a couple of the farkles various people have [SIZE=21pt]RAGED[/SIZE] about only to find some minor details left out. I'll probably try the hand-guard farkle later. I'm really not surprised you had an issue....
Basically there are 2 kinds of farkles.

1) The parts are made specifically for the application. Your make and model of bike. The supplier advertises that it will fit and you have a right to expect them to stand behing their product.

2) Home grown farkles where we adapt things made for one purpose and make them work on our bike either as they come or with modification. I think of this type of farkling as hot rodding. When you are hot rodding you are usually making a trade off. Maybe the handguards wuill keep your hands warm but they create some friction or other clearance problems. Your choice how to deal with it. Hot rodding is not for everyone. You need to be very careful not to create a dangerous situation like maybe if the throttle does not return in an emergency situation.

When I was younger, I recall some guys raging about quittin' school and getting a job so they could own a hot rod.

They left out a few details.

They raged about life in the Army.

Once again details were lacking.

Marriage.

Ditto.

Kids.

Drinking.

Gambling.

Ford Pintos.

As it turns out, some of this shit I had to figure out myself. No Hitchikers Guide to life and all it's elements was or is available.

Somehow, I have survived it. All of it. You will too. Or not. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Man, a guy whines about the fit of his farkle and you guys come up with some pretty cool philosophy about it. Pretty good for December reading.

Off topic, Radman, your new avatar is totally inspirational. I'd love to get a bigger image of that and use it as my Christmas...errr...HOLIDAY card this year. Most excellent.

Okay, I got this figured out. Apparently the PO of my bike moved the brake lever housing inward to make room for a throttle lock. Now I either need to lose the throttle lock (which also binds the throttle return some) or tweak the guard per some excellent suggestions from the group. The battle rages on...

Last edited by a moderator:
Now I either need to lose the throttle lock (which also binds the throttle return some) or tweak the guard per some excellent suggestions from the group. The battle rages on...
Hey anyone, where's the install tips for this farkle? search gets me no where. I ordered the parts yesterday. What does one do if he doesn't own a dremel? Sounds like this is going to interfere with my throttlemister CC right?

Now I either need to lose the throttle lock (which also binds the throttle return some) or tweak the guard per some excellent suggestions from the group. The battle rages on...
Hey anyone, where's the install tips for this farkle? search gets me no where. I ordered the parts yesterday. What does one do if he doesn't own a dremel? Sounds like this is going to interfere with my throttlemister CC right?

Regurgitated from my earlier post. ;)

+1 on the hand guard fitting with the TM. The only thing I different than what I see in the linked photo is I trimmed the plastic to fit between the TM and grip, so it looks like it's fastened. Even though it is not locked down in this position, it is still plenty rigid for the required task.

Quote from mpres62: I actually sacrificed the barend attachment of my v-strom guards and it works fine for my throttlemeister. v-strom handguard without barend attachment

How can you not own a Dremel-like tool? You need to own a Dremel! At least I do. I use it for hundreds of tasks it was poorly designed for (especially with its cut-off wheels...).

How can you not own a Dremel-like tool? You need to own a Dremel! At least I do. I use it for hundreds of tasks it was poorly designed for (especially with its cut-off wheels...).
Mine is a Craftsman with about a 30" flexible shaft. Works great, variable speed and a bunch of attachments. About a hundred bucks a few years ago.

I used a utility knife to cut mine out to fit. WARNING. I'm not liable if you slip and cut yourself. This may not be the safest way to do it, but it worked out fine for me.

Grady A. Dunham

I just finished installing my handgaurds and have no problems with throttle binding. I even have ye olde Vista Cruise installed...no problems. I did take some people's suggestion and shave down the shouldered area of the lever pivot bolt for the throttle side, and threaded it further up. Sits down flush now like the clutch side. Now if the snow would go away, I could try them out. :angry: :angry: We got around 4 more inches of pure slushy crap today! It's made for some infuriating driving to and from work...TOO MANY IDIOTS!!!

:agent: I just installed a set and I had to grind and tread the hardware more on the throttle side also I have the throttlemeister and I just matched the O.D. with the dreimel and drum sander. Everything works great looks clean.

Thanks, Dan

Anyone got the suzuki part numbers? I ordered the parts 2 weeks ago and FOUR hand guards show up that were for the 650. This Suzuki stealer is possibly the most incompetent I have ever dealt with.