valve adjustment

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nubfjr

Reaction score
doing my valve adjustment...what a pain in the a&&! 2006 fjr

anyway, get all this stuff back together and i got a coolant leak...ugh! so i had to take apart again. But new parts are on order and deciding to replace the valve cover gasket (i was going to reuse the old one) but i dont' want to have to do this again, so safe rather than sorry.

question though..in the manual it states to use three bond 1514 and three bond 1215 on the valve cover...i found info on the 1215 stuff...but nada on the 1514...even contacted three bond, they have no info...so i'm assuming its a typo. What say you gents? do you just use 1215 all around?

Most guys reuse the old gasket multiple times without adding more sealant and have had no issues. If you haven't already read through this, Fred offers some pretty good insight as to what he did successfully. Good luck and although it's a pain in the arse, at least we know a dis-interested wrench at a dealer didn't screw up something else on your pride and joy, when we do the job ourselves.

https://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index.php/topic/149508-valve-shimming-look-like-my-luck-has-run-out/ Post #20 details gasket

doing my valve adjustment...what a pain in the a&&! 2006 fjr
anyway, get all this stuff back together and i got a coolant leak...ugh! so i had to take apart again. But new parts are on order and deciding to replace the valve cover gasket (i was going to reuse the old one) but i dont' want to have to do this again, so safe rather than sorry.

question though..in the manual it states to use three bond 1514 and three bond 1215 on the valve cover...i found info on the 1215 stuff...but nada on the 1514...even contacted three bond, they have no info...so i'm assuming its a typo. What say you gents? do you just use 1215 all around?
The coolant leak is probably one of the orings on the coolant tubes that go through the vavle cover. no need to lift the valve cover unless you have an oil leak. When you put new orings on the collant tubes, grease them before you slide the coolant tube back in place so they don't get caught.

great...thanks for the info! so it can be reused! cool!

yeah that was it, it was pissing out of both outlets (or inlets)

Reuse the valve cover gasket. Mine came loose so I cleaned out the channel on the cover and used a small amount of O2 sensor safe RTV (Permatex) to "glue" the gasket to the cover. (let it cure for an hour or two before installation)

Re: coolant leak - did you replace and lubricate both o-rings on the pipe? Also a good idea to make sure the opening that contacts the o-rings is clean and free of particulates.

actually, the story goes i bought new o-rings...but the bike is over the bro's garage and he's a clean freak...so i put the bag down and left he parts in it! he throws it out so i went and used the old rings! ugh! so now i know.

new o-rings are on order but didn't realize you can get them from home depot super cheap...but they're ordered, what the heck. I used dialetric grease to lube them but still had the leak.

i would always use new O-rings, and I keep enough spares for at least two sets. I use the OEM Yammy ones because not all O-rings are created of equal materials. The cheapie home plumbers may be OK, but will they stand up to oil and anti-freeze? Don't know. Viton ones are the best, you'll pay more and get them at your local industrial/auto supplier. Silicone grease too, not petrol based grease (unless Viton), and you don't want to worry about that trace of oil slick you might see in your coolant fill tube one day.

For the valve cover gasket, run down to your local parts jobber and ask for a 3M product with an industry name of "Gorilla Snot" Use sparingly...works great! I used it all the time when working at the dealership as a full time automotive technician.

You should be happy you have an '06 rather than an earlier model. On the earlier models the thermostat and its bulky housing assembly are closely coupled to the coolant piping just above the engine head. It's a much bigger hassle to get all that mess oriented correctly when you're removing/installing the coolant pipes atop the engine.

With regards to the two o-rings on the coolant pipes -- I reused the old ones the first time I checked the valve clearances. Maybe I was fortunate -- nothing leaked. I do recall that the o-ring cross sections were no longer round when I reused them. Yet, they didn't leak.

It's quite important I believe to remove all the grit and grime which accumulates around the pipes. A small bit of crud might defeat the o-rings and of course you don't want any foreign material getting down in the coolant passages.

Just don't get in a hurry. Take your time and proceed carefully.

i got it back together this weekend....ohhhh, (gen I) so that's the reason for that extra o-ring...i just had 2 to replace on that pipe. So on saturday i put it back together, filled it with coolant, and noticed the 'pockets' where the pipe goes into the head were leaking! i didn't seat the o-rings correctly. argh! so i had to take it off and be gentle to make sure the o-rings were properly seated.

so all is well, took it for a test ride and no leaks...yes!

Also make sure you use the gixxerjasen tried and true method of knocking the o rings off the bike and then spending a 30 minute futile search for them in the dark spider webby corners of the garage, then go to the auto parts store 5 minutes before closing to buy a box of assorted sized o rings and return to your garage and discover the missing o ring out in plain sight right under your bike. Mine didn't leak a bit.
biggrin.png