Valve cover gasket replacement

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have to replace the valve cover gasket on my 04. In the service manual, it says to apply bond T1451 to the valve cover mating surfaces and bond YGK8624-C1 to the head mating surfaces. Can't find a cross reference. Any suggestions?

O2 sensor-safe silicone (I used the grey stuff for gaskets). Clean (thoroughly) the groove in the cover and put a SMALL bead of the silicone in the groove. Install the gasket, squeezing it well into the groove. Wipe away the excess silicone that got squeezed out. Let it cure for a few hours.

Never used anything on the head mating surface. No leaks and the stuff holds the gasket while trying to maneuver the cover into place.

Worked for me!

Last edited by a moderator:
My manual says to use Three Bond 1514 (whatever that is, I can't seem to cross reference it) between the gasket and cover...in the groove of the cover. I've had my bike since new and the first time I replaced the gasket, it was held to the cover with a hardened type of sealant, so I use Yamabond 5. It's worked fine for me. It says to use Three Bond 1215 (Yamabond 4) on the half moon portions only, between the gasket and head.

My 07 at 80,000 mile has the original and it's been off three times and still working fine. It still feels flexible, the first time I did the valve check the gasket pretty much fell off and I could tell that it wasn't going to go back on with out being stuck to the cover.

I have been using a product called "Right Stuff" from Permatex for quite awhile and like it well as it stays flexible just like the gasket . I put a thin layer in the groove and seated the gasket then just put the cover on and let it cure. Never a problem.

Ummmm... Has anyone besides El Toro Joe and myself noticed that this is in the EOM Section?
worriedsmiley.gif
whistle.gif

Thanks for the help guys. I ended up using a permatex product called ULTRA rubber gasket sealant and dressing. Sorry about the posting error. I guess I put it here because I was reading about the EOM. Haven't been to one since 04, may try again.